Water filters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water filters

Ive tried searching the site for some info on water filters that Im sure was posted a while back, but to no avail.

Basically, I wanted to know if someone can enlighten me on a decent system to attach to the kitchen taps. Im keen to reduce the amount of scale producing crud Im filling my machine with if at all possible.

I understand that the Brita jugs I currently use do not filter out all impurities, but Im finding researching on the web a little vague as well.

Some filters claim to remove metals, some mention hardness, but dont really give details on which type of filter or process to use.

Anyone got a good unit they can recommend?

Brett.

Re: Water filters

Gday Brett,

Give FC a call at Cosmorex, hes got lots of info and options for this sort of application,

Mal.

Comment

Brett, my understanding is that BRITA filters DO remove just about eveyrything in water except fluoride, and certainly the calcium compounds.

www.brita.com.au

-Robusto

Comment

I lucked out at Kmart a fortnight ago - they had these Brita jugs with a special pack for mum but I couldnt see a price anywhere so I took it to one of the price check scanners where it came up at $3. Considering the same jug without the extra pack was $35 I scurried up to the checkout and put it through as fast as I could - love it when they miss a 0 in the pricing.

This one uses a new filter (maxtra or something) which is supposed to (cut and paste from their website follows):

Step 1
        Pre-Filtration: The water flows through a fine mesh filter.

Step 2
        Ion Exchange Filtration: The ion exchange resin reduces the heavy metals, including lead and copper, as well as the carbonate hardness that causes limescale build-up in kettles and affects the taste and aroma of tea or coffee.

Step 3
        Activated Carbon Filtration: The granulated activated carbon significantly reduces substances that affect the taste and odour of your tap water, such as chlorine, certain pesticides and organic impurities.

Step 4
        Final Filtration: Fine mesh particle filter.

Anyway it works pretty well for what it is, but as with anything it has its limitations.

Comment

I saw the new maxtra filters on the Brita stand at Kmart today.
          I was lucky and picked up a frypan for a 50% discount.
          After price scan errors and taking the supervisor to see the shelf price we were still none the wiser as to the correct presale price but I ended up paying half the scanned price which worked out to $16.
          For a 30cm Tefal Im happy with the deal.

Ive been using a Brita that I dug out from the back of the cupboard when I got my Expobar.
          I found a great price on a 4 pack of filters one day in Coles and basicaaly got one free.
          At my rate of usage I change for a new filter every 3 months.
          It can be a pain waiting for it to filter, so Im in the habit now of filling the jug every time I empty it and then its always ready to top up my resevoir.

Mum has a built in unit under the sink.
          Its convenient in not having to change filters as often but is slow to pour so I prefer my jug.

Comment

If you buy Brita jug filter catridges when they are on special, as often they are, they can be obtained for around $6 or $7 each, and last 6 months. Probably the cheapest filters available.

On my boat I use an inline silver-impregnated carbon filter and that works out at around $60-$70 a year.

-Robusto

Comment

I think Brita Systems are ok for light solutions of hardness minerals but if your tap water is really hard, the filters will only remove the Calcium and Magnesium compounds for a short while and then become saturated. They will still work ok for all the other factors up to the quoted limits, so if your primary reason for using this type of filtration is to remove water hardness compounds, then you would be better served using other measures, hence my recommendation to talk to Attilio of CosmoreX Coffee, he has significant experience in this area.....

All the best,
              Mal.

Comment

Thanks Mal,
                Ill give Attilio a buzz soon.

Ive been using the Brita cartridges in jugs for over 2 years. They do a great job with things like chlorine and visible particulants, and the taste of the water is fine, but they do NOT appear to be a firm solution to calcium and other factors contributing to scale in the boiler.

My Silvia only ever had water from these filtered jugs and still built up scale.

Now, Melbourne water isnt too bad (or wasnt in the past) but since we are getting so low in the dam capacity now, the water quality is noticeably worse recently, so Im looking for a more solid solution.

Brett.

Comment

Originally posted by fatboy link=1167137360/0#7 date=1167208969
                  Thanks Mal,

Now, Melbourne water isnt too bad (or wasnt in the past) but since we are getting so low in the dam capacity now, the water quality is noticeably worse recently, so Im looking for a more solid solution.

Brett.
                  I dont know what part of Melbourne you live in Brett, but Ive certainly not noticed any difference in water quality, drought or no drought.

The dams are not "so low". They are at this moment 39.1 per cent full. Water purity is determined by filtration and sterilising additives controlled by Melbourne Water, not by water level.

-Robusto

Comment

robusto,

Just above my picture is a hint to what suburb I am in.

The dam level surely contributes to water purity.
                    The water is drawn from the middle part of the dam. The cleaner the water, the less additives are required. The lower the level, the smaller the window of naturally clean water to draw on.

Our dam levels are certainly lower than they have been for a long time and I have noticed the extra chlorine in our water over the last few weeks.

Ive never noticed the smell of chlorine in Melbourne water before, so I came to the conclusion that it is being added due to the decrease in water quality.

This is in conjunction with an article I read in the Age a few months back that said once we went under 40%, the water companies were in new territory (as the levels had not been this low since pre privatisation).

Anyhow, the upshot is - I think the water quality has decreased, so I want to do something about it in my own house.

Brett.

Comment

counter top model kdf carbon filter will do the trick a diverter valve is fitted to the tap cheers poddy66

Comment

Originally posted by fatboy link=1167137360/0#9 date=1167211753
                        Just above my picture is a hint to what suburb I am in.

Brett.

I give in. Youe in Fatboy suburb?  Starsville?  Smokeyburg...... A hint, please! :-/

Robusto

Comment

Really?

Umm.. OK.

On the left, where my name is, it reads.
                          fatboy
                          Ol Smokey
                          Wheelers Hill
                          Victoria
                          Australia

And on the news tonight, predictions that Thomsons Dam may fall below 20% by May. Spooky stuff.

Comment

It reads to me

How could you not love a baby?

:-?

Comment

Ah, well it must be a setting in Profile then.

I have input my location in my profile and see it when I make a post. If other people have put in their locations (like Coffee Kid, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia), I can also see them.

I thought it was a default.

My apologies.

Brett.

Comment

Working...
                              X