Scott Callaghan Dosing Tools FTW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scott Callaghan Dosing Tools FTW

I grabbed the standard set of these a couple weeks ago from Di Bartoli.

The idea appealed to me as an engineer. For some particular grind, if we fill the basket consistently and knock the grinds down consistently, we can use the tools to remove excess coffee and we know that there is precisely the same amount of coffee in the basket every time. Sounds good! Now we can try some grind-tool combo to see what works and what we like.

Now, I have always been able to get good pours from my double basket. I have never been able to get anything from my single. I always level off flat with the basket and this is too much coffee. Never worked right. No idea on how to get a consistent reference since the only good one didnt work. So I dialled in tool-less on my double basket. And started experimenting with different tools on my single basket. 4 tries later, great pours from a single basket!

Yay!

Re: Scott Callaghan Dosing Tools FTW

I have always set my grinder at work for a double handle...and for singles I scoop out heaps...probably a #26 to #28 scoop depending on the grind setting on the grinder. I used to do this with my fingers...digging out coffee from the single basket...I still do when I cant find the right number scoop to use.

Glad you liked your purchase.

Comment

This sounds interesting, anyone know where in melb i can buy a set of this tool?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by cafe zeenuts link=1191679696/0#2 date=1191697267
        This sounds interesting, anyone know where in melb i can buy a set of this tool?

Thanks.
        hi zeenuts - the world is shrinking....postage is a wonderful thing. Im sure di bartolis could arrange to send them down for you.

Comment

ok thanks ill give them a call.

Comment

Originally posted by cafe zeenuts link=1191679696/0#4 date=1191736006
            ok thanks ill give them a call.
            or send them a pm or email

Comment

What are these tools pse? Any web site describing them; pictures? Price? Im not in Sydney so I can not go have a look.

Comment

Originally posted by tojo1 link=1191679696/0#6 date=1191811418
                What are these tools pse? Any web site describing them; pictures? Price? Im not in Sydney so I can not go have a look.
                Well, each tool has a number. The first one is 1. It is a little plastic rectangle. The length of about a pack of Wrigleys Extra gum, but half the width. The next one 2, has a very slight curve on one side. 3 is slightly more curved than 2 etc ... until you get to 30 which has a very pronounced curve (in the standard set, some guys have more).

So the bigger the curve, the more it sticks into your basket when you sweep over it. Therefore the more coffee grinds you remove.

If youre like me, theyre awesome. You can simply record grind settings and tool number against pour times for some bean. It removes some guess work, since once you have some experience, you know, "I need to go up 2 sizes" or whatever. You dont need crazy methods of dosing.

Call up Di Bartoli on availability.

Comment

Hi Guys!

Just posted a more detailed description of Scotties tools in our sponsor area: http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?nu...932885/0<br /> and attached an image to this post.

Let us know with any questions / comments / feedback, talking to Scottie yesterday, he is very much interested hearing from CSs about their findings working with his tools.

Ofra

Comment

I have order a set from Di Bartoli on Tuesday im still waiting on delivery. Cant wait to try and see what this tool can do to help me improve my espresso shots.

Comment

w00t just pick this tool kit up from the post office!

Comment

Mmm.. there are two versions, right? One version with 6 tools and other with 30.

I know that the 6 tools version its "for home", however only 6 tools seems little... or 30 tools its too much?

Comment

I purchased the home set (6 tools) a few weeks ago and have only required tool #2 and #3 to date. 4 different varieties of beans have passed thru the grinder during that time. Some of the same beans have varied from 4 to 10 days post roast. I think 6 tools should be more than adequate, but I guess its still fairly early days.

I am very happy with my purchase.  . I was using what I think is referred to as the "overdose and collapse" method (does sound a bit suspect... ) and then sweeping with the straight edge of a knife. Also tried sweeping with my finger slightly bent. The typical result once I locked in the portafilter was too high of a dose (VBM has a low shower screen), and/or inconsistency. The tools help to eliminate this.

Comment

My wife reckons Scottys tool is heaps better than using her finger.

Comment

Hmmm

Comment

Working...
                              X