Exploding Duralex!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exploding Duralex!

What I thought was an odd thing happened here tonight. My wife was putting a Duralex glass in the dishwasher, and as she put it in, she barely touched the side of another glass. The Duralex shattered in her hand!
    I did a Google search and it turns out that Duralexes can just shatter...

Even more reason to have coffee from an ACF or Nuova Point!  

Re: Exploding Duralex!

Originally posted by joe link=1169208569/0#0 date=1169208569
    What I thought was an odd thing happened here tonight. My wife was putting a Duralex glass in the dishwasher, and as she put it in, she barely touched the side of another glass. The Duralex shattered in her hand!
    I did a Google search and it turns out that Duralexes can just shatter...

Even more reason to have coffee from an ACF or Nuova Point!  
    Very common- we had probably 50 do that in our various cafes. BTW I hear that Duralex has gone under....

Comment

Duralex can just do that, with very little pressure. When my son was 3, I had Duralex plates, and was teaching him to put his plate in the sink after eating. One day he missed the bench, the plate hit the lino floor, from a height of maybe 1/2 metre, and shattered into hundreds of tiny pieces. He was physically unhurt, but obviously psychologically scarred. The Duralex dinnerware has long since been replaced. My son is now 15 and Im still trying to get him to put his plates in the sink.....

Comment

I think that you will find that duralex is designed to shatter upon significant or repeated contact, so as not to produce any nasty shards of glass to prick yourself with - no! no! no!

I have found that certain designs in the duralex range are more prone to shattering, whilst others stand up to punishment a bit better - and yes, the standard latte glass does tend to break a lot more readily for reasons unknown, which is one of the reasons which I prefer to drink from ceramic!

P

Comment

Very common- we had probably 50 do that in our various cafes.
          And cafes still use them??  Theyre game!

Comment

Originally posted by Viviane link=1169208569/0#2 date=1169212220
             My son is now 15 and Im still trying to get him to put his plates in the sink.....

I somehow dont think it hasa anything to do with the shattered plate incident : it may just be a 15yo boy thing

Comment

Originally posted by joe link=1169208569/0#4 date=1169214258
              And cafes still use them??  Theyre game!
              yeah, i seem to remember it happening in just about every cafe ive worked in. Its not all that dire really, considering the way they break its pretty safe. Unless it happens in a bar near the ice...

Comment

Originally posted by lucinda link=1169208569/0#5 date=1169214922
                Originally posted by Viviane link=1169208569/0#2 date=1169212220
                 My son is now 15 and Im still trying to get him to put his plates in the sink.....

I somehow dont think it hasa anything to do with the shattered plate incident : it may just be a 15yo boy thing
                I have to agree.

Id say hes an intelligent child.
                Thats obvious because at the age of 3 he instantly recognised the potential to turn the unfortunate accident to his advantage.
                On the other hand, if he did it on purpose, hes not intelligent, hes a genius!

Comment

Originally posted by joe link=1169208569/0#4 date=1169214258
                  And cafes still use them?? Theyre game!
                  Yeah, well, they break in the least harmful way possible and they are as cheap as cheap can be ... which is why I heard that Duralex went under. I cant actually remember any breakages ...

Still, gimme a nice and small ACF tulip cappuccino any day. Cant wait until theyre back in stock. I think that everyone at work will grab half a dozen for home, the importer will run out again and well have to wait another six months!

Cheers,

Luca

Comment

My daughter is of much the same age and can’t find the dish washer either (come to think of it neither can my wife) so it might just be “a thing”.

Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by luca link=1169208569/0#8 date=1169278530
                      Still, gimme a nice and small ACF tulip cappuccino any day.  Cant wait until theyre back in stock.  I think that everyone at work will grab half a dozen for home, the importer will run out again and well have to wait another six months!

Cheers,

Luca

Im going to ask a dumb question.. What is an ACF tulip cappuccino cup? Is ACF the manufacturer? Where can they be sought when in stock? Coffee Parts?

The other thing...after how much use have the Duralex cups shattered? I use them as my prefered cup for milk based drinks...

Comment

Originally posted by Flo link=1169208569/0#11 date=1169302410
                        Im going to ask a dumb question.. What is an ACF tulip cappuccino cup? Is ACF the manufacturer?
                        Note to self: Before posting "dumb" questions do a Google search  : :-[

Comment

We discovered the exploding duralex in a coffee shop while out one day with our 2 yr old - who ended up sitting in a pile of what was once a latte glass!

Comment

Working...
                          X