Supermarket coffee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supermarket coffee

I was at my local Coles Supermarket today when I noticed a new supermarket coffee. I sat up and took notice when I saw that Justin Metcalf was the roaster/spokesperson.

The other thing that caught my attention was the pack included a roast date. Now that is a good thing, but unfortunately that roast date was Oct 20th 2006, with a use by date of Oct 20th 2007...

The asking price was $7.99 for 200g ie nearly $40/kg, thats pretty steep for old coffee  

I didnt buy any...

edit for date mistake

Re: Supermarket coffee

Did you mean use by 2007?

Comment

The only way to get fresh coffee is direct from the roaster.....

I use a roaster here for the emergency "20 people coming over for coffee tomorrow" requests, just when my home roast supplies are low. Their coffee is always really fresh but they are now supplying Supermarkets - with a best before date 6 months hence - and no roasted date to be seen (both at the request of the supermarket chain)....

There is one brand Ive found in a supermarket which is locally roasted- has a "roasted on" date - and is generally less than the 3 weeks old (the "life" of roasted beans)...

Even several of the better cafes - which also sell locally roasted beans - generally have supplies that are many months old - in fact the owners of one who attended the same commercial coffee machine course with me was really upset when told their stock of roasted beans should be discarded within a month if not sold..... they admitted having some almost 12 months old!!!

So if you want fresh coffee- the only place is from your local roaster direct (or roast your own - even better )

Comment

I saw these in coles last week too. I was impressed that there was a roast date but like you it was months old. I an never understand why locally roasted offee is so far from the shelves when its roasted. what does it do for 4 months before being sold in a supermarket?

Comment

Originally posted by muppet_man67 link=1173085905/0#3 date=1173091780
          I an never understand why locally roasted offee is so far from the shelves when its roasted. what does it do for 4 months before being sold in a supermarket?
          Either sitting in the warehouse somewhere waiting for distribution or in the reserve stocks at the back of the store waiting for the "old" stock on the shelves to be sold - would be my guess

Comment

Likewise I looked at some coffee beans in the stupid-market the other day from one of Australias best known celebrity chefs, beautifully presented they were in a clear plastic bag, all puffed up from the heat, and sweating like mad, and 14 months old!

And I thought to myself, jeez... if I turned up to work looking as old and tired as these beans theyd put me out to pasture!

P

Comment

JavaB said:
              So if you want fresh coffee- the only place is from your local roaster direct (or roast your own even better )
              I wasnt looking to buy any supermarket coffee. When I need coffee I tend to roast some of the 60 kgs of green Ive got with my 1kg roaster. I was however surprised to see such a highly respected coffee identity endorsing coffee that had virtually no chance of being used within an acceptable timeframe.

I guess Coles made him an offer he couldnt refuse.

Comment

I saw these in coles last week too. I was impressed that there was a roast date but like you it was months old. I an never understand why locally roasted offee is so far from the shelves when its roasted. what does it do for 4 months before being sold in a supermarket?

Well, from prior experience the supply chain is something like this:

1) Roaster can recieve an order which must be shipped immediately, therefore stock of 1 order must be held.

2) Roaster supplies a company who distributes to the supermarket, who also holds 1 order as stock.

3)supermarket carries stock in back and on shelf

if the supermarket orders every month, than you are looking at 2-3 months before it hits the shelf. It is unfortunate but just the way it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Pioneer Roaster link=1173085905/0#7 date=1173153360

Well, from prior experience the supply chain is something like this:

1) Roaster can recieve an order which must be shipped immediately, therefore stock of 1 order must be held.

2) Roaster supplies a company who distributes to the supermarket, who also holds 1 order as stock.

3)supermarket carries stock in back and on shelf

if the supermarket orders every month, than you are looking at 2-3 months before it hits the shelf. It is unfortunate but just the way it is.
                  The trend for the supermarkets these days is moving toward Just In Time supply. Especially when supplying the big 3 - Woolworths, Coles and IGA.

The end game for these guys is they dont want to be holding much out the back in the future.

This approach could work in favour of a product like coffee, but is a bit of a pain for things that really do have a longer shelf life. Soft drinks, frozen goods etc.

Still wont ever beat roasting your own or a good relationship with a roaster!

Comment

I bought some stale Diet Pepsi once.
                    The sweetener goes off.
                    Pepsi wernt too happy with the warehouse that was holding that stock for so long.
                    Ive since forgotten as I dont drink it any more but the Pepsi guys taught me how to read their secret codes on the boxes so Id know the manufactured date.

Long story short, the local rep came and picked up the bad stock and replaced it for me with a few cases of really fresh stuff.

Comment

Hey I worked for the manufacturers of Pepsi until recently and Ive already forgotten how to read the batch codes :-[ . Rule of thumb these days is it lasts for around a year. So look at the use by and work back.

Diet soft drinks are quite nasty when they pass their use by. The artificial sweetener really does make it rather orrible. And believe me, most of the stuff does not sit in the warehouse getting old. The stuff is made and often on a truck within 24 hours. Especially in Summer.

The supermarkets (mostly driven by Woolworths) have decided the best place to try and save squillions of money is the supply chain. Specifically getting the goods the last 50 meters. I think the stat they rolled out was something like.
                      50% of their distribution costs occur getting the goods the last 50 meters. So a range of things were being touted.

Holding less stock.
                      Suppliers to load into the supermarkets own roll cages so they come off the truck and can be rolled right to the aisle in question.
                      Packing the cage in reverse order to the required shelf stock and so on.

Fascinating stuff for a boring nerd like me!

Comment

When I packed shelves at night stock was manually rotated.
                        A bugger in the drinks aisle.

Comment

Originally posted by Thundergod link=1173085905/0#9 date=1173159773
                          I bought some stale Diet Pepsi once.
                          The sweetener goes off.
                          Pepsi wernt too happy with the warehouse that was holding that stock for so long.
                          Ive got some red wine in my wine rack from 1998....Should I call the winery and get them to replace it with some fresh wine?

Hehe...I couldnt resist! :P

Comment

1998 red wine IS fresh!

Couldnt resist either!

Comment

Originally posted by fatboy link=1173085905/0#13 date=1173168793
                              1998 red wine IS fresh!

Couldnt resist either!
                              Touche` ;D

Comment

Working...
                              X