What is a long black ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is a long black ?

Please excuse my ignorance , but how do you make a long black ? When someone asks for one I sulk off to my machine , pull an exquisite shot of espresso and then ruin it by diluting it with hot water . Is this the way to do it or am I missing something .
    Brendan

Re: What is a long black ?

little bit of hot water in the cup first

then pull the double espresso in to the cup...the crema holds nicely, but you must serve immediately just like an espresso otherwise the crema will die.

Tulip cups are perfect for long blacks....the smaller diameter of the cup allows the crema to hold more easily as opposed to having to stretch over a larger diameter of another cup

Comment

hmmm prefer a long black from a plunger then from an espresso. try it you may blow them away.

Comment

long black is an espresso coffee...plunger...is well...plunger coffee.

Comment

just wondering, would hot water (near boiling temp) scald the coffee?

Comment

It depends how you serve it Dailybean.

If; like the original poster, you pour your hot water over the top of the espresso shot, you will both destroy the crema and burn the coffee. However, if put the hot water in the cup and pour the double shot of espresso over the top of the water (boiling is fine) then it will be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Wushoes link=1181983005/0#3 date=1181984898
              and plunger coffee is both long and black. My hypothesis. If you are an espresso long black drinker, you will probably also love a plunger brew. IMHO I doubt there would be many people who drink long blacks out, who would invest in an espresso machine to do the same thing. They would probably be very content with a plunger.

Comment

okay but still is not a technical "long black"...sure its a black coffee...but is not made from espresso.

Comment

Originally posted by dailybean link=1181983005/0#4 date=1181986440
                  just wondering, would hot water (near boiling temp) scald the coffee?
                  fill the cup before grinding, dosing, tamping and it will cool off a bit or add a dash of cold water.

Comment

Originally posted by muppet_man67 link=1181983005/0#6 date=1181988110
                    Originally posted by Wushoes link=1181983005/0#3 date=1181984898
                    and plunger coffee is both long and black. My hypothesis. If you are an espresso long black drinker, you will probably also love a plunger brew. IMHO I doubt there would be many people who drink long blacks out, who would invest in an espresso machine to do the same thing. They would probably be very content with a plunger.
                    maybe... you never know. i started out content with plunger... but look where i am now

taste wise id think a long black would be different to plunger brewed coffee. brewing method is different and i think that the plunger method pulls different characteristics (sometimes slight) from coffee grounds. like wushoes said, plunger is not made from espresso...

Comment

Originally posted by Wushoes link=1181983005/0#7 date=1181988445
                      okay but still is not a technical "long black"...sure its a black coffee...but is not made from espresso.
                      point taken I wont name plunger as long black. Just curious though Wushoes if your in the mood for a coffee that is both Long and black which do you prefer?

Comment

Also, it just occured to me. If youre pouring the water on top of the espresso shot (and of course, not a double shot) isnt that just an americano?

Comment

americano, lungo, long black...theyre all the same arent they?

double shot on top of water

Comment

Long black = double shot on top of water
                            Americano = water on top of single shot (I think?)
                            Lungo = a single shot on water, but with modified machine settings so that the extraction takes closer to one minute. (Again, I think?)

Again, Im not completely sure about the second two, but I know that they arent the same.

Comment

Long Black.

Best served in tulip cup as suggested by Wushoes.

Preheat cup, Fill 2/3 full with hot water from hot water spout of machine, pull double espresso on top then serve as quickly as humanly possible before the crema dies.

Dont use boiling water for the hot water. It destroys the coffee.

Comment

Working...
                              X