Good drinking chocolate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good drinking chocolate?

Im looking for some nice drinking chocolate to make either hot chocolates or mochas (more likely mochas). Does anyone have any recommendations? Also would this be sustitutable for the chocolate you put on caps, or do i need to buy special chocolate for that?

Cheers.

LG

Re: Good drinking chocolate?

We use Belaromas drinking chocolate at work and also at home. Its good for drinking and sprinkling on the top of coffee.

The other week at ICTF I tried a new product which is apparently a powder but it looked like melted chocolate with some milk thrown in! It was nice but I didnt like the way it formed a skin on the surface so quickly. Youd have to keep stirring it when drinking.

But you probably want something more like the Belaroma product. They are the only ones I know of. I dont know if any of the site sponsers here also do drinking chocolate.

Comment

Perugina Cacao makes a great hot chocolate and mocha IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by joe link=1154853773/0#2 date=1154863797
        Perugina Cacao makes a great hot chocolate and mocha IMHO.
        where would i buy that from joe?

Might try belaroma too, thanks scoota gal!

Comment

You might find it at some delis. I get it from Mediterranean Wholesalers in Sydney rd. Brunswick (Vic) who, I think, import it.

Comment

Im pretty sure CS member Mr Nang can get you some excellent drinking chocolate.

Somage

Comment

Originally posted by Framey link=1154853773/0#5 date=1154867489
              Im pretty sure CS member Mr Nang can get you some excellent drinking chocolate.

Somage
              and he might also be able to get you a pretty good chocolate garnish too

Comment

Originally posted by scoota gal link=1154853773/0#1 date=1154861719
                The other week at ICTF I tried a new product which is apparently a powder but it looked like melted chocolate with some milk thrown in! It was nice but I didnt like the way it formed a skin on the surface so quickly. Youd have to keep stirring it when drinking.
                Yeah, that stuff was gross. The texture was nice, but the flavour of the corn starch was overpowering. There are a few versions around with potato starch instead, which is a slightly less prominent flavour, but they only start to thicken after the milk has been heated to 90C.

The absolute best way of making hot choc has to be to just melt down good quality chocolate. That way, you control the amount of sugar going in and the quality of the chocolate. If you get fine choc nibs, or just grate the chocolate with a cheese grater, you might even be able to just put it in the bottom of a jug of milk and froth it up.

All of the powders are too sweet for my tastes - but I guess that they have to be made that way or people complain ... my answer would be to let people add the amount of sugar that they want, but whatever. I guess you could make your own choc powder by mixing cocoa powder and icing sugar in a ratio that you like. You can then even take it a step further and mix the powder with boiling water to make your own syrup, then keep that in a squeeze bottle in the fridge.

Cheers,

Luca

Comment

Hi LG,

Another one that might be worth trying is Nestle "Alpen Blend". Its not too sweet and seems to be powdered darkish chocolate rather than the usual "talc-like" products you sometimes get :P,

Mal.

Comment

For good rich hot choc I find cocoa is the best, spoon for spoon with sugar otherwise its pretty bitter. Sometimes Ill do it half cocoa/sugar and half normal Cadbury drinking chocolate for a less intense flavour. But I guarantee once youve tasted hot chocolate with proper Bourneville (aka Cadbury) Cocoa, you wont go back to plain drinking chocolate (unless of course its similarly good quality). Only thing with the cocoa is that you need to stir it every now and again otherwise it settles out. Buy some from the supermarket and give it a try!

Comment

Originally posted by gregpullman link=1154853773/0#9 date=1154901016
                      For good rich hot choc I find cocoa is the best, spoon for spoon with sugar otherwise its pretty bitter. Sometimes Ill do it half cocoa/sugar and half normal Cadbury drinking chocolate for a less intense flavour. But I guarantee once youve tasted hot chocolate with proper Bourneville (aka Cadbury) Cocoa, you wont go back to plain drinking chocolate (unless of course its similarly good quality). Only thing with the cocoa is that you need to stir it every now and again otherwise it settles out. Buy some from the supermarket and give it a try!
                      ================================================== =====================
                      Cadbury Bournville Cocoa, has Cocoa and Flavours?/ Drinking Chocolates are full of milk powder and sugar..
                      Try Van Houtens Dutch Cocoa or some of the German ones like Droste,
                      The Dutch Cocoas were Processed differently and were/are generally regarded by Europeans as superior..
                      And then you get into Single Origin Cocoas, which is a subject that is best left to the Chocolate Forums guys..
                      Tepin
                      try this link
                      http://www.icco.org/index.htm

Comment

Vittoria "Choccochino" is a nice chocolate powered.... you can get it in white chocolate (Its been requested that I make a White Choc Mocha in my household for visitors, wife) as well... and dark chocolate... Ive been told its a winner :-)

Comment

FYI, the well known brand of chocolate in Australia, Haighs, sells a "premium" drinking chocolate which is simply cocoa and sugar (half/half).

I believe they must sift/blend/press or something along those lines because the texture is like very small shards -- a bit like Milo/instant coffee but not quite as "freeze dried" looking.

Personally I find the non-milk powdered drinking chocolates are a better fit for mochas and anything else that has a decent amount of milk content already, whereas if you just plan to add boiling water, some milk powder fits better, as its too watery otherwise.

cheers
                          Lachlan

Comment

try the woolies/safeway cocoa.
                            Its 100% unsweetened cocoa, is from germany and will not cost you a packet.

As above - Recipe: cocoa, warm milk and sugar to your taste.

Comment

IMHO cocoa plus sweetener to taste is best. The pre-mixed ones are just too
                              sweet for my taste, but in that category Alpen (as mentioned above) and
                              Ghiradelli are quite good. My wife uses them; I just mix about three big tsp
                              cocoa with about one of sweetener and dissolve in minimal hot water, then
                              lots of nicely microfoamed milk (at which my wife has become expert, I have
                              some distance to go to catch up).

Our current cocoa is Bensdorp but as mentioned most of the European ones
                              are pretty good. Haighs used to sell the (very nice) cocoa that they import but
                              dont anymore (but of course its in their drinking choc mix).

Comment

Working...
                              X