Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Epic

8-)

The black plastic is down, the latte glasses are up, the lights are on and the clock is ticking.

In one hour Epic will be opening their doors and Im getting a bit keen.

Normally that that excited by places opening but Ive been up scouting and the signs are promising - Ive also taken a few quick early pictures and Ive got the digie with me to take up there a bit later.

Ive not had coffee at all for 18 hours, and Im steering clear of my colleagues peppermint jar.

Once Im back Ill make a quick preliminary post and then tonight I will do a really big blog entry on Epic with all the photos and link to it from here.

Ill be paying particular attention to the shots pulled from those big Synessos!

Unfortunately I have no way to download the pictures at work so itll have to wait till home.

Re: Epic

I was into my second shot before the question was asked – “are you Grendel?”

By this time I’d already committed to a third coffee and made it as far as a fourth.

The first shot was the custom blend – five senses beans. Wow.

The crema was a ruddy rich reflection of the coffee underneath. I can’t say how long it would have persisted, because I wanted to pop the shot quickly. The aroma was amazingly complex and I fear that most of the espresso shots I have had before today were in fact pretty weak stuff. It’s a bit like having Cadbury dairy milk, nice enough in its own way, but then someone lets you try a handmade chocolate from premium stock – you really notice the difference. Maybe the analogy is closer to that of wine – A good cab sauv next to a great cab Sauv you will enjoy the first, but experience the second.

That’s what these shots were – experiencing coffee.

Mouth feel was immense, a rich, complex sustained chord. Unique in my experience (which I will admit is limited).

The aroma while tasting was a timber caramel with a little fruitiness like stewed prunes in a dry oaky port.

The acidity was balanced, there was a genuine spiciness to the coffee which added to the complexity and the aftertaste was chocolate tobacco. I was pretty stunned.

I had originally thought to rate these out of 100 – but I find now that I can’t do that. This was very different to anything I’ve had before and I have no context for a numerical rating. Class of its own I guess.

The second shot was the single origin. Capricorn Estate – Australian beans!
    I’m still a little disbelieving that they are Australian beans – never had anything like them before.

Again a ruddy crema over an inky shot that clung to the demitasse. I’d describe the aroma as ‘fire in a cocoa factory’ a very rich slightly smoky nose that was again, very complex.

The taste was something again that I have not experienced before with a complexity I would expect from a blend before a single origin coffee. I didn’t find the same level of spice in this bean as in the blend (not a bad thing - just a difference). Huge mouth feel again – could chew the shot and the finish was smoky but not dry.

Of the too my preference would be for the blend, just because it was so vocal. But this is also the best single origin I have ever had in a café and a must-buy if we can get our hands on some of the beans.

I went on to a latte with the blend.

Practice makes perfect I reckon – this crew are very well practiced and it shows. Great microfoam – exact proportions for the latte and the temperature was perfect. In all the excitement I had been forgetting to take photos and only remembered when I got the Latte – I’ll take photos of the espresso and ristretto shots next week.

Aroma of the latte was sweet and warm like liquid toffee and while tasting I would describe the aroma as toffee toast.

This latte was like meeting an old friend for the first time.

The last coffee of the session was a flat white. All flat whites at Epic come with a rosetta and the pictures of the latte art on the wall seem to indicate a level of attention to the presentation as well as the quality.

Aroma was toffee again (this was also the 5 senses blend) and it was like drinking a toffee éclair – another well balanced full bodied cup.

I won’t go into the debate about Synessos and Crema, I know too little to argue cogently for either point-of-view. The shots and the milk based drinks were excellent and far exceeded anything I have had in a café before – no question about that. I don’t believe even a great barista could have pulled those shots on a crap machine.

I think Epic will become a landmark for coffee lovers in Perth. I have a mission to work my way through menu so I’ll be there a couple of times a week anyway. I’m looking forward to summer because I like nothing better on a hot afternoon than an affogato and Epic’s sounds very inviting.

I’ve been looking for great coffee in Perth for four years and I finally think I’ve found it. I reckon Corey knows what he is doing.

Ill blog this tonight with some photos and post the link.

Comment

Well it has certainly been worth the wait.
      I went up there for a look at lunch time. Corey and his staffs coffee has always done the talking, and with Epic its no exception.

I tried a picolo latte of their custom epic blend, sensational, rich caramel flavours would be my first words to describe it. As soon as i had finished it i was salivating for the next cup.
      Second i tried was a thick rich velvet like ristretto of their Single Origin coffee of the month, the name escapes me but it was Australian.

For the stainless-techno junkies, two 3-group Synessos and 4 Mazzer grinders will keep you happy. The layout of the place is very funky/trendy with chocolate browns and orange, with polished concrete floors, it looks sensational.

Very well done Corey. All i need now is a job in west perth!

Comment

Originally posted by grendel link=1158883755/0#1 date=1158905745
        Yeah ... I ordered an espresso and was asked "are you Luca" straight away. Some people just love to spoil your fun ;P

Cheers,

Luca

Comment

I think everyone kicked goals at Epic today!

Managed to waste my entire morning in there... fantastic. The aussie single origin... yum! Would be a shame to only have that for one month.

Have to go away for the weekend but thought I would get in a quick "well done guys"

Cant wait to see what everyone else thought... so many coffee nerds!

Up the Dockers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Thanks for all the kind words guys, myself and my team really appreciate it. The guys have put in long hours training and I applaud their professionalism. We have the goal of making Epic, WAs destination must see  espresso bar. We look forward to the journey.

Cheers
            Corey

Comment

Corey,

Must come and pay you a visit...

What hours are you open?

Comment

Hey Java, were open 6.30-4.30 monday to thursday and 6.30-4.00 on fridays. Not open on the weekends. Would love to see you drop in mate.

Cheers,
                Corey

Comment

I wish I had have known there were other coffee snobs in there (should have guessed of course).

Ill be in monday morning to try the next item on my list.

Heres a shot of the team at work.

Ok its more a photo of the mazzers (where are my priotities. . .) but there are people there if you look closely!

Comment

OK - Ive blogged it - same stuff I wrote here mostly but lots more photos
                    Epic Adventure

Comment

Hey Java, just wanted to let you know that we might possibly alter our finish time to half an hour earlier depending on demand. So basically we could be closing at 4.00 mon-thu and 3.30 fridays. Just wanted to let you know before you made a special trip and missed us.

Cheers,
                      Corey

Comment

wow, looks great! Cant wait until Im in town this November.

Comment

Looks like Ill be visiting Perth in mid to late October - at least Ill know where to find some good coffee!

Comment

Originally posted by corey link=1158883755/0#10 date=1158961938
                            Hey Java, just wanted to let you know that we might possibly alter our finish time to half an hour earlier depending on demand. So basically we could be closing at 4.00 mon-thu and 3.30 fridays. Just wanted to let you know before you made a special trip and missed us.

Cheers,
                            Corey
                            Hoping to make it Monday AM - probably fairly early....

Looking forward to it with bated taste buds ;D

Comment

Originally posted by grendel link=1158883755/0#1 date=1158905745
                              must have been the clipboard that gave you away herr inspektor grendel

Comment

Working...
                              X