Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie Question - please help re: cheap machines

Hi everyone

I am shortly moving out of home for the first time (yay!) and the one thing I will miss after my dog and cat will be my parents’ super duper, wonderful espresso machine.
    I’m moving into a uni college like situation and won’t have immediate access to a stovetop, so I can’t even take the trusty Bialetti Moka.
    Can anyone advise me where I would be able to find a good espresso machine for under $200 or alternatively a Bialetti Moka Easy (I’ve heard this is similar to the stovetop one) in Perth?
    Any thoughts or opinions about which would create a nicer, smoother coffee – a cheap machine or a Moka Easy?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Newbie Question - please help re: cheap machin

There has been of few of these questions as of late...Ill pull up a few posts for you....but for now consider buying a portable gas stove that runs of the gas cans.

Another option is getting an awesome grinder (buying a grinder depends on whether you wish to upgrade to espresso in the future) and french press.

Ill try dig up some posts you can read!

Comment

check out

"Good coffee at home on a uni budget" http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1178426252/9

Comment

Re: Newbie Question - please help cheap machines

Thanks for that! That thread was a very interesting read. I’m thinking that I should restrain my spending on a machine/Bialetti Moka Easy and instead save for a grinder, because sadly I don’t think I would be allowed to bring my own stove in. Maybe I could get a portable hotplate though?
        I just never realized how important a grinder was!

Comment

Shaboo,

Hi and welcome to CoffeeSnobs.

To me (not knowing what style of coffee you prefer) the answer is a grinder (which for plunger style coffee could be about $100... however not good enough for espresso later).... a plunger...... and an electric kettle.

The total would be less than the $200 budget.... and you would have great coffee straight away (as long as you like long blacks).

Enjoy your journey.

Comment

Adding milk creates a whole new dimension and opens up more nuances that are harder to detect without it!

Comment

I guess my coffee style would be mainly a strong caffe latte or long macchiato.  But I’m afraid I’m generally too short on time (okay, maybe just lazy) and I don’t bother frothing the milk – I just microwave it (I have a microwave) and then froth it with a teaspoon after adding a tsp of sugar. I’m afraid that my tastes aren’t nearly as sophisticated as most of the posters on here!

I dont know about a plunger though. Ive had plunger coffee before and didnt like it. Im going to miss the Moka Stovetop one

Comment

Maybe you werent brewing it properly.

Coffeegeek and Stumptown websites both have excellent french press guides!

Comment

Re: Newbie Question - please help cheap machin

Originally posted by Shaboo link=1180331575/0#6 date=1180335130
                  I dont know about a plunger though. Ive had plunger coffee before and didnt like it. Im going to miss the Moka Stovetop one
                  I suspect the plunger coffee you had was made from ultra-stale, supermarket bought, pre-ground coffee.... and that stuff tastes about as good as instant (at best) :P :P

But freshly ground fresh beans in a plunger...... totally different taste.

Many of us here use plunger coffee to taste the beans we have roasted.... and it tastes really good!!

Comment

Thanks for all your advice! okay, my tentative plan is:

one of these:
                    http://www.retravision.com.au/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductId=4990

and one of these to grind with:
                    http://www.retravision.com.au/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductId=5570

and one of these to froth with:
                    http://www.retravision.com.au/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductId=5567

are these really bad choices?

Comment

Originally posted by Wushoes link=1180331575/0#7 date=1180335805
                      Maybe you werent brewing it properly.

Coffeegeek and Stumptown websites both have excellent french press guides!
                      Alan Frew (an Aussie) also has very good guides for the various methods of preparation and I can attest to the quality of a Plunger coffee (done right ) as I have been consuming nothing but for several months now while I complete the restoration to my Bezzera.... Alan is NOT a sponsor of CoffeeSnobs by the way but he does have a lot of very useful and practical information none-the-less.

Freshly roasted coffee, freshly ground immediately before brewing are the most important criteria no matter what method of brewing you employ shaboo. All the best and Welcome to CoffeeSnobs by the way

Mal.

Comment

...Plunger coffee (done right ) as I have been consuming nothing but for several months...

Mal.

Wow Mal...does that qualify you as a Plungista? I bet that first pour from the Bezzera will be sweet!

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis link=1180331575/0#11 date=1180343821
                          Wow Mal...does that qualify you as a Plungista? I bet that first pour from the Bezzera will be sweet!
                          LOL ;D Dennis,

Im not sure about that, could have other connotations that come under the heading of "Too much information" :. And youre spot on with the Bezz, cant wait to get her finished and pull those first few sweet shots..... Will be absolute bliss 8-)

Mal.

Comment

Hi Shaboo,

You really do need a burr grinder and not a blade grinder. Blade grinder create an uneven particle size distribution ... the dust that you get overextracts and contributes markedly to bitterness. Plus its hard to regulate the particle size to what you need. The minimum acceptable sunbeam grinder would be the em0450 (or at least I think thats what its called).

Temperature management with a moka pot requires a bit of finesse. The stumptown brewing guide outlines it all quite well, as will ours once our new webpage is up and running. Im not sure how an electric moka pot would be in this regard ...

If youre in Melbourne, please feel free to swing by First Pour this Saturday at the beanbay pick up and Ill treat you to some French Press coffee. If I have the portable stove around I might just run some moka pots as well. Us uni students have to stick together

Cheers,

Luca

PS. If youd like a copy of our FP and Moka Pot/Caffettiera brewing guides before our new webpage is up and running, just PM me your email address or ask me in First Pour.

Comment

Luca,

Shaboo is located in Perth (in first post)...

Dont think hell/shell be dropping by any time soon.

Yep, the grinder you suggested Shaboo wont be good enough.... Sorry.

Comment

Working...
                              X