BaristaCam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BaristaCam

I stumbled on down to my local third wave cafe for their inaugural Saturday opening and had the pleasure of watching a my coffee being made on screen. I saw the robur grinding by the cap, a few taps and a level and then a reggie tamp, followed by watching a beautiful honey drip extraction from the synesso, then observed the full texturing process and watching my rosetta poured.
    Now all this without having to step around behind the machine!! A little camera was mounted near the grinder allowing full view of the process displayed onto a screen on the other side of the synesso.
    Dinner and a show , have other CSers seen any other BaristaCam setups? I have heard of one somewhere in Sydney but I think the story went the cafe was sold and the new owners stopped the practice.

regards

Re: BaristaCam

There are a few around and boy, it has to put some pressure on the barista.
    ...although if the end result is a better coffee then we are all winners.

Comment

naked coffee (brisbane) has a camera

Comment

Not many places would be game to be under that sort of scrutiny!!

Comment

Originally posted by jimmyb link=1193660597/0#2 date=1193697054
          or you can just sit at one of the tables behind the counter and perve at the extractions.

Ive seen this in a few places in Melbourne I think, at the airport in particular - although it could be Brisbane. What I found amusing was that the quality of the camera, lighting and LCD Display were so poor, that it was basically useless. These systems are all very cute but if done on the cheap they wont stand up to a commercial environment - especially one full of moisture and fine particles.

Comment

Originally posted by hazchem link=1193660597/0#4 date=1193731106
            What I found amusing was that the quality of the camera, lighting and LCD Display were so poor, that it was basically useless. These systems are all very cute but if done on the cheap they wont stand up to a commercial environment - especially one full of moisture and fine particles.
            Great point, the execution has to be more than a gimmick but a serious showcase of exemplary practice. Has any cafe you have seen executed the concept properly?

Comment

Cafe 54 in Perth CBD has one. The quick glimpses I had didnt look very sharp, so Ill try to sit near it next time for a better look. They have a gorgeous Synesso and certainly know how to use it ... worth perving at.

Comment

I was talking with the boss about a camera set up...just gotta find the gear to do it....it does indeed put pressure on the barista to perform

Comment

Before St Ali, Mark D. owned a cafe called "Ray" in Sydney Road. He installed a little camera that toggled between the espresso machine and the coin laundry next door - so that people could have a coffee and dart back once their laundry was done!

The camera seems to have disappeared, and they have switched from Supreme to Atomica, but the coffee is still great.

Cheers,

Luca

Comment

Originally posted by boysana link=1193660597/0#5 date=1193748626
                    Originally posted by hazchem link=1193660597/0#4 date=1193731106
                    What I found amusing was that the quality of the camera, lighting and LCD Display were so poor, that it was basically useless. These systems are all very cute but if done on the cheap they wont stand up to a commercial environment - especially one full of moisture and fine particles.
                    Great point, the execution has to be more than a gimmick but a serious showcase of exemplary practice. Has any cafe you have seen executed the concept properly?
                    Not that Ive seen yet, but like anything to do with video it would all be a matter of how much you are prepared to spend.

Originally posted by Wushoes - David S link=1193660597/0#7 date=1194077519
                    I was talking with the boss about a camera set up...just gotta find the gear to do it....it does indeed put pressure on the barista to perform
                    Wushoes, I dont have any specific suggestions for equipment, but maybe Videocraft in Ashwood could help you out.

Comment

If you really want to put your barista under pressure, how filming the pour on a high-res, high frame rate camera, Sunbeam ad style, then playing the video back in slow-mo on a small screen built into the table as you drink the coffee

Using naked PFs would also add to the experience

Comment

Geez, its a good thing that cafes are such huge money spinners with the amount of video equipment being discussed here.

The ROI (Return on Investment) on some of this stuff would be YEARS! :-)

Comment

Originally posted by fatboy link=1193660597/0#11 date=1194222987
                          Geez, its a good thing that cafes are such huge money spinners with the amount of video equipment being discussed here.

The ROI (Return on Investment) on some of this stuff would be YEARS! :-)
                          Absolutely fb....

Thats why I have a Ferrari, a Porsche, beach houses and a few properties in Europe and America as well as a mansion in Toorak....and then I wake up :P

You gotta sell a whole heap of coffee to pay the rent and there are very few who make a fortune out of cafes. They are by no means, a licence to print money

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by m@ link=1193660597/0#10 date=1194217832
                            Sunbeam ad style
                            I saw that Ad for the first time last night while watching CSI on the projector... I tell you what that kept my eyes glued to the screen for the entire 45 seconds or so...

They certainly did a good job at filming that pour!

I also noticed they used a naked PF for part of the shot, I wonder if this means they are making them for the 6910s now... Interesting none the less...

John.

Comment

Sunbeam do have naked portafilters...Ive seen them...theyre professionally cut

Comment

Working...
                              X