giancarlo coffee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• giancarlo coffee

Giancarlo coffee is a supposed premium blend from Grinders, does anyone have any information regarding it?
    thanks,
    Craig

Re: giancarlo coffee

grinders is owned by coke. thats all I know.

Comment

Originally posted by coastal coffee link=1179305959/0#0 date=1179305959
      Giancarlo coffee is a supposed premium blend from Grinders, does anyone have any information regarding it?
      thanks,
      Craig
      My understanding is that its high in Ethiopian and also has a fair swag of Robusta- but thats just speculation.

I am yet to try it, but my contacts who do know coffee have complained that the Giancarlo sites they have visited have not executed it very well in the cup....It remains an unknown....

Comment

I got to play around with a kg of it around the time that it was released. I dont know if that is the blend in its current form, but it was fresh. It was a relatively light roast level with a lot of peaberry in it - the kenyan peaberry seemed to be big at the time, so perhaps thats what it was. No matter what I did, it tasted very acidic. Sour, to be frank. Hopefully that was just an experimental batch and the recipe has since changed. However, adding a very acidic coffee to the grinders range would be a good way to make a new blend stand out and I suppose that that could be marketed as a premium characteristic. The bag looked fantastic - CCA really are very good at marketing and packaging.

Anyhoo, your best bet is to go and just try some!

Cheers,

Luca

Comment

the cafe i work at is using it. it is 100% Arabica i dont find very acidic at all and our customers are happy with it and we are very happy with it, it is sourced from plantations in Brazil coast a Rica and Ethiopia one thing i have found is pulling a doppio or ristretto is painfully because after about 3 seconds after the extraction is complete the crema become very air and bubble and is shocking for doing latte art but would have to be one of the best blends i have ever used great short macs

Comment

Thanks for your replies,i appreciate your comments I suppose i have got to get a hold of some and try it myself.
            Oh the pain of experimentation!!!

Thanks,
            Craig.

Comment

Are you planning on using this in a cafe, coastal coffee?

Why dont you source some coffee from some others as well? If you are not in a city and are relying on delivered coffee then I should imagine it wouldnt matter where you get your coffee from. We use a Sydney based roaster for our own shop supplies and with transport it usually arrives within two days of my placing the order. I have even had coffee from Melbourne that has arrived within three days and I am in northern NSW.

Personally, I run a mile from any Grinders coffee. Its far too commercial a roaster for my taste but then again so is the company we use for work. I like the smaller roasters as they tend to take a bit more care with their quality control.

But then again, as discussed elsewhere here, it all comes back to personal taste.

Comment

ever drink coke then coffee, they just dont go well together.

I agree, smaller roasters are the G O

Comment

My understanding is that Coca Cola plan on rolling out Giancarlo Coffee as its Food Service Blend. The main reasoning is to prevent previous owner of Grinders Giancarlo Guisti launching his own brand under his own name after his embargo from entering the coffee business finishes.

This is what Domenic Crivelli did when he sold Coffex Coffee a number of years ago and then re-entered the market with his own "Crivelli" brand.

Coca Cola then plan to use the "Grinders" Brand to launch in Supermarkets and try and take shelfspace off Vittoria Coffee.

Comment

its a bit sticky...to do with reps and mates ......
                    but

I am sick of average ,

that is why i am here!

learning, watching and moving on,
                    and thanks Metreo.
                    Craig.

Comment

coke has also recently bought Merlo, going for a monopoly i guess.

Where are you located coastal coffee? Maybe a site sponsor could help you out.

Remember, even if it was a family member as a rep, are they going to support your bussiness or do you need to rely on serving great coffee for customers to return?

Comment

Coke bought Merlo?? no way. Crazy sellouts.

Comment

Originally posted by jimmyb link=1179305959/0#11 date=1179467967
                          Coke bought Merlo?? no way. Crazy sellouts.
                          Yep- In addition, they have sniffed around at pretty much every company in Victoria....I believe that theyre not finished yet....

Comment

is this public news or do they like to keep these things low profile? I talked to one of the managers at merlo the other week and he was telling me all about how great the company is and hows its grown in the last few years. I cant believe they sold out.
                            Wonder how much they got

Comment

Originally posted by jimmyb link=1179305959/0#13 date=1179470957
                              is this public news or do they like to keep these things low profile? I talked to one of the managers at merlo the other week and he was telling me all about how great the company is and hows its grown in the last few years. I cant believe they sold out.
                              Wonder how much they got
                              No; I think that they try to keep it all relatively hush-hush so as to keep the value of the brand that they have bought.

I have heard various rumors and suspicions. One is that CCA is developing a pod machine. Makes a lot of sense; that way they could roll out the pod machines to places with their soft drinks. Easy way to upsell.

Wonder how long it will be until Merlo has a new "premium" blend ;P

Cheers,

Luca

Comment

Working...
                              X