When is the optimal time for roasted beans to be b

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When is the optimal time for roasted beans to be b

In my first thread, Ive been informed that the beans Im currently using are probably stale so Im now looking for freshly roasted beans. Im not at the level of roasting my own yet so I will be depending on suggested roasters, sponsors etc.. Now, its been mentioned to me that I should be grinding roasted beans from a day after they are roasted to 3 weeks before they go stale. Another source Ive spoken to tells me that it is best for the freshly roasted beans to "rest" for 7-9 days before grinding them to brew.
    Which one is correct? Grind and brew the day after it gets roasted or 7-9 days after? And if its 7-9 days, doesnt that mean that the roasted beans really only have a shelf life of 2 weeks?

Re: When is the optimal time for roasted beans to

NewToEspresso...

OK Ill add to the confusion...... for most beans start using then 48-72 hours post roast..... and the flavour will most likely improve a bit as they age and peak and then will fall again.

Some bean varieties - Monsoon Malibar is definitely one - are best left to rest at least 7 days before use..... It all depends on the variety.... and to some extent the degree of roast.... lightly roasted beans need a day or two more before they develop a reasonable taste....

I dont use any beans less than 3 days post roast myself.... and with some varieties its 7 or 8 days....

And yep, after 3 weeks post roast they are stale (or rapidly becoming stale).... so you generally have 2 to 2.5 weeks in which to consume the beans.

Comment

Actually that clears things up a little. The person who told me that 7-9 days is best is a roaster himself (a site sponsor whom I will not name) and he sends them out with that timeframe in mind.
      When the general peak time for them?

Comment

Each roast is different.
        Commercial roasters often blend with timings in mind.
        If they have told you 7-9 days, then the odds are, that is optimum for that blend.

I purchased some green bean blends over the last few months and found 1 in particular needed around 10-12 days to hit its peak.

Some beans/blends need even longer.

So, its hard to put an EXACT date on things, but follow some of the suggestions and youll most likely end up with better tasting coffee than you have had before.

THEN... when you are well and truly hooked, youll start to make your own decisions on what is optimum for the various beans you try.

Its all good fun.

Comment

Originally posted by fatboy link=1180592002/0#3 date=1180593610
          Each roast is different.
          Commercial roasters often blend with timings in mind.
          If they have told you 7-9 days, then the odds are, that is optimum for that blend.

I purchased some green bean blends over the last few months and found 1 in particular needed around 10-12 days to hit its peak.

Some beans/blends need even longer.

So, its hard to put an EXACT date on things, but follow some of the suggestions and youll most likely end up with better tasting coffee than you have had before.

THEN... when you are well and truly hooked, youll start to make your own decisions on what is optimum for the various beans you try.

Its all good fun.
          If you were Greek you could almost do it..."cuppla days"

Comment

Roasted beans go through a degassing process from the time they come out of the roaster. The speed of the degassing process depends on the nature of the roast. From day 0 the beans start to get better, they generally peak around the 7 day mark(give or take), and then they start to lose flavour. You cannot drink them on the peak second, its impossible. Some beans taste fine straight out of the roaster, others 6 weeks from roasting, it depends on the beans, the packaging, and the drinker. The important thing is that if you get the beans within days of roasting, you can make the choice for yourself. You will find that as you become used to drinking fresh coffee you will start to taste the staleness of old beans. You palate will notice it, even if it didnt before. Like I said, get them fresh and decide the rest for yourself.

Comment

The first packet of freshly roasted beans I bought, I found peaked around day 7 on.
              I still buy the same blend and now dont open it until day 7.
              Ive also tried it again from day 2 on just to make sure that Im right about day 7 being where it reaches its best.

Comment

Funny thing about monsooned beans. I would let the Malabar rest for a fair amount of time before even trying it. I tried some of the Monsooned Peaberry within 24 hours of roasting and it was incredible. You never really know until you try.

Comment

When I started roasting I would wait 48 hours. Now I aim for 4-5 days and get to know the individual beans because as has been said some get better after 8-9 days.

If you have a favourite bean why dont you experiment with it and try it over varying lengths of time to see how the taste improves or lessens.

It normally takes me 4 days to drink my roasts which means if I start at day 4 I reckon they are reaching their peak at 7-8.

Comment

brewing method seems to also be a determining factor. Ie plunger can be drunk a bit fresher then espresso.

Comment

Working...
                    X