knocking out our pucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• knocking out our pucks

Let me first say that I do not get the dry pucks I should be getting, rather I get a fairly moist puck that comes out in dribs and drabs as I knock away on my Sunbeam Bang Bang. (this would be largely to do with the Crema Enhancer Baskets that I am trying to replace with Non pressurised ones, but that is another post.)

My question: When knocking out your puck are you meant to bang the portafilter (coffee filter basket) directly onto the knock bar or do you knock the handle part of the portafilter onto the knock bar? I could only see by knocking the handle part would you get a full round puck being released from the basket. If you are hitting the coffee filled basket onto the knock bar the coffee would break up. Is this correct?

The reason I ask this is that if I knock the handle onto the bar to release the coffee puck, the whole basket flies out into the knock box as well. I have thought that it might be doing this because of my wet pucks but not 100% sure, so this is why I am asking.

Sorry about the long winded question and I have probably answered myself already in this post, but just need confirmation.
    phew I finally got it out. [smiley=tongue.gif]

Re: knocking out our pucks

I dont have a knock box as yet – I just bang it on the gap between my twin basin kitchen sink which works like the knock bar on a knock box. I bang the PF (i.e. the bit that holds the basket, not the handle) directly onto the steel gap between the sinks. This loosens the puck (sometimes it falls out onto the sink) and then empty the PF into my compost bin with a little shake of the wrist.

So to answer your question: I dont knock the handle part and still get the full round puck being released from the basket. My pucks dont break up. They come out nice and clean. A quick wipe and Im ready to go.

Hope that helps.

Comment

Hi Goodies - I used to own a little sunbeam that would have cost about the same as you Breville, so guestimate they are aboutthe same quality.

The claim they make re 15bar is phoney baloney in practical terms - didnt matter how I tamped, the puck was always damp at best or wet at worst. In the end, I used to just wash out the grounds and suggest you dont go banging your PF around - no matter what point you strike, its just not made to withstand that type of treatment.

Comment

Yep, you bang the basket on the bar, not the portafilter handle, and the puck falls out. Wet pucks are often caused by underdosing, too fine a grind or a non-existent or faulty 3 way valve.

Comment

I lost the basket a couple of times at that cafe I worked at for a few days.
          Dicovered theres no spring hold the basket in the PF.

However when I hit the bar at home I still get a full puck ejected if I hit on the edge of the basket.
          I assume the puck pivots on the bar as it rolls out.

Remember, the basket is a tad wider at the top so as the puck leaves one side of the basket there is room for it roll over the bar, which, being round, helps in this possibility.

Comment

Ordinarily, one tap of the basket on the bar, and the puck comes out cleanly.

However, the Rancilio single basket is not as accommodating. It requires more than one tap, and even then, sometimes only the centre seems to eject, leaving a huge ring around the upper part of the rim.

--Robusto

Comment

Hey the goodies,

Comment

Try again...
                Hey the goodies. I just sold my Breville 800es. i had it for two years and every last puck knocked out in a soggy mess, Even the best shots i made did this. I think its because the vertical baskett walls hold on hard to the puck which has retained moisture due to the presurized floor. I did not change my technique at all and on my new EM6910 every puck knock in one soild piece with one light tap.

Thanks
                SC

Comment

I am wondering if I will be able to get a full puck if I change from the crema enhancing baskets to the standard non pressurised ones? And if I change to these baskets will the breville be able to pull a better shot (allowing the grind and tamp is correct?)

Comment

Originally posted by The Goodies link=1174046211/0#8 date=1174107352
                    I am wondering if I will be able to get a full puck if I change from the crema enhancing baskets to the standard non pressurised ones? And if I change to these baskets will the breville be able to pull a better shot (allowing the grind and tamp is correct?)
                    No offense meant...suggest you save your $$ for an aquipment upgrade (2mcm - do you do layby?). I am presuming you are reasonably happy with the taste of your coffee - thats the important bit. If you havent already done so, take the opportunity to visit one of our sponsors in you city and try out the machines...when you upgrade youll go from about a 2.5 star to 4 star overnight. The remaining star is up to you!

Comment

Thats exactly what i was thinking, then i thought bugger it, i sold my 800es on ebay for $200 and got a bran new 6910 on ebay for 440- Thats only 240 to upgrade!!! there are heaps of people who were given 6910s as a free gift with a fujistsu thing.
                      These 6910s are turning up in Ebay new, un opened! I talked to sunbeam before i got mine to check the warranty, and they said no worries, they just go by the manufacture date on the bottom of the machine.

SC

Comment

Oh believe you me, now that I have a little bit more knowledge under my belt I would love to upgrade. Problem though is this was a Birthday Present given to me in January 2007 by my parents. If I upgrade this too soon, I am more or less saying, Your intentions are good, your present is crap, I will get something better as soon as I can.

I am only a novice at this and have only been on the real coffee scene for the last few months. It could have been worse and received something like a kettle with a can of Nescrape.

Comment

I can relate to that - my sunbeam thermo was a xmas gift from my beloved, and for what it cost, made pretty good coffee. I had been coveting the giotto for more than 12 months before I broached the subject...she is so cool though, I didnt have to worry...her view was life is short, we dont tend to splurge a lot, I had certainly got more value out of the sunbeam than either of us thought we would, and the giotto is soooo shiny

Comment

My friends parents knew he was looking a good grinder. So they brought him a "really good" chopper style coffee-spice processor for his birthday... he is far from stoked but is obliged to use it to keep on good terms with his folks... I smile and say "sucked in".

Comment

All he has to do is pull it out of the cupboard when they visit and hide his Macap.

Comment

Working...
                              X