Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question for  baristas and others about lay

Good morning all

I have a work collegue who stayed in Manly last weekend. She had a latte that seemed to have been layered.
    It was milk at the bottom, then you could see the shot of espresso, then another layer of milk with the froth on top of that.

Any ideas how to produce such a drink?

Thanks for your help.

Re: A question for  baristas and others about lay

Brew your shot into a small jug or glass that you can pour from. Steam your milk, pour it into the serving glass, then hold a spoon close to the top of the foam, resting against the side of the glass. Slowly and carefully pour the espresso over the spoon so it slips under the foam. Takes a bit of practice, but once youve got the hang of it it isnt too hard.

Comment

Originally posted by Shannon link=1184287172/0#0 date=1184287172
      Good morning all

I have a work collegue who stayed in Manly last weekend. She had a latte that seemed to have been layered.
      It was milk at the bottom, then you could see the shot of espresso, then another layer of milk with the froth on top of that.

Any ideas how to produce such a drink?

Thanks for your help.
      Isnt that an italian style latte macchiato? I read somewhere (cant recall where) that it was done by heating up milk on a stove and then whizzing it with a little electric whizzer to create a foam on top of the milk. The espresso is done in a moka pot as well and then when ready the espresso is poured into the milk. The milk sits on the bottom, espresso in the middle and the foam on top...

Personally, I dont know about the whizzing bit... Id much rather steam the milk...

Comment

Originally posted by NewToEspresso link=1184287172/0#2 date=1184292208
        Isnt that an italian style latte macchiato? I read somewhere (cant recall where) that it was done by heating up milk on a stove and then whizzing it with a little electric whizzer to create a foam on top of the milk. The espresso is done in a moka pot as well and then when ready the espresso is poured into the milk. The milk sits on the bottom, espresso in the middle and the foam on top...
        This is exactly what I have every morning for breakfast
        Didnt realise it was something the Italians did...I just thought of it as my version of a cappachino using a whizzer and a Moka pot ~ I make it as 1/3,1/3,1/3 in a Duralex Picardie glass, as the visual is so good.

My process goes like this:

Put moka pot on med/low heat
        Fill glass a bit under 1/2 of milk
        When moka just starts to produce coffee, reduce to low heat
        Microwave milk (PhysiCal No Fat) for ~ 40 sec
        Remove moka from heat before blonding
        Whiz milk for correct amount of froth (this milk creates very nice foam)
        Sprinkle of cocoa powder
        Pour/slide moka brew down side of glass
        Sprinkle/add sugar to taste

Heaven...

Comment

Re: A question for  baristas and others about

Originally posted by mylesau link=1184287172/0#3 date=1184300079
          Originally posted by NewToEspresso link=1184287172/0#2 date=1184292208
          This is exactly what I have every morning for breakfast
          Didnt realise it was something the Italians did...I just thought of it as my version of a cappachino using a whizzer and a Moka pot ~ I make it as 1/3,1/3,1/3 in a Duralex Picardie glass, as the visual is so good.

My process goes like this:

Put moka pot on med/low heat
          Fill glass a bit under 1/2 of milk
          When moka just starts to produce coffee, reduce to low heat
          Microwave milk (PhysiCal No Fat) for ~ 40 sec
          Remove moka from heat before blonding
          Whiz milk for correct amount of froth (this milk creates very nice foam)
          Sprinkle of cocoa powder
          Pour/slide moka brew down side of glass
          Sprinkle/add sugar to taste

Heaven...
          First off - this is NOT an italian style latte macchiato. Its either a cafe latte or a macchiato...not both together Please dont upset my Italian heritage :P

IMHO what you really have here is not good coffee, its something you got used to. You could improve it by melting a mars bar in it :

Comment

Espresso Snob ;D

Comment

I just think its a bad coffee. I have customers telling me about there great layed coffee and i tell them i dont make that crap. They laugh at me and i smile. Split milk vs old milk vs froth vs espresso just doesnt work for me. Drinking coffee is about the texture of the espresso and the milk which gives it a complete balance of favours. Layers just add different flavours with no advantage to the taste.

Comment

I must admit Ive never heard of a latte macchiato.

--Robusto

Comment

Hi all and thanks for getting back to me

Originally posted by Viviane link=1184287172/0#1 date=1184291005
                  Brew your shot into a small jug or glass that you can pour from.  Steam your milk, pour it into the serving glass, then hold a spoon close to the top of the foam, resting against the side of the glass.  Slowly and carefully pour the espresso over the spoon so it slips under the foam.  Takes a bit of practice, but once youve got the hang of it it isnt too hard.
                  Viviane, that is how I would have done it also, but the thing that threw me - and I even clarified it with my work friend - was that she said Milk in the bottom, shot, then more milk, then foam.

From what you were saying the way you do it might show as - milk, shot, foam?

Or is it that what my friend was seeing was some of the foam turned back to milk and that gave the impression of milk then foam on top??

To the others who do not really dig the layering, I was just wondering - in my newbie fashion - if the latte was presented in this way, but then before it was drunk it was stirred to allow combination would this work the same as a straight up non layered latte, or is it the way it is originally poured that gives the full flavour experience?

Thoughts?

Shannon.

Comment

Ice Cream?

It sits heavy on the bottom...maybe something like an Affagato?

Comment

Not my best effort but something to see:

No Mars Bars or Espresso machines were harmed in making of these images...

As Shannon suggests, I eat the foam, mix the bottom layers and enjoy the coffee - to my palete, it is a nice coffee, and a nice way to have it...

[How about calling it a Mokawhizccino?  :P]

Comment

Heres a layered coffee I did on the day i did my coffee course.

From memory, the bottom layer is chocolate sauce, followed by milk, then coffee then foam and finally some chocolate sauce art on top.

It was the best one in class on the day; even the instructor couldnt do one as good.

Comment

That one is too good to drink TG!

Well done [smiley=tekst-toppie.gif]

Comment

Re: A question for  baristas and others about

Shannon: I absolutely love your avatar...she is one hell of a cutey (I have 4 kids who are wonderful, but have all grown up). Enjoy her!

Take Vivianes word for it - she deosnt make comments unless she knows what she is talking about.

To my thinking, coffee will taste different if added to milk rather than milk added to coffee. A nicely poured latte will put on a show of its own - "the guinness effect".

mylesau: you got that right! And Mokawhizccino is a good name for it!

Robusto: thank goodness you havent heard of it!

TG: You know what I love about you? Its your humility. Its almost in direct proportion to my ego (almost). :P : ;D

Comment

Great work TG -- no wonder it shot you to top of the class. If it tasted half as good as it looks it would have been fantastic.

--Robusto

Comment

Working...
                              X