No announcement yet.

How much does an average barista earn?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much does an average barista earn?

Hi guys,

Moneys always a touchy subject so I hope someone can answer this without thinking Im seeking information on what they personally earn, but Im curious as to how much people get paid for making coffee. Obviously the working-my-way-through-uni baristas dont get as much as the top professionals, and some employers may pay well above the average mark for someone who is a real asset to their shop (an article in The Age suggests $100k for the top ones! http://www.theage.com.au/news/epicur...290445781.html; but Im sure theres a general range for, say, newbie, few years experience, and 6+ years experience.

Any info?

Thanks!
    Greg

Re: How much does an average barista earn?

$100,000!?!?!?! Thats a hell of a lot of coffees.

Comment

In NSW I have not had any success at finding out what, if any award exists for baristas. So most, IMO, would be paid under the Shop Assistants Award which, is about 17 bucks an hour gross for a casual worker. You can go to the NSW government webpage to check for yourself what the award pay rate should be. This is the pay rate that I am employed under.

If there is a baristas award then I wouldnt mind finding it out but so far have had no luck in finding one in NSW.

Comment

I also couldnt find a specific one for baristas in NSW scoota.
        Ive been quoted around $15 to $16/hour as award rate for those couple of jobs Ive tried to get.
        So sounds about right.

Heres a thought though, show the boss a copy of that article Greg posted the link to.
        I might print out a copy and take it to my next interview.

Comment

Just emailed her the link!

Gotta wonder where the Age got their information from though, TG.

Comment

When I first started the barista gig I was around $16/hr....so that seems on par with many young newbie baristas out there. Thats what waiters and bar staff get around the 18 year old mark.

Over the last two years it has steadily increased with my experience. Id rather not discuss my current wage, but it was negotiated.

$100k per annum.....sign me up!! :

Comment

In NSW, it depends on the type of business you work in. If the premises sells mostly takeaway food and beverages, then youre covered by the NSW Shop Employees Award. If its mainly eat in then its the NSW Restaurants and Employees Award. If you work in a food business attached to a pub, then those awards are over-ridden by the federal Hotel Employees award. Either way they all cover baristas, you just have to look carefully. The pay rate would range from $14-$17 per hour.

Comment

So at $17 an hour
                4 weeks leave
                Sundays off
                Leaves 285 days

$100,000 / 285 = 20 hours a day.

Comment

Im talking award rates. Of course a really good coffee shop is going to pay a really good barista more. In most cases though you are lucky to get the award, certainly in my neck of the woods.

Comment

Originally posted by Thundergod link=1171269337/0#7 date=1171284843
                    So at $17 an hour
                    4 weeks leave
                    Sundays off
                    Leaves 285 days

$100,000 / 285 = 20 hours a day.

Lets rearrange this equation

$100,000/285 days = $350.9/day

($350.9/day) / (9 hours/day) = ~$40/hr. Expensive to hire, but reasonable if the operations is high volume and the baristas skills warrant that much pay.

Comment

It could factor in tips and output bonuses for every kilo over x amount, or shots per kilo, etc. as well.

Just because it was written in some article in the paper doesnt mean its true... half of the crap journalists write is just that, crap.

Comment

Originally posted by Bon link=1171269337/0#10 date=1171307141
                        It could factor in tips and output bonuses for every kilo over x amount, or shots per kilo, etc. as well.
                        As an owner I dabbled with bonuses and incentives. When I experimented with the kilo bonus our bean use sky rocketed but the volume of coffees sold was static, one operator suggested I was shooting myself in the foot because some of the best margins were in the no caffienated drinks(chai etc)

I opted for a weekly bonus based on my own biased, subjective, flawed interpretation of what happened on the floor. Needless to say this is only good if you are actually there, watching, listening etc

Comment

I know of some baristas working 6 days a week (early morning - mid arvo) pulling in $800 - $2000 clear

However, those on the upper end of the scale, pushed alot of coffee out the door but on top of that they were also managing the place for the owner thus doing a hell of a lot more than just pressing water through the grind

Comment

Doesnt work choices (Dare I say those 2 words) override the state awards if youre starting fresh??

Question is, are quality Baristas in demand?

Comment

You hash out your award or wages with the employer. Its called negotiation. If you agree to be paid award, so be it. You can never be paid below award wages.

Comment

Working...
                              X