Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stove-top Crema

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Stove-top Crema

    You cant get real crema from a stove top because the water temperature is way too hot (over 100 C).

    But it is possible to give the appearance of crema:

    Pack the filter basket with fine grounds so the brew will have a little trouble coming through.

    When the first, thick, very black drops emerge, take the macchinetta off the stove and empty those precious drops into a cup.

    Mix in enough sugar to produce a very thick, golden  paste.

    Continue brewing.

    Spoon some of that paste onto an espresso-sized cup and fill with the normal brew.

    There. Instant "crema".  [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

  • #2
    Re: Stove-top Crema

    ....ahhhhhh..... dude...... did you forget that you own a Silvia?

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Stove-top Crema

      Originally posted by AndyCJ link=1127205410/0#1 date=1127206618
      ....ahhhhhh.....   dude......  did you forget that you own a Silvia?

      Sometimes I like to lapse into the dark old days. Makes me more appreciative of the Silvia.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Stove-top Crema

        Surely instant crema is sold in a can pressurised with nitrous oxide somewhere?

        I would have thought Sunbeam would have been onto this one!

        Grant

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Stove-top Crema

          I have an Italian friend and that is how she makes "espressos" for her Dad

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Stove-top Crema

            Originally posted by clarexican link=1127205410/0#4 date=1127213227
            I have an Italian friend and that is how she makes "espressos" for her Dad

            Mmmmm....wonder if she also taught me.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Stove-top Crema

              I gotta say, when I stayed in Italy they did love the stovetop! Paolas dad was always knocking out the grinds and making a new pot.

              Most amusing thing is the tiny little "coffee bars" where there are no seats cept a couple outside, and you just nip in and have the espresso standing at the bar! Wonderfull cultural change, and a good chance for many crazed caffeine filled italians to "practice their english".

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Stove-top Crema

                Originally posted by AndyCJ link=1127205410/0#6 date=1127301981
                I gotta say, when I stayed in Italy they did love the stovetop!  Paolas dad was always knocking out the grinds and making a new pot.

                Most amusing thing is the tiny little "coffee bars" where there are no seats cept a couple outside, and you just nip in and have the espresso standing at the bar!  Wonderfull cultural change, and a good chance for many crazed caffeine filled italians to "practice their english".

                Yes, Italians certainly do love their coffee -- and the stove top is the only appliance which approximates true espresso as made by a coffee machine, because it brews under pressure.   The taste is a little burned, but certainly superior to plungers and drips.

                I have quite an array of stove tops, from  one-cup, two-cup, four-cup (each with their own spout) and 6-cup.

                They are what I use away from home and the coffee machine.

                And shops....yes, were it not for shops and the tourists they attract, English would not be the universal language it is.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Stove-top Crema

                  I dig a stovetop for camping which I do regularly. Cant take the Carezza out bush. So Ill definatly be trying your crema idea this weekend and see how it goes.

                  Grampions caffe crema here I come.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Stove-top Crema

                    Having just returned from Italy this week and missing the goss form this website, I can confirm that the stove-top is still very much alive and well there. You can get them in plain-jane aluminium or swish porcelain jobs, or coloured metal, or shiny stainless steel models. The variety is vast. Some domestic machines are available in shops, but I didnt meet anyone who had one - and in a way, why would they! Italy is just plain sensational for coffee - thousands of bars serving superb espressos - even bars in one-horse towns! -  and for a paltry 0.65 euro.

                    However, I still cant understand how their neighbours, the French, can get it so wrong... :-/

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Stove-top Crema

                      joe:

                      Interesting the price difference. Everything else in Italy is bloody expensive. I cant help think that the $35/kg prices charge for coffee shouldnt be close to $15/kg even for the good stuff. When you think beans only cost about $2/kg when they arrive in the country, sometimes less.

                      Grant

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Stove-top Crema

                        My Italian in-laws love their stovetops.
                        Theyve got Bialettis in 1,2,4,6 & 9 cup sizes which they have used for years.
                        Interestingly, I always thought that a stainless one would be better, but the in-laws swear by the aluminium Bialettis and reckon the stainless Vev-Viganos, etc (of which they have a couple) are crap.
                        My mother in-law is considering purchasing something called a Bialetti "Brika" which is a normal 4-cup Bialetti with a Crema-producing device inside!
                        My wife says all her rellos back in Italy only use stovetops at home.
                        I gave them my old Sunbeam aromatic and while they love it, they only use it a couple of times a week, cause they reckon the moka-pot is more convenient.
                        Its a pity my father-in-law Monti doesnt still have his early sixties 2-group lever Gaggia from his Cafe days.

                        (He had a 75 model 2G Faema as well, but that is also gone).

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Stove-top Crema

                          Originally posted by Tim link=1127205410/0#11 date=1128738962
                          Its a pity my father-in-law Monti doesnt still have his early sixties 2-group lever Gaggia from his Cafe days. (He had a 75 model 2G Faema as well, but that is also gone).

                          Thats a real pity, Tim.  Those machines would not only have epitimised the retro LOOK -- they ARE retro, the real thing. Even if they didnt work, and you had the space, theyd make fine displays and talking points.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Stove-top Crema

                            Originally posted by Tim link=1127205410/0#11 date=1128738962
                            My Italian in-laws love their stovetops.
                            Theyve got Bialettis in 1,2,4,6 & 9 cup sizes which they have used for years.
                            Interestingly, I always thought that a stainless one would be better, but the in-laws swear by the aluminium Bialettis and reckon the stainless Vev-Viganos, etc (of which they have a couple) are crap.
                            Tim
                            My rels are the same - all sorts of stove-tops in different sizes, but theyre not interested in stainless steel. I reckon the coffee they produce tastes the same, but maybe Im missing something...



                            Originally posted by wattgn link=1127205410/0#10 date=1128693988

                            Interesting the price difference.  Everything else in Italy is bloody expensive.  
                            Grant
                            Yes and no.
                            Petrol is expensive (€1.30/litre), so is meat and most fish, but curiously, not so most smallgoods. Fruit & vegies are about the same. Away from tourist areas, it seems pretty reasonable. Liquor, on the other hand, is CHEAP!
                            Hows this: last Saturday night in a suburban Rome supermarket I bought:
                            1 bottle Cointreau 700ml
                            1 bottle Martell Cognac 700ml
                            1 bottle Romano Sambuca 700ml
                            1 bottle Grappa 500ml

                            Total: €43 !! (ie. $69)

                            Now, if one could live by espresso and grog alone....  :

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Stove-top Crema

                              Joe wrote:
                              Now, if one could live by espresso and grog alone....  


                              Doesnt everybody?
                              --Robusto, whacked by the twin evils of caffeine and grog

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X