X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favourite cafe?

Yes, it is good to get out sometimes!
    Anyone have any dead-set favourites?
    Although I live in the Blue Mountains, two hours from Sydney, I do have one cafe I return to every time I get a chance.
    Only problem is its in Melbourne!
    Im talking about the great Pellegrinis at the top-end of Bourke Street, opposite the now sadly defunct Gaslight ... this must surely be THE Italian cafe of Australia. Its more than the coffee .. the entire ambience is sensational. Pure unchanged 1950s.
    In Sydney my favourite drop-in spot is Fratelli Paradiso in Challis Ave, Darlinghurst. Its back to its original top standard now that the chefs back out of gaol..... his time behind bars showed just why you shouldnt mix caffeine with cocaine!

Re: Favourite cafe?

Originally posted by Anthony link=1145585373/0#0 date=1145585373
    Yes, it is good to get out sometimes!
    Anyone have any dead-set favourites? <snip>
    Im talking about the great Pellegrinis at the top-end of Bourke Street, opposite the now sadly defunct  Gaslight ... this must surely be THE Italian cafe of Australia. Its more than the coffee .. the entire ambience is sensational. Pure unchanged 1950s.<snip>
    Hmm Pellegrinis....famous in Melbourne for pretty much close to the worst coffee available in Town..... ;D

Comment

Originally posted by 2muchcoffeeman link=1145585373/0#1 date=1145586378
      Hmm Pellegrinis....famous in Melbourne for pretty much close to the worst coffee available in Town..... ;D
      ... yeah, its like there was a bushfire in your mouth and noone told you! Plus the flies over the cakes were kinda worrying ... but, yeah, definitely a cultural institution. First espresso machine in Melbourne, right?

Personally, I like the "Synesso Brothers" - St Ali and Maling Room. Places that walk the talk. Batch is also up there. Wall is probably the other big reputation place and Ive got to say that I love it. Funky atmosphere and decent coffee. Wish there were somewhere good in the CBD, though ...

Cheers,

Luca

Comment

I like Zmegs at 27 Russell Street Melbourne - just make sure Michael is making the coffee (and that he is in a good mood)

Comment

I wouldnt go to Pelligrinis for the coffee so much as the history - its and mine! I can remember when it was just about the only place in town outside of Genevieves in Carlton where you could get a plate of spag bol and a coffee for less than ten shillings ... now, thats going back ......

Comment

When my wife and I got married, we were forced to do a big exit from oiur lunchtime wedding at about 330pm, so we decamped to the City. Since we were staying at the Windsor, we had a wander around and were watching other people having wedding photos. There was a little circuit every 10-15 minutes from the Parliament steps, and everyone stopped for a picture at Pellegrinis (in full wedding gear). Apparently it happens almost all Saturday afternoon.

Comment

If anyone ever ventures up the New England Highway and goes through Tamworth, I would recommend a stop at the Inland Cafe. Its in the main street of the town (Peel Street).

When we are visiting or passing through to Armidale we generally find ourselves having breakfast/lunch/afternoon tea there! IMO they serve the best coffee in Tamworth, though if anyone else knows of anywhere that is better, let me know too!

A word of warning about Tamworth...

Dont be fooled as you pass through by the resturant called "Vespas". It is an okay feed but is so not geared towards sophisticated city tastes!! I think it is a kind of mass market Italian food! Dont get me wrong, its not a bad place just not as good as it could be.

The best dining experiences I have had in Tamworth, apart from the Inland Cafe, is another place called Eatalianos. Which is a more authentic Italian style resturant, even down to the old formica tables and 60s style chairs!

Comment

Fine to have a pic taken there.....just dont drink the coffee ;D

Comment

"My Cafe" in the A.C.T. is probably the most popular, but I tend to get my coffee at work on the run if Im not drinking at home, so Im not particurally loyal to any one spot. Bit of an A.C.T. coffee slut if you will, although I do see the old fella Lyle a often enough to know his name at one of those foyer type cafes in CIVIC A.C.T. My loyalty to him is mainly price driven though.....

My Cafes coffee is generally O.K. Probably due to its high turnover (see and be seen locality for the A.C.T) they probably manage not to hold a stock of older beans to much, so half the battle is won. I really should pay attention to what coffee they serve there though...I cannot remember at the moment.

I used to like in Melbourne going for coffee at Pattersons cakes (Chapel Street WINDSOR), but that was probably more to do with the cakes than the coffee now I think about it...

Comment

The best espresso coffee in Perth was at Supreme Coffee Machines.
                    I did not find my favorite cafe serving outstanding espresso yet.

Comment

Try Core Espresso in Allendale Arcade- St Georges Terrace....wall to wall LaMarzocco and absolutely retentive about their product...

I cant recommend Coreys place too highly

Comment

Originally posted by 2muchcoffeeman link=1145585373/0#10 date=1145933365
                        Try Core Espresso in Allendale Arcade- St Georges Terrace....wall to wall LaMarzocco and absolutely retentive about their product...

I cant recommend Coreys place too highly
                        Ill second that. I was lucky enough to work with the team for a week in January and it was coffeesnob heaven! What is truly remarkable is that every single member of Coreys team is a great barista. There are NO weak links. Vanessa and Ben came third and fourth in the opens of the Australian Barista Competition.

Core is basically a bench built across a corner in the arcade. There is just barely enough room for four baristi and a cashier. They have two La Marzocco Lineas and two Swift grinders, which must mean that its the most expensive cafe in Australia per square metre!

Heres a photo of Core ... much less busy than usual because it was closed; we were just doing some training:

Comment

Mmmmm...Im in Perth Tuesday week. You can bet Ill be visiting Core.

Anyone got a tip or 2 for somewhere in Sydney? Im there tomorrow & Tuesday.
                          What about Briz Vegas? Thats Wednesday this week.
                          And Adelaide? Next Monday.

Coffee just might be the only thing thatll make this fortnight bearable

Im really gonna miss my Giotto .

Jeff.

Comment

Hey Jeff- Core is a must and also Corey mentioned Lemon Espresso (in Claremont I think....tho I didnt get there  :-/). In Sydney, its well worth having a look at Single origin, Tobys Estate, Forsyths, Campos, Luxe and Mecca. Have a look through http://www.coffeegeek.com/forums/wor...ralasia/227124 for some feedback on these places....

Brisvegas has Naked Coffee and I hear great reports about Cibo....As for Adelaide....its been quite a while.....anyone else want to chime in?

Glad that it seems youre enjoying the Giotto!  8-)

Chris

Comment

Thanks for the tips Chris, Ill try to fit as many as I can into my schedule for this trip and save the rest for next time.

Ive visited Tobys a few times.
                              Product and service were impressive I must say.

And yes, I am enjoying the Giotto, thanks

Jeff

Comment

Working...
                              X