Another new cafe in Perth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another new cafe in Perth

Well today, Bec and I visited yet another new cafe in Perth that is committed to top-quality coffee - things are really beginning to blossom, compared to a couple of years ago in Perth. Cafe 54 in Pier Street have just opened under new owners, and they are using a brand new Synesso machine, and a blend they have created from 5 Senses... As I recall, the blend contains 4 beans - Aust Capricorn, Yellow Bourbon, PNG, ummm... oh something else: Hey, three outta four aint bad!

Anyway, I tried a flat white and a ristretto, which is what I always do when I go to any cafe, for some reason. Well normally I order a flat white first, and if thats good, then I go for an espresso/ristretto. If they cant do a flat white well, they sure aint gonna do a good espresso. As it happened, at Cafe 54, I went for both - and I was most impressed with the flat white: It hit me immediately with an inviting aroma of honey - and as I drank it, the analogy of honey kept coming to me: smooth, sweet, with that distinctive fragrance. If any others try it, Id be interested to hear whether you agree.

Matt

Re: Another new cafe in Perth

Ahhhh so that is where Cafe 54 is - funny I should have remembered, I used to go there for breakfast when I worked in Hay street. Will have to drop by and try it.

Comment

Posted by: grendel Posted on: 08. May 2007 at 18:19
      Ahhhh so that is where Cafe 54 is - funny I should have remembered, I used to go there for breakfast when I worked in Hay street. Will have to drop by and try it.

Yeah well the east end of the city had a definite drought...... until now it seems, ive had the privilege of getting to know the new proprieters of 54, Dale and Jessie, and the pleasure of getting aquainted with their espresso. The 3 group Synesso Sabre is awesome and with my 6900 at home being out of action I gaze wistfully at my benchtop wondering if it would fit..... . Back on topic...... the Sabre paired with a Robur dominates the space and puts a smile on your face when you walk in.
      Admitting bias, im a huge fanboi for Austalian Capricorn, the inherent balance of the bean comes through in the blend; its like the blend was approached with the view to complement one of the most exciting SOs rather than a macro "this is what we want" approach. Did i mention balance? This espresso caresses the palate from the tip of the tongue to the tonsils, with no back palate harshness or teeth sucking acidity prevalent in too many commercial blends.
      After a double ristretto which had a some great cocoa/milk chocolate notes with a vanillan nose more like molasses to me than honey though i do know what you mean Matt. Next up i asked for a full 60ml double espresso to benchmark which produced more darker chocolate characteristics, more spice elements and some nice tart berry hints with a subtle complex bitterness. Very elegant, mellow finish....... id hate to work here i could drink these all day.
      Well nuff said but all the best to Dale and Jessie who are newlyweds, marriage and a cafe...some people are crazy .

Regards Boyd

Comment

try the new cafe in applecross called ditto espresso bar ... sleat road opposite maccas

Comment

Working...
        X