But its Moccona!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• But its Moccona!

Yesterday I managed to insult my father-in-law. I was not trying to, but I didn’t drink the coffee he made for me. First of all it was too hot – he is a firm believer that coffee should be served at nothing less than a scalding temperature.

Worst of all though was that it was instant coffee (but its moccona he says - somehow this makes it all ok).

Now my in-laws are people who know quality stuff – after all they gave me my Faema Family. But making coffee just seems too much effort, even in a plunger so they have reverted to using moccona.

I Just Can’t Drink It!

I Won’t.

Not on a train, not on a plane not with sucrose, not up my nose, I do not like it, Kim the gruff, I do not like that awful stuff!

Does anyone have any polite refusal strategies that they have successfully used to decline a coffee type beverage that you know you just cant drink?

Re: But its Moccona!

Originally posted by grendel link=1159149456/0#0 date=1159149456
    Does anyone have any polite refusal strategies that they have successfully used to decline a coffee type beverage that you know you just cant drink?
    "Im sorry, but Ive had enough caffeine for the day."

"Im sorry, but Im feeling a bit dehydrated. Do you have some water or juice?"

Or go prepared. Bring some beans (and if needed the brewing equipment) and offer to make coffee for everyone. After doing that once or twice people will be demanding you bring your beans for the next visit.

Java "Be prepared!" phile
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

I just make it clear to anyone who offers me a coffee I always so no thanks... unless I know how its brewed.

Im blessed my in laws perculate (Stovetop) there coffee... and they are testing some beans I roast for them... :-) (It helps that they are Italian though)

Having said that, Java makes some good suggestions...

Comment

Ive always found that
        "No thanks"
        does the trick.

I always give people the option of tea/coffee/cold drink. I dont want people to feel they have to accept a coffee, and likewise, I dont ever feel compelled to accept one from others.

Dont invent reasons why you are saying no or people will offer solutions.
        IE: "Ive had enough caffeinne for the day"
        "Its OK - weve got decaf instant crap too!"

If you decline and people insist on pushing for a why, then it is they who are being impolite.

It is interesting though, Ive had the reverse happen to me. Ive offerred drinks to a group of friends. Included in the group was one guy who had not been to our place. He politely declined tea or coffee and accepted a cold drink.

When I brought the other coffees out (the other 4 people said yes), he exclaimed "Oh.. its real coffee... can I change my order please?"

Comment

My wife still has some Moccona in the pantry (Ive had the Expobar for about 8 weeks now).

I think Javas suggestions are sensible.

When people are over they usually sit around the dining table which is direct line of sight to the Expobar so even a newcomer to my place shouldnt miss all the chrome when Im offering to make coffee.

I do however ask what people would like; coffee, tea, water, soft drink?

If father-in-law didnt give you the choice before making the coffee for you it was insensitive of him.
          Good intentions obviously but youll have to gently train him.

Comment

I try to be as polite as possible when refusing a coffee and will start off with a simple No thank you. Some people unfortunately are not satisfied with that and require a reason. They then get a I just dont feel like it. Then there are those who push it beyond that.

If pushed to that point by these impolite souls Ill then give them the full reason and let them deal with the consequences of their pushiness/impoliteness by being told the truth.

To a large extent this is the same process I use in many of my dealings with people. Be polite and dont tell an inconvienent truth unless pushed to it. But if you push me for it you will be given it.

Java "Social skills? We dont need no stinkin social skills! Weve got coffee!" phile
            Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Thundergod link=1159149456/0#4 date=1159160213
              When people are over they usually sit around the dining table which is direct line of sight to the Expobar so even a newcomer to my place shouldnt miss all the chrome when Im offering to make coffee.
              Same here. You cant miss the Silvia sitting in the middle of the kitchen bench, all that shiny stainless steel kinda hits you in the face when you walk into the kitchen! Seeing as I have the local rep as being the one and only professional barista in town, no ones not going to knock back a nice cup of coffee or whatever hot drink I may offer them! Rarely do I get that!

And same thing when visiting, most people dont even bother offering coffee to me, unless they know they can do better! Some have even admitted that theyre embarrassed to only have instant on offer. Ive admitted to being embarrassed because I wouldnt even consume the stuff!

Generally, I just ask for a cold drink anyway as by the time Ive got round to visit someone, I have had my coffee for the day.

Comment

My favourite "coffee" is the one my eighty-nine year old aunt makes for me when I lunch with her each week. She chose the brand of "instant" specifically with me in mind because she wanted it to be special. She serves it in the cup that she chose just for me. I find it hard to call it coffee, but sometimes its the thought that counts.

Best wishes, Russell

Comment

Speaking of "coffee".
                  The first coffee my daughter made me (at a very young age) was a bit of a shock to the system.

It was instant and I liked it strong but this was something else.

When asked how many spoons of coffee she put in the cup, the answer came back "3 heaped, why? ".
                  It seems that she figured shed put in the same numbers of spoons of coffee as the Milo that she put in her milk.
                  ;D

Comment

A former colleague of mine from Arizona was a coffee snob, but also a coffee adict and when he couldnt get anything else he would drink instant. I made it for him once at his request - six spoons, heaped.

Thats gotta be above the recommended daily allowance of something!

Comment

Sad isnt it?
                      Im the same- I generally will ask for tea rather than coffee, and that includes in many coffee bars and restaurants.
                      And youd be right in saying I might be missing a pleasant surprise- well I take the risk now and again.
                      Ive been thinking part of the fascination we have with coffee is the old style alchemy of it. Its like guiatr playing- you can buy all the gear a favourite player has only to realise its in his or her hands.
                      Coffees the same- doesnt matter how great the gear is, or even if someone is following the rules (although this helps greatly) theres still that unknown factor.
                      Having said that theres serendipity- playing at a snob party I was offered a coffee from the owner who said, Weve just got this new machine! Well it was a commercial, so warily I took a chance and said, A macchiato please, to be answered with, Whats that?
                      Unexpectedly it was fantastic!
                      You never know,
                      Brett

Comment

Originally posted by russellm link=1159149456/0#7 date=1159267728
                        My favourite "coffee" is the one my eighty-nine year old aunt makes for me when I lunch with her each week. She chose the brand of "instant" specifically with me in mind because she wanted it to be special. She serves it in the cup that she chose just for me. I find it hard to call it coffee, but sometimes its the thought that counts.

Best wishes, Russell
                        It is hard when people think they are doing something special for you. You often end up with just the 2 choices, hurt their feelings or hurt your own taste buds.
                        My in-laws are very welcoming and generous people. A few years ago, they offerred plunger coffee after meals. It was quite acceptable for me. I drink it with milk and sugar and found it to be quite OK.
                        Then, they got into the habit of buying various flavoured beans. The first night they served the coffee beaming. I took a mouthfull and nearly threw up. Absolutely horrible. French Vanilla I think. That was the beginning of the end of coffee at their place.
                        Next on their list, a coffee machine. Just went out and bought a plastic semi-auto.
                        Proudly made me a coffee on that - once.
                        Ive tried supplying beans, but they only seemed to get used when I was there.
                        After they were 2 months old (and Im telling them to throw them out), I started to decline when offered coffee.
                        I really think they were going through all of this just for my benefit, but I could not politely drink the stuff.
                        Part of the problem I think was that the coffee purchases were being driven by an impulsive, non coffee drinker in the family.
                        Anyway, I just say no now.

Maybe that is what Nancy Reagan was on about
                        JUST SAY NO - to substandard coffee!

Comment

When you go to my in-laws and a "hot" drink is offered I have a choice of either a Bilo teabag or Bilo instant coffee placed in a huge mug, cold water added and then heated in the microwave until hot. Bilo Longlife milk is added at the end! They dont have sugar in their drinks so usually theres none on offer either. Consequently, now when asked if Id like a hot drink I usually say that Ive not long since had one but would love a glass of water. Even they cant stuff that up!

Ragdoll

Rancilio Silvia, Rancilio doserless Rocky, Greg Pullman Tamper.

Comment

Seeing as we are talking about in-laws...

Ive got a great mother-in-law! She patiently allows me to make my coffee on my own machine which we take with us when we go up and stay with her.

Of course theres a catch...

I have to make her coffee too!!

We recently let her inherit the old Sunbeam which is a step up from the DeLonghi something or other that she owned and I couldnt be bothered with! The Sunbeam was paired up with the "Starbucks" grinder which did a credible job and a whole lot easier for her compared to the other thing (which I never bothered to look apon. ).

Comment

people know with me ... theyll say, "tea? coffee? no wait ... my coffee wont be up to scratch ... tea?"

I give a sheepish smile that Ive been working on (I call it latigra) and say, "Id love a tea thanks."

Works a charm.

Comment

Working...
                              X