Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pod Snob?

Hi all,

I heard an advert on the radio today from George Gregan touting his new home espresso system. "Best espresso system he has ever seen etc etc". Considering he runs a few cafes I thought it sounded interesting and was lilely to be a decent machine so I jumped on the Mokador website (mokadordirect.com.au) to have a look..... couldnt believe my eyes &*^% pod system! I immediately lost interest, but since I havent tried pod coffee am I jumping to conclusions here? Aside from the obvious concerns regarding freshness and blend options what sort of coffee does a pod system produce? The machine is a twin boiler retaining at $800.

My feeling is that if he thinks a pod system is the best he has ever seen (no mention of best he has ever tasted) Im not going to rush to one of his cafes!!. Ur thoughts?

Cheers,

Matt

Re: Pod Snob?

Who is George Gregan? (does he have a neck?)

alas that would be off-topic so Ill type about pods...

A customer of ours has been selling pod machines for a couple of years, they have a huge collection of different pods to try )mostly Nestle from memory) and while I initialy poo-pooed the idea I have had a few coffees there and they were quite errr... ummm... good really.

Not as good as mine (or yours, or any CSr) but much better than the nasty cafe, takeaway shop or instant from a rusty urn.

Is it espresso? Not really.
    Is there enough coffee in a pod? Not for my taste.
    Is it drinkable? Yep.
    ...and its a "clean" system that suits most office/home spaces.

If you get the chance, try a pod coffee but dont expect to want to swap even a $100 espresso machine for a pod system.

Comment

Ahh yes, pods.....

Its marketing chaps, not coffee. Its a way of tying the client to the coffee supplier, who is the one that is trying to tie you up by offering you either a "free" machine or a "subsidised price" machine to use the pods in conjunction with.

Mostly manufactured to specific shape so you can only use "that" pod with "that" machine, and no one elses.

Most pods that come out from the european market are too small for Oz conditions (6-7 ish grams per portion);

Stale coffee, many times having a high proportion of robusta that gives that very characteristic flavour that you either like or you dont, and, many times having a very odd smell (the pod) from the old coffee oil absorbing into the blotting paper material the pod is made of....

Marketing...not coffee, and if you check the price of some of the "deals"....for example, $75.00 for a carton of pods, containing 150 pods...thats basically $75.00 per kilo, for stale, under dosed coffee with high proprtions of robusta contained.....!

Under these conditions, why support the roasted coffee / pod industry of another country?

And all that, in order to get a subsidised price on a coffee machine. Idruther buy my own coffee machine, pay top dollar for it, get the one I want, and buy fresh coffee from whom I want.

Buy fresh, be parochial, support local.

nuf said!

Regardz,
      FC.

Comment

Agree, FC, Krupps, I think, has a pod machine as well. Why tie yourself to a limited range of coffee from limited suppliers? The costs also make it uneconomic as grinding your own even from supermarket beans is far cheaper. Obviously, the pods could not have been roasted and ground just days ago, either -- another point against such a system.

The only appeal would be to someone too lazy to fill and tamp. And such people are obviously not worthy of the mantle of coffee snob.

Comment

The usual arguments put forward by the purveyors of the pod system, are:

a) accurate portion control and
          b) no mess.

Trouble is, these are secondary features to the real truth which is covered in my post above...and some resulting cuppas made from the pods of various suppliers are simply disgusting to the palate and when youre stuck with them...youre stuck with them.

But by golly, you have accurate portion control and a clean coffee "station". ;D

Regardz,
          FC.

Comment

But isnt it a dual purpose machine? You can use coffee pods, or buy round Tetley tea bags and have a tea machine.

You see them advertising the Senseo a lot on morning tv programs like GMA or Kerri-Anne. They give you a "variety," three different roasts, medium, dark, and for you (insert name here), extra dark. The Senseo doesnt have a milk frother btw.

Its definitely targeting those who dont know much about coffee, and think, "wow! I can make commercial grade coffee at home, at the touch of a button. Youre probably better off buying a super auto, because in the long run, youll save money on beans alone.

Comment

I think youll find that these machines are really marketed in the way that mobile phones and ink-jet printers often are.  Its  about locking you into a regular purchase - the hardware is often subsidised to get you in.  They make their money from people getting pods or cartridges or top-ups (or whatever) on a weekly or monthly basis.  If they gave these things away for free, like phones, theyd make their profit from the consumables.

Speaking of which, Officeworks  sells 1 kg (resealable) tins of Nescafe for $39.98.  Makes even the most expensive green beans seem ridiculously cheap.  And yes - we coffee snobs are paying less for coffee than the average mugachino sculler.

http://officeworks.com.au/SHOP/CATALOG/SKU.ASP?ID=NE430&LEVEL=SK&PR=*&SID=AP54CWEM43K58GH QV2TB46DGD29GCSTA

Comment

Ah well, its good to see my snobbery is somewhat justified. The whole marketing bit makes sense as Mr Gregan seems to be tied up very nicely with Mokador through his cafes and they are selling pod machines on TV. So he appears to be in it for the $$$$ and not to enlighten the masses about the best way to have coffee   >  Bit like Ugly Dave Grey and nasal sprays eh?    

Really, for $300 more than the pod system you can buy a Silvia and a bloody good grinder. Not as convenient tho, but much more enjoyable.

Comment

Originally posted by el espressio link=1127816102/0#6 date=1127869577
                  I think youll find that these machines are really marketed in the way that mobile phones and ink-jet printers often are.  Its  about locking you into a regular purchase - the hardware is often subsidised to get you in

Dont get me started on printer ink cartridges, El Espressio.  How can any company -- I wont mention Brother -- justify $18 for a few millilitres of ink.... On a printer which spends its time self-cleaning (read: wasting ink) with same expensive ink.  Generic ink costs a fraction of the price as branded one, but it absolutely destroys your printer head. Er, thats what the printer makers anxious to protect their ink markets tell us. But guess what?  The print heads dont last anyway!

Comment

Gday all,
                    I just checked this website out, its gold. ;D
                    Along with The Gregan, you can also buy a battery powered, yes battery powered, chocolate shaker. Never again will you have to waste your wrist power shaking chocolate all over your beverage.  
                    The site says that it will impress your friends and that you can use it to put pretty patterns, such as a smiley face, a flower or a heart on top of your Late.  :-?
                    If you really, really want to impress your friends, you can email the battery powered chocolate shaker factory and request a specially designed pattern for your shaker.  I wonder if they would do a CS design?
                    All the best,
                    Steve.

Comment

Originally posted by Fresh_Coffee link=1127816102/0#2 date=1127860693
                      Mostly manufactured to specific shape so you can only use "that" pod with "that" machine, and no one elses.
                      Yeah! That would be like espresso machines having different size portafilters and baskets and...

Sorry, couldnt resist. Reminds me of someone flogging department store sunbeam machines as good gear.

Cheers

Comment

I still think its an overpriced tea machine.

Comment

Originally posted by 7E4A5D4B50677B575E5E5D5D380 link=1127816102/2#2 date=1127860693

Most pods that come out from the european market are too small for Oz conditions (6-7 ish grams per portion);

Stale coffee, many times having a high proportion of robusta that gives that very characteristic flavour that you either like or you dont, and, many times having a very odd smell (the pod) from the old coffee oil absorbing into the blotting paper material the pod is made of....

Marketing...not coffee, and if you check the price of some of the "deals"....for example, $75.00 for a carton of pods, containing 150 pods...thats basically $75.00 per kilo, for stale, under dosed coffee with high proprtions of robusta contained.....!
                          Ok I know that there are some criticisms of the pod system, but if you are going to be a coffee snob, at least get your facts straight first....

Firstly "Oz Conditions" are the exception to the rule. We are in a "Milk Market" which is more or less a wanna-be coffee culture. If I went to a good coffee house in europe and asked for some of the drinks we serve here, I would be laughed out the door.... Much to the surprise of some aussies, espresso was never meant to be consumed by the litre.

Secondly, the coffee from Nespresso can potentially go stale (like any system), but its hermetically sealed so unless there is some defect in the particular pod, you will be fine for at least six months (though they claim 12 months, 6 months to be safe).

Robusta - some of the blends have robusta, some dont. Its up to the individual to decide which one suits. So thats just about personal taste. The pursuit of pure arabica is not going to cover all tastes.

If you really doubt what I am telling you, I can only suggest a blind taste test against an average metropolitan coffee shop (since thats what the system is designed to beat). Considering the average skill of coffee shop staff, you might agree that theres room for competition

I honestly think the Nespresso system is good for the interests of coffee generally, as it more or less sets a benchmark for amateurs and makes decent espresso available.

Comment

Originally posted by 445C4D44485B5D290 link=1127816102/12#12 date=1260788680
                            I honestly think the Nespresso system is good for the interests of coffee generally, as it more or less sets a benchmark for amateurs and makes decent espresso available.
                            Ahh...a thread from the archives...

;D...or more correctly, good for the interests of Nestle in general...

Yes mudmart...perhaps its some sort of 10% better than instant, but I regret to inform that you are preaching to the converted here and Id rather give up coffee for good than drink their swill....

Offer any Nescafe product- whether they put it in jar or pod to a line of CSers and the sucker who has to drink it will be the one who was daydreaming. The rest of the line would take one rapid step to the rear  

Sorry, but I have one useful suggestion as to where pods are best placed and btw, how long have you been working for Nestle?  :-?

2mcm

Comment

Originally posted by 4A52434A465553270 link=1127816102/12#12 date=1260788680
                              Just like daytime soap operas can fill the void for those who dont want to go to the theatre, or Spam in the can as a substitute for Ham. 2mcm, Im with you!

Comment

Working...
                              X