The price of large coffees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The price of large coffees

Does anyone else object to paying extra for a large coffee in a coffee shop while still only getting a single 30ml shot of espresso, and then having to pay extra on top again for additional shots?.

I experienced this in Zaraffas the other week when I asked for a large flat white and asked how many shots of coffee they put in it. I was amazed when they said they only put 1 in, considering the size of their largest coffee is probably around 500ml. Personally, I would want at least 3 or even 4 shots in a cup this size, but at 50c a shot extra on top, the cost was getting ridiculous.

I sent off an e-mail to Zaraffas asking why they charge extra for large coffees but don’t add any extra coffee and got the following response.

"all Zarraffas Coffee stores serve the hot drinks with one shot of coffee in the short, tall, grande sizes, this is so that the customer can add ½ or full shot, double or triple shot to there desired drink thus “Striving to make an individual perfect cup of coffee every time”.

I think I’ll be sticking to my local small coffee shop in future which happily gives you an extra shot without charging for it.

Re: The price of large coffees

eww...I reckon have one small (ie standard 150-200ml) really good one rather than a yankee influenced supersized bucket of grey swill. Supersizing leads to supersized waistlines as well!

Nevertheless, a 300ml drink (typical large) should have 2 shots in it and charging for the second is an absolute cop out....I think beyond 300ml, all you can expect is mediocrity.

Comment

Im with 2mcm. Its hard enough getting a decent standard size coffee let alone one of these milkshake-sized, boiled milks. I drink coffee for the flavour - if Im thirsty, I drink water!

Comment

Ill get a large when I have faith in the person making it - but it really is ... a big ask of some baristas <groan>.

I never go for a non standard size unless the person making it has got points on the board already.

Comment

Personally I cant understand why anyone would want a coffee in a paper cup!!!

The local Zarraffas up the street always has a line of people waiting to be served............they must have plenty of money for what they are buying; I always thought warm milk was for babies !

Comment

I normally avoid the large ones as well but I was being dragged to the cinema so I needed a long fix.

In theory, with the correct amount of coffee and a correctly trained barista, one of these jumbo sized coffees should be as good as a normal sized coffee. Mind you, how many decent baristas would you find working on Sunday afternoons in big chain coffee shops.

Anyway, my gripe was with the extra charges. The whole issue of taste is another matter. Talking of taste, my machines been on now for 45 mins so I feel a double espresso coming on.

Comment

I give many of my regulars a double shot and some even 4 ristretto into a small (8oz) takeaway.
              All my large (12oz) get a double shot or 2 doubles...all at no extra charge.
              But im not your standard cafe owner, the snob within can be too dominant...not the best for running a business but I appreciate customers who appreciate good coffee.

tastes better in a smaller cup, usually means its made with a smaller jug and the milk seems to taste better that way ive found.

then again, been to some places that only use 1.5litre jugs for all sizes...they just top up the jug after each coffee... :

Comment

I had a large one today from the good Baristas at Naked Coffee in Brissy. Its a bit of a walk from my office so I make the most of it

Gar can understand what you mean how can they make a large on a single shot!!! Typical crap chain stores...

Sue

Comment

I prefer a double shot in a regular size.
                  I can then compare all establishments against my benchmark.

I made the mistake once recently of being distracted by someone I was talking to instead of watching the girl behind the machine.

My double shot ended up being two illy pod shots in a large cup. <shudder>

BTW Zaraffas reply is a load of codswallop if they dont advertise the fact in store.
                  Whod knowingly buy a grande with one shot?
                  I wouldnt mind paying extra for a larger cup, after all theres more milk, but at the same time Id expect the coffee ratio to be the same.
                  i.e. a cup twice as big, should have twice as much coffee as in the smaller cup.

Comment

Most cafes battle to make a decent regular size capucino or latte, they usually resemble a cup of hot milk with some chocolate sprinkled on top.
                    So a large size would only be extra milky at a premium price. Stay away from those horrible Yankee inspired brews.

Comment

I wish more baristas were like takeaim. Ive ordered short blacks before where the barista uses a double basket. There arent any other orders for coffee at the time and they just let the second spout pour away into the drip tray. Its a waste of some pretty good coffee.

Comment

I went for a coffee this afternoon and was pleased to see that my loyalty card was up to the free one.
                        The barista gave me my card back, I still got my coffee and Ill get the free one off the card next time.

Mind you hes waiting on a sample of my home roast later on this week.

Comment

As a matter of course at my work we serve one shot in an 8oz, 2 shots in a 12oz and 3 shots in a 16oz - and were happy to offer an extra shot at no extra charge!

Thats the way it should be - not pussy-footing around with half-arsed answers!

Pat

Comment

Originally posted by askthecoffeeguy link=1186466377/0#12 date=1186494706
                            As a matter of course at my work we serve one shot in an 8oz, 2 shots in a 12oz and 3 shots in a 16oz - and were happy to offer an extra shot at no extra charge!

Thats the way it should be - not pussy-footing around with half-arsed answers!

Pat
                            Great answer

Comment

At Cibo rundle street they give you the extra shots relevant to size gratis, but if you want an extra shot on top of that - youve still got to pay for it, and yes I have also seen that extra coffee go down the drain too - I cringe inwardly everythime I see it.

Comment

Working...
                              X