Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is a "proper" macchiato?

There is an article in the Age http://tinyurl.com/l3vkt
     which started a discussion in a newsgroup Im in.  This is what a person wrote:

I drink Macchiato which Starbucks <bluh> and others in their ignorance define as: Espresso Macchiato as "1 shot of espresso in a demitasse [topped with] a small dollop of foamed milk. About.com Macchiato Definition:  A shot of espresso with just a dab of steamed or foamed milk on top.

Wrong! Wrong!

I have given up on being made a proper macchiato so now I order a long or short black with a tiny bit of COLD milk on the side and I make it into a macchiato myself.

True macchiato: Expresso with about one or two teaspoons of COLD milk which are gently poured down at the side of the glass and the milk will seen to sink to the bottom of the glass.

No definitely no GODDAMN hot milk thank you or even that DAMN obligatory fey bit of milk froth on top!

It may seem fussy but any hot milk or its froth does alter the flavour of the coffee considerably.

So, I wondered if hes right?  I do remember my father drinking his coffee in exactly the same way he does (he just called it coffee  ;D) and I also remember reading his description somewhere, but cant remember where, or what it was called.

I just looked in John Doyles book, he says: a dollop of foam and/or a dash of hot or cold milk.  No mention of pouring it down the side of the glass.  

Re: What is a "proper" macchiato?

Judy

From memory the generally accepted macchiato is one 30ml shot of espresso marked with some milk/foam.

Dan

Comment

People do have differing opinions about what is the correct definition for some drinks.
      I think Chris (2muchcoffeeman) mentioned once that there are actually approved standards for certain drinks, so perhaps there is one for macchiato.

I do find it amusing that the person making the post you referred to is SO passionate about the definition, yet there is no mention of how they KNOW their definition is correct and everyone else is wrong.

For the record, I was given a coffee cheat sheet from Mocopan when I bought my setup. It is a glossy brouchure with descriptions of 10 types of coffee.

It has macchiato as:
      Shot of espresso with a dash of hot or cold milk and dressed with a dollop of foam.

Pretty much the same as Johns book.

Comment

Definitions only work when they are observed by everyone in the industry. If they are not --and they are not-- they are pointless.

Best to describe exactly what you want: an espresso with a dollop of cream, or a dash of cold milk or poured down the glass or whatever. Then there shouldnt be any problem.

Macchiato means, literally, stained. So the black substance is stained with a little cold milk. If you have a preference of just how much milk -- tell the barista.

That way we get what we desire without it being lost in translation, definition, training or whatever.

Robusto

Comment

Definitions may differ, but everywhere I went in Italy for coffee and ordered macchiato, I was always asked if I wanted hot or cold milk - so it seems the European understanding allows for hot or cold

Comment

See my comments post number 6 in Topic. Commercial Machine Fun - Help me improve

Comment

Originally posted by Judy link=1141787120/0#0 date=1141787120
              There is an article in the Age http://tinyurl.com/l3vkt
               which started a discussion in a newsgroup Im in.  This is what a person wrote:

I drink Macchiato which Starbucks <bluh> and others in their ignorance define as: Espresso Macchiato as "1 shot of espresso in a demitasse [topped with] a small dollop of foamed milk. About.com Macchiato Definition:  A shot of espresso with just a dab of steamed or foamed milk on top.

Wrong! Wrong!

I have given up on being made a proper macchiato so now I order a long or short black with a tiny bit of COLD milk on the side and I make it into a macchiato myself.

True macchiato: Expresso with about one or two teaspoons of COLD milk which are gently poured down at the side of the glass and the milk will seen to sink to the bottom of the glass.

No definitely no GODDAMN hot milk thank you or even that DAMN obligatory fey bit of milk froth on top!

It may seem fussy but any hot milk or its froth does alter the flavour of the coffee considerably.

So, I wondered if hes right?  
              What would he know? He spells espresso with an x.

Comment

Sorry if this link makes any one cringe,

http://www.instructables.com/id/How_to_make_a_Macchiato/

Take a look at the above link, then ask are standards needed.

I would like to see consistancy as much as the next coffee snob.It would be a perfect world if we were all the same, but however, variety and originality should never be stiffled.

But IMHO what is demonstrated in the above link is an Iced coffee.

CB

Comment

wikipedia has a good article. Firstly, what were talking about here? An espresso macchiato or a latte macchiato? As said mefore, macchiato just means stained, so it can be anything stained with anything.
                  It also states that the tiny amount of froth is just for the server to tell it apart from an espresso.
                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caff%C3%A8_macchiato

Comment

A "proper" macchiato is one that never comes to the table without its shirt or shoes. It also never swears without extreme provocation!

Greg
                    And thats about as accurate as most definitions Ive read. :-*

Comment

Whenever anyone asks me what a macchiato is I always say it is a highly debated topic...and here is more evidence!

I would never say that I know the "right" way, but when I make a short macchiato it is with an espresso, a touch of steamed milk and a touch of froth. I do a long macchiato in a (roughly) 6oz cup, half full with water, doppio espresso, and steamed milk with froth. Weve been getting into pouring the milk for long machs, with a bit of quick art on top. This gives you milk in the drink and froth "marking" the top. However, Mr Gimlet, I do like what you said about Italian cafes asking if you want hot or cold milk. I think that would be good service.

Like I said, I dont claim my way is THE way, just puttin it out there.

Comment

You can always pour an espresso, serve with some texturised milk in a separate small jug, and let the customer work it out!

Comment

Not that i sell a lot of Machs where i am but whenever someone orders one i just ask them " how do you normally have it?" and usually get a varied reply from either stained with foam or sometimes cream or just cold milk. They normally appreciate the interest you take in asking as well.

Comment

A Macchiato has an espresso base
                            It is then finished with a small stain of milk and a dollop of foam
                            It is normally served in an espresso glass or cup

When I dont feel like a straight espresso I will normally have a Macchiato in its place

I make a cappuccino for the wife and use the last of the milk and foam for my Macchiato

KK

Comment

Apart from my espresso, when I am in the mood, I love a good Macchiato.

In my humble opinion, I would therefore like to vote for an attempt to keep a standard on them as much as possible. That is not to say I do not mind a bit of creativity, in its right place; however.

I have had many discussions on CS about what defines an Espresso. Each of those defining characteristics (e.g. 30ml poured in 25-30 sec) means that it will taste just so. This means that if every cafe in the land ground their beans just so their pour lasted between 25-30sec, there is a very good chance I would get a close to ideal Espresso everywhere.

Why would I not like just the same for my Macchiato?

The problem is that even John Doyle is ambiguous.

To quote:

Macchiato (Short), or Caffé Macchiato served in a glass (70-90ml). An espresso stained with a dollop of foam and/or dash of hot or cold milk; a 5mm thick crema.

First he cannot decide on a name giving it two. I would argue that there is no need for the latter -Caffe Macchiato - because in that form it is more of an adjective than a name. Furthermore, if I was in a café ordering a “Macchiato”, surely it is understood I am ordering a coffee. I dont say Café Espresso for example.

His definition is also ambiguous. Doyle allows a Macchiato to be two different drinks, one with one serve of milk or one with two serves of milk.

According to John, a Macchiato can be an Espresso topped with a dollop AND/ a dash of hot or cold milk ............OR it can be an espresso with a dash of hot or cold milk.

So which one is it?

What IS a proper Macchiato? or what is the standard for a Macchiato?

Is it a milk drink or is it a coffee drink?

There is my 2c worth.

Comment

Working...
                              X