How many Green Beans do you have?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many Green Beans do you have?

Lately theres been an interest expressed amoung users about how many beans people keep on hand, so we thought wed find out.

With potentially sharp increases in green coffee bean prices forcast for this summers harvest some people are stashing away extra beans as a hedge.

Has this projected price increase affected your bean buying habits or is this the amount of beans you usually keep on-hand?

Java "Tell us about your beans" phile
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Re: How many Green Beans do you have?

Java (full of beans phile)

Yes, store them beans carefully

ELSE

--> has BEENS

Grant

Comment

LOL Nice one Grant! : ;D :

So you going to tell us how many beans you have in that secret larder of yours?

Java "Has been beaned" phile

Comment

Dear Java (full of caffeine inside and out phile):

Being a responsible and upright CS member I filled in the Survey. I am in the less than 5kg. I am still finding my taste buds/feet etc re different coffees. Up until my rebirthing here at CS and seeing the light(s) (from my Silvia) I used to just order my Mocha/Java blend from Alan Frew. This is a very fine bean mix I must say but I am trying other beans now to see how they stack up. I want to go through the whole 3kg newbie pack before I order any more although I have just ordered more decaf. The decaf is a great coffee, for a decaf, very impressed. I mean you dont expect decaf to make the heavens open and the angels sing but it comes surprisingly close. I wasnt impressed by the Bolivian but so far most of these coffees are more acidic, sour than my palate is used to so. I just posted a negative comment on the Bolivian but I will roast some more up in the weeks ahead and see if I change my mind at all.

Cheers,
        Grant

Comment

Hey Grant,

If your roasts are tasting sour I would suspect that your extraction water isnt hot enough or the beans are either under-roasted or are being roasted too fast.

Have you run any coffee through your espresso machine that was roasted elsewhere? Did it too taste sour?

Oh DOH! I wasnt seeing any results in the poll and thought nobody had voted. Then I realized I wasnt seeing any results because I hadnt voted yet!

Java "Smacking his forehead" phile

Comment

Java (helpful advice phile):

Yes, you should vote since you live in one of the biggest democracies in the world. Bolivian Carnavi for President.

No, I dont think it is the extraction as I have over and under extracted getting the grind right. It is also something I havent experienced in the years I have been drinking the Mocha/Java blend from Alan. I am fairly sure that this is a characteristic of the bean. I have been going through my www.home-barista.com/espresso-guide.html and they mention sourness from high grown vines and riley Brasils and the trick is to let the first few seconds of the shot which contain most of the acids, go into the tray. This can reduce the acid in the shot.

I have since tried the Brazilian Macaubus and that too is sour although with a bit more flavour on the palate. I have now roasted some Java which might be quite bland but I suspect much less acid in comparison. I should brew some up now for a taste just to see.

On sweet marias sight she give the Bolivian coffee 9.0 for acidity so acidity(high) is a characteristic.

It looks like Brazilian is lower in acid and Java still lower again (7.5). Looks like the Bolivian/Brazilian might be better blended.

The Java I just did a shot, not a brilliant one as I have only just (about two hours ago) roasted it but it is a very pleasant soft coffee with lower acidity (very noticeably less acid). I think maybe this is more my style. Certainly a Brazilian and Java might be a good combination.

Interesting doing all these comparisons, I really am learning things about coffee and the different types.

Cheers,

Grant

Comment

Hhhmm...I dont normally associate sourness with acidity. But then again if you read my review of the Caranavi in the cupping section youll see I thought it was some of the least acidic coffee Ive ever had. ;D

Java "Always looking for new beans" phile

Comment

So is anybody else squirreling some beans away against the expected price hike in a few months or am I the only one?

Java "Beans! Must have more beans!" phile

Comment

I dont think Im squirreling, i just cant help it.. I have to have them all!!!!

Comment

Me too. I am not hoarding, but I am just tempted too easily

Comment

<Shocked look of dismay> Im not hoarding! Im merely being economicaly sensible! ;D : ;D

Hoarding will be, *ahem* I mean would be, when I hit 300kg. ;D ;D

Even at 150kg Id still merely be a packrat. ;D

Java "This will be a problem on the sailboat!" phile

Comment

Quite true, Javaphile. I applaud your sense of economic efficiency. More power to you, I say!

Comment

Java isnt hoarding he is just copying the squirrels and preparing for winter (well prepare all summer long).

...Image/Java with his cheeks bulging with the best Bolivian La Paz Stratosphere bean /Image.

hardy hardy har

Grant

Comment

Now if Java starts eating those green beans then mysteriously comes up with a new really nutty blend....Im gonna be suss....real suss -kopi luwak style  ;D

Comment

Hi All,

Ive never really thought of it as hoarding or squirreling away, more like an investment in future satisfaction. But then again, maybe hoarding some away is not such a bad idea....

Hmmmm, have got about 40Kgs stashed away in various cupboards, nooks and crannies.... now where else can I stow them, I know! The Linen Cupboard. ;D The bags almost look like old pillows, sort of, so shouldnt attract any attention.

Whats that dear? What am I mumbling about the Linen Cupboard for? Oh nothing, nothing at all, just looking for a new, errr, pillowslip, thats all. Ah well, so much for the Linen Cupboard, now where else can I look......

Mal.

Comment

Working...
                              X