Design HX machines to take mugs....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Design HX machines to take mugs....

It seems that most the home style Group 1 HX machines are all designed to take either the small espresso cups or the bowl type cappucinno cups. Aussies are renowned for having mugacinnos or mugs of flat white - I shouldnt have to either tilt a mug to the side on my Makin or make the coffeee in one cup and transfer it to a mug - in fact a real good mod for this machine would be a seperate drip tray that is much lower and would enable a mug to be placed on the machine upright. I can remove the tray and do it but I have to put a cloth under it as the drain often shoots a short spurt of water after the shot, which can run back under into the machine without some absorbent or a tray. Commercial machines are able to fit a mug under the portafilter and home machines should be designed to do the same. Id love a mod for this machine of a smaller and lower drip tray.

Re: Design HX machines to take mugs....

Originally posted by adamant link=1179891142/0#0 date=1179891142
    Commercial machines are able to fit a mug under the portafilter and home machines should be designed to do the same. Id love a mod for this machine of a smaller and lower drip tray.
    Nope, sorry commercial machines arent all designed to take a mug - only a few are.

All machines are designed for the shortest distance from the spout to the bottom of the cup to minimise cooling.... if the spout is too high you loose too much heat (and crema) on the way down.

My La Cimbali will only take normal espresso cups or cappuccino cups - everything else must be tilted.... and you cant remove the drip tray either. And most domestic machines are the same - the one great thing about the Solis SL90 I had - it had a reversible grid on the drip tray - one way for espresso the other for mugs - but that is VERY unusual.

Comment

OK, thats surprising since the morning flood of people coming from cafes are carrying large cups of coffee. Maybe its something designers should consider. I can understand that espresso drinkers are well catered for by a short drop reducing loss of heat and maximising crema but as for the flat white, cappucinno drinkers who predominantly fill the cups with hot milk and froth I cant see either loss of heat or crema being a big issue but rather a pain having to tilt mugs to accomodate them. I like the idea of reversible tray though would prefer to have 2 trays so both are catered for and to eliminate the need to empty the drip tray each time it is reversed.

Comment

You can always pull shots into a shot glass, and then pour it into the mug. Thats how its done with large chain/large cup places. The vast majority is milk, which is done outside of the machine.

You do need a bit bigger vessel if youre having quad shot capps, as theres no room for milk, so just have a quad shot macchiato instead.

Comment

Some commercial units are designed for tall cups to fit under the portafilter with a small shelf that can be flipped down for shorter cups.

Java "A nice feature to have" phile
          Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

something like this. these shelves are easily removed to fit a larger cup. the main problem is that you end up making the machine taller in order to have a setup like this. its fine in a cafe but most people want their home machines to be relatively compact.

Comment

Could you use a bottomless portafilter? I assume for a mug you are going to want at least two shots anyway. That would give you more clearance.

Comment

I have the bowl type cups.
                They hold just as much as my mugs (220ml).

Comment

Hi adamant,

I was interviewed for the coffeegeek podcast and one thing that we spent a bit of time discussing was drink sizes. Here the standard drink size is something like 7oz (210mL), whereas in the US and Canada a latte is 12oz (360mL). The interesting thing, though, is that, in both countries, as people get more and more demanding of their coffee they tend to go for smaller drinks.

Anyhoo, back to the problem at hand. The thing that I like about both Steve and TGs suggestions is that both of them will improve your coffee. A bottomless portafilter will allow you to see how the coffee is flowing and, so, to diagnose how good your dose/distribute/tamp technique is. The 12oz cups happen to be among the easiest things in the world to pour latte art into:

(That photo is from the blog of US latte art master Chris Deferio: click here)

With commercial machines, there is a tension between big takeaways and a massive drop for espresso. Some manufacturers have tried to use stands and things, which have problems holding two cups under a spout. La Marzocco manufactures high cup and low cup versions.

Cheers,

Luca

Comment

Yeah....saw that sliding tray today out in dispatch at Venez today.

Comment

Working...
                    X