Pullman tamper questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pullman tamper questions

Had a look at the site for Pullman tampers, but couldnt see the weight anywhere. So Greg, could you reveal the weight?

Now this is a whacky idea, but you gotta ask; if I wanted an unusual tamper, could I purchase a Pullman tamper base and possibly with an adapter, fit a car gear knob as a handle??? There are some nice aluminium or stainless ones around and that would at least make mine truely uniquie. - dont laugh, I am a very sensitive guy

What is the price of the Vanilla tamper base?

Re: Pullman tamper questions

I dont think youre the first to suggest the gearknob modification.

As for price, according to the website "Price: $AUD44.95 (plus postage and handling)."

Comment

Gday DollarBill,
      have a look at this thread, it relates to the very question youre asking about the gear knob mod.
      http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1162895139
      All the best.

Comment

Originally posted by DollarBill link=1177843818/0#0 date=1177843818
        Had a look at the site for Pullman tampers, but couldnt see the weight anywhere. So Greg, could you reveal the weight?
        Hey there Bill,

Welcome to CoffeeSnobs mate [smiley=thumbsup.gif]. Just weighed my custom made 58mm Tamper with a Chequerboard handle and it comes in at exactly 421grams. I guess different handle materials will alter the all-up weight slightly but probably only a couple of grams here or there. All the best,

Mal.

Comment

Hi Bill,

Yes Mals right on the money; theyre in the 400-440g ballpark but the weight of the entire unit will vary with the type of handle (huon pine is lighter than Jarrah, for example), and the base diameter (smaller base = less metal = less weight).

Greg

Comment

Is Jarrah the heaviest wood out of all the handles?

Comment

TG-you would have to reckon that its the most dense, and therefore the heaviest

Comment

Most Australian hardwoods are in the range of 800-900 Kg per cubic meter - with a fair variation caused by rate of growth etc...

So either the Red Gum or the Jarrah (either variety) could be the heaviest... but there wouldnt be a lot of difference.... Huon Pine would be the lightest.

Comment

422g - Tiger Stripe - 58mm flat.

Comment

Well, has anyone actually done it? Made an adapter to fit a gear knob to a Pullman base?

Comment

Greg, - what is the thread size of the post on the "vanilla" base?

Comment

Yeah they do vary around a fair bit. Jarrah and Red Gum are the heaviest, round 35-50g, then Checkerboard, Aust Oak and Huon Pine the lightest.

The Vanilla thread is a M5. However its not exactly the most ergonomic as its designed for mounting on a machine underside rather than hand operation.

Comment

I have finally ordered my tamper. Will be paying for it this week. Am getting really excited now. Even OG was impressed with the Tamper that he saw at SC last week.

Comment

So whens the new brain due?

Comment

Originally posted by nunu link=1177843818/0#13 date=1178159075
                              So whens the new brain due?

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D Not sure yet

Comment

Working...
                              X