is there a better double filter basket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is there a better double filter basket

is there a better double filter basket than the standard one that came with the silvia
    i read about ones that are straight down right to the screen and how thet will compress the coffe evenly as opposed to baskets that taper in at the bottom
    the theory seems sound to me and so i am asking for opinions/views please (i recon i am gonna get one anyway now the seed has been sown) which brand will fit a silvia are there any available from coffee parts dot au
    cheers brian

Re: is there a better double filter basket

Gday Brian,

Yeah there are a few bigger baskets that will fit a Rancillio portafilter. I have a Marzocco (LM) double (700757?? - dunno got mine through Greg Pullman ) that can be bought from coffeeparts. I use it for my doubles at home (ie in one cup) and they produce a better shot in my opinion, or maybe I just like a stronger coffee. 8-)

http://www.coffeeparts.com/mar/mar1.html

There was a good thread around a few months ago about filter baskets and which ones fitted what, Ill see if I can find it. Otherwise give coffeeparts a call and Im sure they will be able to help.

Cheers,

Matt

Edit: Heres the link to the thread...

http://www.coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1169781510/

Comment

Originally posted by brianleon link=1180665169/0#0 date=1180665169
      is there a better double filter basket than the standard one that came with the silvia
      i read about ones that are straight down right to the screen and how thet will compress the coffe evenly as opposed to baskets that taper in at the bottom
      the theory seems sound to me and so i am asking for opinions/views please (i recon i am gonna get one anyway now the seed has been sown) which brand will fit a silvia are there any available from coffee parts dot au
         cheers   brian
      Hi Brian.

The baskets that you mention sound more like triple baskets. As Matt said, a lot of people use the LM 18g basket (which I suppose does have a fairly straight side). The annoying thing about the LM basket is the ridge that runs around the side of the basket. Coffee always remains in the ridge after the puck is knocked out. Nothing too serious I suppose, just annoying.

I also have a 14g Wega basket that Hazel lent me and I like using it in the naked pf for pouring singles. It does taper in at the bottom though but there is no ridge for used coffee to get stuck in and the puck comes away clean as a whistle. It also has nice fine holes..

Comment

The following photo shows some of the baskets in my collection:

The leftmost is a triple basket, the middle is the LM basket and the right is the basket that I use the most. It is variously referred to as the Synesso basket, the Ascaso basket, the La Marzocco Ridgeless double and probably has another million names. The double basket that came with my Makin Espresso is quite similar to the Ascaso basket, but perhaps curves in a little bit more at the end.

The doubles will all fit the silvia basket, but the triple wont really.

The LM double and the Ascaso basket both make great coffee, but the LM basket always has crud stuck around the ridge after knocking it out, whereas the Ascaso mostly knocks out perfectly clean (unless youre dosing down, in which case the puck will often fracture regardless of basket). Unfortunately, I havent really been able to track down the Ascaso double in Australia.

The triple basket basically means that if you extract 50mL, youre getting a double ristretto instead of an espresso, delaying the onset of blonding. This makes it more forgiving for a silvia, but less complex.

Hope that helps,

Luca

Comment

Brianleon,

"It is variously referred to as the Synesso basket, the Ascaso basket, the La Marzocco Ridgeless double and probably has another million names."

Good news, you can get this basket direct from a coffee snobs site sponsor. ...BARAZI BEZZERA COFFEE MACHINES.

I bought a couple and then sent them to Greg Pullman to have a custom tamper fitted.

The part number for the baskets [from BARAZI] is 5471009.

As Luca mentions it is a double ridgeless basket [14g]
          Compared to the basket that comes with Silvia [which holds a approx 12g] it will produce fuller shots and is much easier to use.
          Especially when paired with a PULLMAN TAMPER.

I prefer these straight walled baskets as I find them easier to dose and tamp, plus the puck knocks out very nicely.

As they are ridgeless, you may find you need to use a more heavy duty spring in your portafilter to hold it in place. Perhaps BEZERRA can also supply these, but Im pretty sure that another sponsor COFFEE PARTS can.

I recommend the heavier duty spring, when I knock out, the basket stays in the PF.

Comment

thanks all that is all the info i need i will buy one and hope to get better shots ---no matter how good i grind i get blonding sooner rather than later--if i grind finer then i think i have only poured one shot this week that was real slow without clogging up the grouphead-- still not many are so bad as to end up down the sink
            its grind tamp pour and drink for me not a snob yet i suppose
            cheers brian

Comment

Yeah Reubster beat me to it, but the basket on the R/H side of Lucas photo is a dead ringer for the Bezzera Double and for the few times Ive used it prior to stripping the machine down, it was an absolute piece of cake to use.... Pucks almost drop out into the knock-box leaving the inside of the basket so clean its hardly necessary to wipe it out.... I still do though

Highly recommended [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Mal.

Comment

Working...
              X