Call THAT espresso!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Call THAT espresso!!!

I buy a daily latte at work --- parting with $2 for that I dont mind, as the deficiencies of the espresso are masked by the milk.

Never, never, do I buy an espresso --- on the principle that it aint worth parting with $2 for a 30- 60 ml beverage of dubious quality.

But today, I threw caution to the wind, and joined by work colleague for a coffee. She has a long black.

The barista seemed knowledgeable, from my previous visits to the establishment.

So I asked for a "double, 60 ml espresso thank you".

I got a single, 30 ml job with a pale crema which dissipated before my eyes. "Perhaps he didnt hear me, eh"

It was bitter. Oh, so, so bitter. And coming from a commercial Wega two-group machine.

My policy was vindicated. Its now back to lattes only from cafes.
    ---And I am an espresso drinker of long, long standing, too.

Silvia, I love you more after my unfaithful but short-lived affair.

--Robusto

Re: Call THAT espresso!!!

I stick to tea when I go out. Im currently hooked on rooibos or honeybush. The flavour is very delicate, and quite resistant to temperature, so its nearly impossible to scorch it with too hot water.

Comment

You are a gamer (so much potential for another grammar debate for that word ) man than I. I dont even drink lattes at cafes unless I know they have an excellent reputation. So at the moment that is 2 cafes. There are others I want to explore but just havent had the chance yet. Mineral water is my preferred option at cafes that I dont know, or cafes that I know are no good.

Comment

Gamer passes.

Same here now. Cant drink coffee where I used to.

The only coffee Im game to drink out at the moment are from Hazel and Renzo (Di Bartolis).

I havent found the time yet to try some of those recommended here.

Comment

Actually, I had a Double Ristretto in a cafe in QVB lower floor... Fresco Espresso I think it was... it wasnt a bad experience - pleasing actually - nothing stood out, perhaps a slightly fruity taste, low acidity, managable sourness - mouthfeel was middle ground... The person serving me had no clue what a Ristretto was (even though they have it on the menu - funny hey) but the barista knew what I wanted... the crema was lacking but overall isnt too bad... followed by a flat white - too bad it came out as a Latte in the end...

It can be had... but it is rare as robusta pointed out...

Marc

Comment

I have a regular customer (who is also a good friend!) and if the espresso I pour for him when I am at work even looks like crapola, I will pour again until its satisfactory. I pretty much always get the thumbs up from him! And if its not thumbs up, its find out where Ive gone wrong, ie is the machine clean, how old are the beans, have I tamped it right, is it dosed correctly and you get the idea!

And theres not ever a pale blonde in sight!

Comment

Originally posted by scoota gal link=1169639920/0#5 date=1169698918
              So the rumours are true then. Everyone down there really is tanned! : ;D

Java "Lots of pale blondes up here!!" phile
              Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Originally posted by scoota gal link=1169639920/0#5 date=1169698918
                I have a regular customer (who is also a good friend!) and if the espresso I pour for him when I am at work even looks like crapola, I will pour again until its satisfactory. I pretty much always get the thumbs up from him! And if its not thumbs up, its find out where Ive gone wrong, ie is the machine clean, how old are the beans, have I tamped it right, is it dosed correctly and you get the idea!

Now THAT is service, Scootagal. Every alleged barista and cafe owner should take note.

--Robusto

Comment

Yeah, I usually avoid ordering any coffee when out, cause I feel rude if I dont drink it and leave it there.

Comment

Its a pitiful shame. Theres some mighty expensive hardware sitting on those cafe benches. Three- and four-group machines with volumetric dosing, pressure gauges, temperatue control and all the rest.

Machinery just itching to realise its potential to make excellent coffee.

But add cheap beans and untrained staff to the mix.... and we get a poor excuse for coffee.

To make it that bad at home with our domestic machines, wed have to try really hard.

Pity.

--Robusto

Comment

Originally posted by robusto link=1169639920/0#9 date=1169708661
                      To make it that bad at home with our domestic machines, wed have to try really hard.
                      I have had plenty of bad coffee at peoples houses but at least they dont charge you 3 bucks for it. But you are correct with such impresseive equipment at some cafes it is a shame they dont throw some coin at training and fresh beans as well.

Comment

Three- and four-group machines with volumetric dosing, pressure gauges, temperatue control and all the rest.

--Robusto
                        AHHH

Volumetric dosing - the instant coffee manufacturers invention to make their coffee more acceptable.

How many times do you see a barista lock in the pf, push the dose button and do something else until it is finished.... did it pour in 15 seconds...or 45?.... was it blonding well before the end?

Who cares... theres 30 ml of something in the cup, throw in some milk and call it a coffee!!

Volumetric might be great for busy cafes, but it often results in sub standard product... different baristi tamp to a different pressure, they ideally would use a slightly different grind as well....are the beans ageing so the grinder needs to be adjusted?.... but not to worry (unless like Corey at Epic you spend ages getting all your baristi to do the whole process EXACTLY the same)...

Just push that button and out comes 30 ml.... job done!! :

(and yep, I have a La Cimbali dosetron.... but use the machine as a semi- auto)

Comment

Or.... Insert earplugs, put on a full-face bike helmet with a blacked-out visor and have someone kindly point you in the general direction of the coffee bench

Mal.

Comment

Ive only seen a tamper used in one cafe. Everywhere else its the lift up to the grinder method.

As to the volumetric dosing....Thats interesting. On the occasions Ive tried to make conversation with the 12-year-old baristas, asking them what volume the machine is set to, they answer that they do not know.

They dont know how many mls theyre extracting hour after hour, day after week after month. You would think that out of idle curiosity alone, let alone taking an interest in their work, they would attempt to find out.

"The boss sets it" is the reply.

Sets and forgets. Perhaps when the cafe is first open, and never gain.

--Robusto

Comment

Originally posted by nunu link=1169639920/0#1 date=1169640317
                              I stick to tea when I go out.  Im currently hooked on rooibos or honeybush.  The flavour is very delicate, and quite resistant to temperature, so its nearly impossible to scorch it with too hot water.
                              Sounds nice, Nunu, but....call me eccentric,  the stingy person within me prevents me paying money for a dab of slightly coloured and flavoured hot water.   I dont like paying for something that comes relatively free out of a tap (water, that is)  8-)

At least with a cappuccino or latte you get the benefit of a hefty dose of milk. And that doesnt come free from the tap! ;D

--Robusto

Comment

Working...
                              X