Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flavoured Coffee Beans - How are they made?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flavoured Coffee Beans - How are they made?

I often walk past my Gloria Jeans or Coffee Connection store and smell the wonderful aromas of the coffee bean. I also have taken a liking to the flavoured beans that are on offer. Hazelnut, Chocolate marshmallow, Macadamia nut, Caramel Fudge, Jack Daniels, Pina Colada just to name a few. I was wondering how they make these :question

I know these flavoured beans are better for plunger coffees so the flavours are more enhanced by sitting in the coffee longer but, I still think you get enough flavour, enough for my liking anyway using my home espresso machine.

Re: Flavoured Coffee Beans - How are they made?

The beans are put in a mixer and coated with a flavoring syrup/oil post roast.

Beware the flavoring of these beans coating your grinder and contaminating the next batch of beans.

Java "Prefers the real stuff" phile
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Isnt it better to buy the syrup nd add it to the coffee post shot?

i like to add vanilla syrup to iced coffee and also have a liking of orange syrup to a dark roast.

Comment

where can you get these syrups and how much do they cost and how much do you add. Sounds like a great idea, saves clogging up your grinder.

Comment

Most good coffee shops have them - even Starbucks have giant bottles of the stuffthough I am not sure of the price. Some brands are also in the coffee aisle of some supermarkets.

I get my vanilla syrup fron Hudsons and I think they have some others in a 500ml bottle for about 5 dollars. I can recommend it as it lasts for ages and is very good.

As for quantity, it all depends on how much you like. I use about 1-2 teaspoons in an iced coffee.

Comment

Cool I will look into this. I have seen the flavoured syrups in Gloria Jeans but didnt realise that these are what they use to flavour the beans.

Cheers

Comment

As for flavoured beans.........they are nasty. In a previous job I had to use them, here is the process:

1. Roast something mild, low acidic and cheap to medium roast level
              2. when it is dumped, do not let it cool
              3. In a sealed from the factory room, with mask, gloves and extractor fan going......
              4. Mix 10 kg beans to about 200ml of syrup(chemical based) until coated.
              5. Ask somebody else to open the mixing container cause it stinks!!!!!

You are much better off using a syrup in your cup, but look for naturally distilled syrups.

Comment

Originally posted by The Goodies link=1170054111/0#5 date=1170061305
                Cool I will look into this. I have seen the flavoured syrups in Gloria Jeans but didnt realise that these are what they use to flavour the beans.

Cheers
                The syrups you buy to add to your cup are not the same syrups used to coat/flavor the beans. Totally different animals.

Java "The coffee animal" phile
                Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

One of the reasons for flavouring these beans is to hide the low quality of the bean. If you like flavoured coffees youll get a much better drink if you add a flavoured syrup to your own high quality coffee.

Comment

Originally posted by Viviane link=1170054111/0#8 date=1170065497
                    One of the reasons for flavouring these beans is to hide the low quality of the bean.  If
                    Not neccissarily, as you dont cool the beans you land up baking them, so you need a decent bean to start. In the past in previous jobs we have used
                    colombian Excelso and Indian Mysore AA, neither great, but neither terrible.

Comment

Thanks, Ill stand corrected.

Comment

Cosmorex sells the excellent Alchemy syrups. They have wonderful flavours and are purported to be natural.

My personal fave is the coconut and walnut one. Excellent in an icy cold frappe!

Comment

I bought a syrup today which is the Bickfords Caramel syrup. $3.95 for 300ml. Is this a good price? I thought is was compared to the Gloria Jean range of $14.95 750ml or $9.95 for 375ml. Havent tried any other syrups ecept this one. I had to use about 3 teaspoons to get a decent flavour. Is this compariable to other syrups used?

Comment

That is a good price.

Hudsons also sell their vanilla - and I think they have caramel too for about $5.00 for 500ml.

Very good quality too.

Comment

If you have access to flavoured essences you can make your own syrups. Use a 1:1 ratio of sugar to water. Bring to the boil stirring constantly until all sugar is dissolved. Pour into glass bottle and allow to cool. Add flavoured essence of choice. Give a good shake, and use at your leisure.

Comment

Working...
                              X