Where To Buy Quality Ceramics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where To Buy Quality Ceramics?

I want to get some really nice Italian espresso and cappuccino cups for giving as a gift. Illy quality but not Illy prices! I am in Sydney and would prefer to shop locally so I can see (and feeeeel) the merchandise before purchase. Or a good recommendation by a CSer could tempt me to buy online from interstate.

Re: Where To Buy Quality Ceramics?

Ive got some 260 ml cups if you are interested.
    German made  - Rosenthal.
    No espresso sized ones though.
    Theres a picture in this thread: http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1163807810/
    You are welcome to see and feel them.

Comment

I use a great brand called incasa. These are excellent coffee cups. Cheap too, about $20 for six.

I am not sure where you are but Peter at simply coffee has them. He also has other stuff if you are in Adelaide. Most coffee suppliers would probably have these cups as they are very good value for money.

This is a pic of three of them, the patterns are different now as I have had mine about 3 years.

Comment

Here is a pic of the inside of the cup, the rim is nice and thick and the base is curved (the tomato is there to show the thickness of the rim).

I have found these are great for pouring latte art - even though I am still learning I get more success with these than any other cup.

We actually bought these for family members as a gift in New Zealand and they are dishwasher safe.

Comment

If you can get hold of ACF ceramics (not to be confused with AFC) then you will be on to a good thing.  The only problem is that they are expensive and hard to source.

The quality is amazing and have great heat retention.

You will probably want to keep them for yourself though.

I use incasa espresso cups and find them to be very good as well.  I bought mine from a local Italian deli for about $16.00 for a set of 6 espresso cups and saucers.  Cant go wrong with that price.

Comment

I have had great success recently scouting for cups in 2nd hand stores such as St Vinnies & the Salvos, and I managed to get my hands on several sets of excellent 150ml coffee cups (still boxed) and some AFC cups and saucers, which looked like the had not been used as all, plus a stunning ceramic sugar bowl and lid - all for the paltry sum of $3!

These are too good to give away, though, Im keeping them for myself!

P

Comment

Thanks for the replies

Thanks for the offer Thundergod but I am looking for a different shape to those, more tulip shaped.

I will look for the Incasa brand they look really nice, thanks for the photos lucinda. ACF would be good too if I can find them. I might ring Caffe Bianchi and see if they have any.

Vinnies sounds promising too, but for a gift!?

Comment

I think I saw ACF in Cafe Bianchi last time I had a sticky beak in there.

Comment

Confusion with Nuova Point cups

This is my very first post (thanks to Andy F for reminding me). I found this two types of Nuova point cups,

Sorrento - Espresso Cups - 60 ml - 2 oz
                  Amalfi - Cappuccino Cups - 150 ml - 5 oz

My question above is the conversion from ml to oz. Ive used 30 ml = 1 oz.

However, I see this in http://store.baristatools.com/espresso-accessories.html where it says 3oz and 6.5 oz, respectively.

Which is correct? Any owners here who can make actual measurements when filling the cups to the brim and not as mentioned on the box?

Next question is, if I want a macchiato with a double shot of espresso, will that be 60 ml + 15 ml for the foam?

Sorry for this newbie questions.

Comment

Re: Confusion with Nuova Point cups

Congratulations on your first post, may there be many more.

There are 28.375 mls in an oz. So the 2 oz cup would be 56.75 mls, and the 5 oz cup would be 141.875 mls. I guess the question is were the cups made in metric or imperial? Most likely metric, Id say.

Comment

I just filled one of my Amalfi cappucino cups to the brim with water and it measured 175 mL... Hope thats of some use to you...

Comment

Thanks Viviane and Beanmeister.

With both your inputs, my guess is that the manufacturer added a bit of margin on the amount you can use on the cups. In the case of the espresso cups, I would say it would then fill-up to 80-85 mL.

Can any other members confirm this? Thanks.

So Beanmeister, hope you dont mind if I ask where you bought your cups?

Im in Auckland at the moment and the only one I can find here are ACF cups. Now their measurements are a bit confusing as well.

Comment

No problem dcaffeine8d - I got mine from a local seller on ebay... They sell both the espresso and cappucino cups...

Comment

Originally posted by Beanmeister link=1173005438/0#4 date=1173058728
                            No problem dcaffeine8d - I got mine from a local seller on ebay... They sell both the espresso and cappucino cups...
                            It seems were getting from the same source then. ;p

He just posted my amalfi cups but I want to get the sorrento cups as well. Only problem is that I want to make sure that it isnt small for macchiato with a double espresso base.

Comment

Where to buy ACF cups?

This has probably been asked by more than one person before, but.... is it possible to buy ACF cups here in Oz or does one have to source them OS?

Comment

Working...
                              X