Melbourne CBD recommendations please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Melbourne CBD recommendations please

Im venturing down to one of my favourite places in a few weeks - Melbourne - and am thinking about making a visit to one or two commercial purveyors of caffeine based beverages, because I know that its not a waste of time doing so in that part of the world.  Now - I know that Melbourne has many fine cafes but would welcome one or two "must not miss" suggestions in town.  I know that that place next to where the kranskis are sold (?) at the Queen Vic Markets is pretty good, but, some of you folks know better than me.  Please make your recommendations known. Might start a fun debate!!!

Re: Melbourne CBD recommendations please

Maltitude gets my vote if youre in the CBD.

Comment

ditto Maltitude. Id say that theyd give the banner of the best coffee in Victoria a real run for its money.... ...or if youre a masochist- try Pellegrinis ;D

Comment

Hi all!

After a recommendation from Chris (2muchcoffeeman) I had the pleasure of experiencing Maltitudes finest earlier in the week.

The Barista (Andrew) prepared a range of different brews to quench my thirst (Read: address my cravings) and I must say it is the best commercially prepared coffee I have tasted - with the exception of BG&D!

So now when my interstate collegues visit, Maltitude we will attend! ;D ;D

Regards,

James

Comment

Too kind James and very flattering- but I aspire to the consistency and excellence of Maltitude... Glad that you enjoyed the coffee at both locations

Comment

Wow - a hot tip there - and nobody willing to start a war!!!.   Maltitude it is, then.  Ill be there to say "A large cup of your finest mugacino - and no less than 43 beans, my good man".  Cant wait.  Thanks for the advice.    If youre in there between July 3 and 6, Ill be the guy passed out on the floor with 16 empty ristretto glasses/cups lined up on the table, with Andrew saying "Wheres that guy who just ordered another 12 espressi?" :P

Comment

hope you find time to give bg&d a shot too! ;D

Comment

Originally posted by 2muchcoffeeman link=1117519796/0#6 date=1117770806
                hope you find time to give bg&d a shot too!  ;D
                Nice to have an unbiased recommendation, 2mcm !! ;D

I will - whats the address? :

Comment

539 Middleborough Rd, Box Hill North or 224 St Georges Rd, Northcote. If youd like to message me, Ill try to pop in and make you one personally . Would also suggest you might like to try Batch in Carlisle St, Balaclava and Atomica in Brunswick St, Fitzroy (tho Andrew at Maltitude uses Atomica anyway ;D)

Chris

Comment

I am back from Melbourne and had the pleasure of having the Maltitude experience.  Introduced myself to Andrew and he extracted some choice ristretti and espressi for me.  What a friendly guy!  They were extremely busy, but the place has a laid-back but quality feel to it.  Somehow the crowd evaporated for a few minutes and I was looked after in a very special way.  Absolutely dosed to the eyeballs - and loved it!!  Thanks for the recommendation, guys.  

Comment

Maltitude ROCKS!

My working day doesnt start without a caffine fix from maltitude. Nothing else in the CBD comes close...

Sometimes I feel guilty drinking andrews art.

Cheers,
                      Dave.

Comment

ive only ordered coffee once from maltitude, and wasnt that impressed. it wasnt a bad coffee, but not necessarily great.

i used to go to pettzo last year, but they changed barristas and then changed owners, and have been avg ever since.

i usually stick to barristas inside the building now.

Comment

My wife and I went to Melbourne in May and we didnt have (by our standards) a bad coffee anywhere. In that regard, Id say Melbourne is better than Sydney where it is difficult to find a good coffee (still, it is better than Perth or Tasmania where good coffee are two words that dont go together. In Perth, the only consistent coffee is Gloria Jeans).

We tried one place in Melbourne which had been recommended and had good write-ups but didnt find it to be that brilliant (not Maltitude).

Im reluctant to name the places we tried cos I feel wed be laughed at because we thought they were OK. The problem is, of course, that taste is subjective.

Ron (donning flame suit)

Comment

hmm
                            if you cant get a good coffee in Sydney maybe you need to come into the city..... There are quite a few good ones out here

Comment

Originally posted by clarexican link=1117519796/0#13 date=1121787221
                              hmm
                              if you cant get a good coffee in Sydney maybe you need to come into the city..... There are quite a few good ones  out here
                              Id certainly appreciate some names of places worth trying. Theres so many in Sinney that sorting the beans from the chaff isnt so easy. I tend to avoid coffee after meals because its rare for a restaurant to be able to make decent coffee. My wife sticks to hot chocolate cos good coffee is hard to find.

I do admit that since taking redundancy from my job at Paddo 4 years ago, I rarely travel to the city. I hate the crowds. I now work in the Blue Mountains and at a much more relaxed pace.

At Paddo I used to frequent Cafe Brioso (now Perry Lane). I thought they were pretty good.

Ron

Comment

Working...
                              X