Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coffee coming out too quickly (Silvia/Rocky)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coffee coming out too quickly (Silvia/Rocky)

Im grinding my beans with the rocky at about notch #4.. which i find quite fine already, but still the coffee still comes out too quick.

unless i overload the coffee and force the portafilter in - making water coming out from the top too - i dont get the nice drip and crema coming out like it should slowly.. am i doing something wrong?

Re: Coffee coming out too quickly (Silvia/Rocky)

Are you using fresh beans and tamping properly?

Java "Sippin da bean" phile
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

yep. Im using beans i roasted on Tuesday, but they look oily after resting.

Comment

I would also blame the beans.

Probably test it with some other beans you know are good and fresh. Im not judging your roasting skills just trying to help.

Comment

Have you verified where your rockys zero point is? The numbers dont necessarily correspond to what the ought to ... ie. 0 is not necessarily the point at which the burrs touch. It could be, for example, that your burrs touch at -15, so you are effectively grinding at 20, not 4.

Hope that helps,

Luca

Comment

What are you doing for tamping?

Java "Tamping his way through life, one day at a time" phile

Comment

ok Ill try the grinder again. it might be the home roasting too. coz theres no crema at all. smells heaven though

Comment

The zero point on the grinder really doesnt matter. The numbers are there for reference only. If grinding the coffee finer chokes the Silvia then the grinder is working and changing the grind fineness.

With that being the case and using good fresh beans then the remaining variable that needs addressing is your tamping.

Java "A cup of many variables" phile

Comment

Originally posted by Javaphile link=1192983826/0#7 date=1193022622
                  then the remaining variable that needs addressing is your tamping.
                  And maybe Dosing? :

Mal.

Comment

What can go wrong with tamping? Ill post a video later ... its too hard to describe everything in words.

Comment

Originally posted by amberosw link=1192983826/0#9 date=1193035862
                      What can go wrong with tamping?
                      Lots. Not enough pressure, too much pressure, un-even tamping, tapping the pf too hard in between tamps.
                      Ill post a video later ... its too hard to describe everything in words.
                      Try a dot point description of your technique to start with. There may be a glaring error that can be identified straight away and corrected quite easily. Ive only got dial-up too, so it will take me about 2 days to download your video .

Comment

wrong size tamper perhaps... or moving the tamper when tamping...or tamping "on a slope"...

:-/

L

PS... it does get easier, eventually, Amber.... promise!!

Comment

or tamping with the stock silvia tamper, that really sucks

Comment

ok no video for this post, although Im uploading it as we speak.

1. Tamping on a slope ? I dont know how that happens but yes sometimes my coffee after tamping is slanted.

2. Silvia stock tamper - not using that. Ive got a tamper which is slightly smaller than the basket, so it gets messy at the sides - but i think its still ok. Ive ordered the pullman + synesso basket. so Im really looking forward to that!

3. funny thing is, i tried extracting again today - and this time even finer - about #2 on the rocky - and the shot turned out looking great. but tastes powdery and more bitter. not as good as the fast shot.

4. Theres water coming out from around - am I putting in too much coffee? or does my seal need replacing? :S

Comment

You tube Video: Coffee coming out too quickly (Sil

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtqH566JLd8

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. Ive finally uploaded the video of my extraction. just watch the first minute of it to get the picture. i know the milk is not perfect, but Im more concerned about the shots coming through too quickly. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X