Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coffee Van Pictures

Hey there guys.

Some of you may remember my post a bit back regarding questions about odds bits and pieces.

Alas some 2 months or so later the frankenstein thats made in Frankston is ready.

Pictures are worth a thousand words so here goes...

Re: Coffee Van Pictures

Congratulations!

Looking good there :-)

When do you open for business?

Belinda

Comment

ty

Today is the 5th day now, surpsingly from day one however the sales have been dominated by juices and smoothies, strange although I spose the weather has been a influencing factor. Still refinding the run and have got 8-11 booked solid and now looking to expand to the rest of the day and hunt down events.

Comment

And how are the ergonomics of the layout?

I assume you spend weeks working out what goes where and then after a couple of days using it you start to find "should-as and could-as"

Events? Maybe we can book you for a CoffeeSnobs cafe day... at the beach or in the bush!

Comment

Congratulations

All the best in your new business.

Renzo, Ofra and Benito

Comment

Hey guys, sorry about the delay in replying didnt know there were responses.

Thanks for your well wishes Corretto & Di Bartoli

And how are the ergonomics of the layout?

I assume you spend weeks working out what goes where and then after a couple of days using it you start to find "should-as and could-as"
            Andy it has been a bit like that on a few small things on the plus side though we have been fairly happy with the design as we had it designed from scratch ourselves. (few nights drawing sketches there) Totally unlike the franchised vans which u see around who pay 100+k for a layout that is suited to minimize their franchiser costs and designed for other people not your suitability. Main things Id change is the positioning of the grinder (long since bolted in) layout of a few electrical pipes and possibly not have put that hefty commercial juicer in the van.

Events? Maybe we can book you for a CoffeeSnobs cafe day... at the beach or in the bush!
            Had some luck with events and more then a few duds, still getting a feel for it and developing the contacts. Looking at tying myself in with 2 clubs over winter on weekends. Atm you can find us on Saturdays (feb 3rd onwards we return to the Kooyang grounds catering to Little Athletics, feel free to drop by) My partner and me work quiet well together in the back cause we share a familiarity that most baristas dont share behind the coffee machine lol. Often can instictvly know what the other needs without asking which speeds up things without scarificing quality.

Feel free to book us for a day in the bush Andy, although Id have a feeling youd all be clammering to try shots on the machine and show each other your handywork while I enjoy a cold one.

Comment

Congratulation BrighterSide! your van looks very neat.

Where is your business in Autralia!

Do you roast your on coffee!

Good luck for your business.

Cheers,

Serge

Comment

Congrats.

The sporting club ties sounds like a good idea.

When I was researching a similar venture I had plans to hit the soccer grounds on the weekends to cater to all those screaming parents.

Comment

BrighterSide

Are you selling the van on eBay?

Comment

Originally posted by Thundergod link=1159868364/0#7 date=1167916093
                    Congrats.

When I was researching a similar venture I had plans to hit the soccer grounds on the weekends to cater to all those screaming parents.
                    I am not sure whether those "soccer parents" need anymore coffee quite often they seem quite high stung already

Comment

Originally posted by Coffeechaser link=1159868364/0#9 date=1167953133
                      Originally posted by Thundergod link=1159868364/0#7 date=1167916093
                      Congrats.

I am not sure whether those "soccer parents" need anymore coffee quite often they seem quite high stung already  

Yeppers- definitely decaf for everybody, I reckon

2mcm

Comment

Originally posted by BrighterSide link=1159868364/0#5 date=1167913208
                        Totally unlike the franchised vans which u see around who pay 100+k for a layout that is suited to minimize their franchiser costs and designed for other people not your suitability.

Dont be too hard on those who develop coffee vans.....there is a reason for the expense not the least of which is the initial cost of the van. Most seem to like Merc Vito and at a minimum of around $45000.00 for a plain white empty van, theres the starting point from where the dollars can only keep piling up.  

I disagree with the comment regarding that they design vans for their convenience not that of the user. I think you will find their designs are under constant "review" according to the feedback they get from their operators.

You would well know that when you start from scratch you spend a great deal of time designing, building, redesigning and changing what you built in the first place.  This is time consuming and expensive. The time consuming aspect is a double edged sword...while you are redesigning something that didnt work well in the first place, or having to line up new subies  because the old ones arent reliable or did a bad job that has to be redone or they coudnt be bothered spending the time on doing something from first principles like this,  the van operator is losing income which until someone points this out, is a significant if hidden impost in the equation....you buy a ready made unit and you are ready to go immediately.

So there is more to this than meets the eye.

So for example:

Vito Van $45000.00
                        Electrical fitout if going inverter $20,000.00
                        Catering Equipment say $10000.00;
                        Commercial Shop fitout say $15000.00
                        Exemplary Total = say $90,000.00

Lastly, the van developer is entitled to a fair return for his work so add some kind of percentage to the 90 gs as fair recompense.

Ofcourse, the figure can be lower to start with if you elect to go with a generator instead of an inverter system, but you end up spending a commensurate amount in petrol and maintenance and relacement of the genie in the next three to five years anyhow...its just converted into a hidden running cost rather than a capital cost at the start.  

The thing I really disgree with however is paying fees to the developer for purchasing a "territory"....what territory?

I am not "standing up" for franchise van conglomerates and dont have anything to do with them, but I think the readers here need to have a balance in comments they read.

Hope this helps all.

Regardz,
                        FC.

Comment

The "territory" means they wont put another operator in the same geographical area as you.
                          Doesnt mean though you wont be competing with other franchises in the same "territory".
                          They cant guarantee you that.

Comment

Indeed! Thats why I object.

Regardz,
                            FC.

Comment

LOL
                              Of course!

When I firat started discussing such a franchise as a way out of my current unemployment situation, my son (the mean, practicle bastard that he is i.e. chip off the old block) suggested I do what BrighterSide has and set up my own vehicle - then follow a franchised operator around for a few days to learn the run, and beat them there everyday. ;D

Comment

Working...
                              X