Affogato

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Affogato

Ok - I know there are mixed feelings about the Affogato. Some cafes wont even serve them for one reason or another - usually I have been told that No! this is not a real coffee drink.

Well, I must confess that I really like Affogato - nothing better on a hot afternoon.

I had my first of the season at lunch time today. Now I know Ive already waxed lyrical about the joys of Epic - so much so that you may be getting bored with it - well Im not! They do an affogato that really is something else. Imagine the greatest shot of coffee youve ever had poured over the creamiest, most luscious vanilla bean ice cream. Remember the key to the amazing Epic shots is the huge mouthfeel and range of flavours - something almost, but not quite bordering on savoury. Then too this you have added rich and sweet ice cream.

It blew me away - why doesnt everyone make these? Why doesnt the rest of perth know about this place yet?

Yes -I rave about Epic - perhaps because it is the first Cafe I have walked into that can consistantly live up to the rave.

Re: Affogato

Youre a lucky bloke there grendel,

Not many of us have such a terrific venue to imbibe wonderful coffee so close to home, well.... there is home of course ,

Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by grendel link=1161950133/0#0 date=1161950133
      Ok - I know there are mixed feelings about the Affogato. Some cafes wont even serve them for one reason or another - usually I have been told that No! this is not a real coffee drink.
      Glad you found someone that knows how to make this very simple (but exquisite) espresso drink, let alone do it well. Most dont know what it is and even if they did, would ruin it point blank with a badly made espresso. This I think you will find, is the real reason behind the quoted comments above. Not really the kind of drink to put on the menu in a regular eatery.

But..........wouldnt it look better (for them) if the cafe staff were to just fess up that they dont know what you mean, and ask you what it is and how you would like it made and then have a go....rather than to give a bull dust answer that makes them look bad like "its a not a real coffee drink"?

Regardz,
      FC.

Comment

FC - dead right, Id rather explain to a person how to make the drink I want rather than have some poor interpretation of it - a lot like a cocktail really. I have ordered affogato in the past and received a dollop of ice cream in a long black - and not a good long black either. I am ashamed to admit that I drank it rather than sending it back and explaining how I wanted it - something I would certainly do these days. Better for them and better for me. We are about to approach the local cafe up here and ask them if they want some help in tuning their coffee - at the moment is is of an appalling standard.

Comment

I have served affogato on occassion at work. But I actually only do it for special customers and the bosses!

Its a fun drink, IMO!

I love to serve it all separate. I put the icecream in a chunky glass, the shot of espresso in a shot glass and add a shot of Franjelico...okay so maybe thats not true to the drink but it is a great addition. I put the three glasses onto a largish white plate, along with a spoon. The customer doesnt get the shot of Franjelico but they can have a shot of hazelnut syrup if they like. (Hmm, note to self:maybe should try it with that yummy Alchemy Tiramasu flavour!)

When the drink is served up in that fashion, I always get oohs and ahs from the customers. Then they want to know how to drink it. Half the fun I think with this drink is how you put it together. Does it taste better if you pour the coffee in first or the shot or vice versa! So many decisions and choices!

Affogato, I believe, means "Drowned". Quite appropriate really! ;D

Comment

Im a big fan of the Frangelico addition as well scoota gal, its one of my favourite liqueurs.

But, Ive heard a horror story from a fellow coffee snob... a horror story of something they got served once that they could only describe to me as Avocado Affogato. I saw a photo and was horrified. Yes, avocado, espresso and vanilla ice cream.

Scary.

Comment

I gave it a go on our specials board a few weeks back when it was hot, now its on the menu.
              Also made one with chocolate ice cream...mocha affogato?

I dont mind the odd shot of baileys in mine

Comment

What about a cappuccino with vanila ice cream? afoggcino :-?

Comment

Ahhhh... one of my favourites... simple, rich, but not so much as youll regret you did.
                  For me it just has to include franjelico, the best vanilla icecream possible and of course a good double shot expresso. :P

Comment

I LOVE a good affogato.... which 98% of the time means making it at home. i made a few for friends over for dinner once with premium choc/mint icecream, they were great too... but rich vanilla bean is always the best.!

Comment

I had an afogato made the way scoota gal described in a restaurant in Newcastle. The food and service at this place was top notch, they has a decent coffee machine, as so looked reasonably set up for quality coffee. Alas, no afogato on the menu. Anyway I asked, the waitress said she would ask if they would do one, which kinda made me think, oh no, what am I gonna get??? Well, when she brought it over to the table in separate glasses etc, she got top marks!!! I love to be surprised in a good way with my coffee.

Comment

Im with you there grendel...

The Epic affogato blew me away. I had a quality pistachio ice cream with a shot of custom blend coffee. The texture and body was sublime. The nutty array from the ice cream breaking through the espresso was like something i never tried before. Then the sweetness and rich mouth feel that followed was intense.

Definately an experience. Now that the warmer weather is moving in looks like it will be a regular on my list.

Comment

I reckon I might have to smuggle a small bottle of frangelico in with me one afternoon and add it to my affogato! That sounds pretty nice.

I am going to have to drop up there for the pistachio one this week - I am thnking of friday afternoon at this point - looks like it is going to be a warm one.

Comment

Is that coffee over pistachio ice cream, grendel?

Comment

Indeed it is - and I am just back from trying it.

Great stuff - again a terrific ice cream, although my preference is alway for the vanilla bean.

Another great Affogato though - I can see a weekly treat of these throughout summer.

Comment

Working...
                              X