Re: Kopi Luwak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Kopi Luwak

Havent tried it, but the origin of food never ceases to amaze. Take the coffee bean itself -- If I pick this unpalatable red berry, remove the pulp, let it dry, then roast till its a dark brown -- but not too light or dark -- I bet I can create a drink which will set the world ablazewith a cultural phenomenon.

Ditto for malt, hops and beer, wheat and pasta and the list goes on.

The Kopi Luwak may be an exotic beverage, but am I game to remove natural inhibitions and try it? Well, am I? ......

Robusto

Nope, I have no intention of drinking anything that comes from the bum of a small furry animal. I place it in the same category as haggis. Im not that concerned if I leave this world never having tried it .

The selling point is that the Luwak supposedly only picks the best beans for eating and the stomach does something to the beans. Doesnt really impress me. What would impress me is if they train the little buggers to place the beans in a basket strapped to their backs. Id like to see that! ;D

Comment

Hello, has anyone ever actually tried Kopi Luwak?
      Here ya go! http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1118739575/0#0

Java "Whos gonna try it next?" phile
      Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Sorry to wade into this one a little late, yes I have tried it, no I didnt like it.

Much more of a coffee experiance than a enjoyable

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Valerian link=1142657156/0#0 date=1142657156
          Hello, has anyone ever actually tried Kopi Luwak?
          From my understanding the Luwak or Luak (I have seen it spelt both ways) is a small mammal in Sumatra that eats coffee beans off the plant,   cannot digest them and so passes them through and out.  I dont get it!  I find it hard to imagine someone thinking to themselves - Hey, theres some Luwak poo and it has coffee beans in it. Now if I fish the beans out, wash them, roast them, then grind them up and make a cup of coffee I bet it will taste pretty good".
          Sir Valerian.
          I wonder who the first person was that thought, Ill eat the thing that just came out the back door of that chook ;D

Comment

Yes - I had it in a tiny roaster/coffee maker in Hong Kong where it was delicious, rich, cruchy and you could taste it for a good hour after drinking

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by 614C417C74464A50230 link=1142657156/6#6 date=1245667506
              where it was delicious, rich, cruchy
              No surprises there! ;D

Comment

Originally posted by 1E3F343433295A0 link=1142657156/7#7 date=1245674531
                Originally posted by 614C417C74464A50230 link=1142657156/6#6 date=1245667506
                where it was delicious, rich, cruchy
                No surprises there!  ;D
                Yep- I cupped it with Austin Powers...he thought it was nutty : ;D

Comment

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D "It IS shit Austin"

;D ;D ;D ;D

Comment

I tried it and it has very distinctive flavour and smell. I was born and raised in Lampung (Down south of Sumatra Island) and coffee luwak is very common there.

Comment

Interesting - I thought the reason why it was so expensive was because droppings from wild civet cats were few and rare. Rumour has it some places are now farming civet cats... which may explain why its more common.

I had the opportunity to try Kopi Luwak at last years CafeBiz. Espresso shot from a Giotto, quite smooth and flavour lingering. But seriously could not distinguish nor justify why I would pay so much more for the flavour. Besides my palate is not that well refined!

Cheers - Andrew

Comment

Originally posted by 1B18501B18280 link=1142657156/11#11 date=1246528274
                        Interesting - I thought the reason why it was so expensive was because droppings from wild civet cats were few and rare.
                        ...these days the civets are on a much healthier hi-fibre diet and so theres kopi poopoo for all ;D

Comment

I tried Kopi Luwak in Hong Kong and it was delicious. Great body, aromatic (not pooey), and a long after taste. I went back for another the next day!

Comment

I agree, i tried a cup of it in one of the Merlo roasting houses in Brisbane. Nice but not worth the price.

Comment

I get asked every now and then to get a hold of some, and one of my brokers does carry it. However, I cant see that the taste is outstanding in any way after perusing some reviews and so why would I pay that price?
                              The price is probably justified though, as the fermentation process in this case is a little slower when attempting to fill large orders.

Comment

Working...
                              X