Pouch Coffee Bags

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pouch Coffee Bags

Is there anywhere in Brisbane that you can buy the one way valve pouches?
    I cant find anywhere on the net that sells them with reasonable postage costs.
    Many thanks.

Re: Pouch Coffee Bags

Zip lock or no zip lock?

Comment

dippy have you tried coffee parts - site sponsor on the left? Reasonably priced and very quick dispatch!

Comment

I would like the zip lock ones Wushoes. Thanks 4 replying.

I had a look Dennis but I thought the shipping was pretty high as I only want a few. But then, I have looked at a few sites and I may be getting that site mixed up with another. I will look again, thank you.

Comment

Which bags are best pros/cons please explain.
          cheers poddy66

Comment

Originally posted by poddy66 link=1186904699/0#4 date=1186912479
            Which bags are best pros/cons please explain.
            cheers poddy66
            Zip lock keep out air Poddy and the one way valve allows them to release gases without introducing new ones into the bag. A totally black bag also keeps light out - light also damages the little fellas

Comment

Ordinary Glad zip lock bags without a valve do me. I just prick a tiny hole in it to expell the CO2.

-Robusto

Comment

Just a quick question... Wouldnt priking a tiny hole in it also allow gas in? I thought water (vapor too), oxygen and light were the coffee enemy!

I keep my beans in an opaque vac container. My local roaster sells the vac bags your talking about, so maybe your local is the best bet then youll have no freight at all

Comment

Thanks NE14COFFEE, I will have to start looking for a place in Brissie. Any suggestions, anyone, please?

Comment

coffeeparts.com.au (sponsor) sells some great ziplock valved bags

Comment

A little sideways from the original topic but...

Ive been using the humble glass jar for storing roasted beans, flushed with CO2 from a Soda Stream.

After initial venting ~ 1 - 2 hours post roast, I flush with CO2 from low down in the jar, hopefully expelling most of the air and immediately cap.  They build up considerable pressure over time (easily seen by the lid swelling).  Stored in a cupboard out of the light.

Its hard to quantify the results but my impressions are that the beans keep fresher longer...

I do roasts in 200 gram batch sizes which fit nicely into a 500g glass jar.

Comment

I roast 250g for the week and put in a Coffee Parts valved bag.

Sullo dippy1 said the postage was high.

dippy1 that depends on how many you get.
                        Buying more would reduce the cost per bag.

Comment

sorry tg I missed that part, but one thing about postage they change it when you order on web from whatever it is to something less, depends on how many.

Comment

I know of one in Brisbane but the website says minimum order 100.

I seem to remember someone else saying Pedro will charge less postage for smaller items.
                            Maybe dippy1 could email him to get a quote.

Comment

i used to use the "normal" zip lock bags too...as long as the freshly roasted beans "gas" there will be over-pressure in the bag.
                              if the tiny pinprick hole is small enough, the escaping gas will keep the the oxygen out.
                              however, it needs constant monitoring to ensure the bag is still "puffed up". :-/

Dippy1, FWIW, my suggestion is to buy  black, valved bags ( for instance: 10 @250gm + 10@500gm + maybe 10@1000gm)   in one purchase batch from Coffee Parts.

i find i rotate bags regularly: some are sitting in the pantry filled with fresh roasts & busily resting, some are filled  with beans i am using or blending with at the moment, and some bags are drying after they have been washed out with metho followed by warm/hot water.
                              with roast-resting times of about 5-8 days, i have around 9 bags (250s and 500s) "in rotation"  at any given time, and 3 or 4 drying .
                              20 bags only just allows me a few spares!!

i use small paper self-stick labels on them, makes it easier to track roasting dates: they come off  easily in warm water
                              and, the bags will eventually wear out...always handy to have a spare or two!! 8-)

if you buy them from Coffee Parts i think that the postage is going to be less than fuel for the running around Brissy...

cheers,

L

Comment

Working...
                              X