coffee in japan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• coffee in japan

I have not tried Starbucks. Ive tried a few cafes. I havent seen a single espresso machine. Not even in a starbucks. The canned coffee is the least ofensive thing here it seems. Some of the canned stuff is not half bad. And you can get it anywhere. So many vending machines. Tommy Lee Jones promotes the Boss brand. Scarlet Johansen promotes ... I forget. Starbucks has its own canned coffee that comes in a sealed plastic cup. I think this is a rebrand of the stuff Scarlet Johansen promotes. I tried it, biggest coldest espresso Ive ever had. The 2 lattes Ive had were crap. But OK if you consider it was brewed coffee.

They also have Seattles Best here. Heh.

I remember someone saying Paul Basset has something going on down in Tokyo?

Re: coffee in japan

Recurve boy,

check Paul web site and you will get the address from there website.

Looking forward to your return

Renzo

Comment

The Paul Bassett website is fat, slow and tragic to use (far too flashy but does look pretty) the stores are in Ginza, Shinjuku and Jiugaoka.

The below maps were pilfered from: http://www.paulbassett.jp/

I can only assume they are maps of where the cafes are, maybe you can print them and hand to a taxi driver although all three appear to be walking distance from a train station (I guess, not read)
      ;-)

[hr]

Jiugaoka.

[hr]

Shinjuku

[hr]

Ginza

[hr]

Comment

Over $AU 5 for a coffee --sounds like Japan, alright.

Comment

You wont need to see a taxi driver (though theyd be most helpful). Just stand at the train station, or on the street, looking at the map and within no time youll have one or two very polite Japanese people wanting to both help you and practise their english. Though, this is based on Osaka and Kyoto, things might be different in Tokyo (???). Oh I wish I was there......

Comment

Yeah - genuinely pleasant mob to wander through.

Comment

The Paul Basset shop in Ginza is under renovation so will not be open until mid December. Youd be better to know where you are going rather than rely on the locals for directions. I was walking through Ginza asking locals for directions based on the address on Pauls website and noone was able to help. I stumbled across it by accident and found it closed due to renovations.

The tea in Japan was good.

Comment

Well, I never got chance to look for Pauls cafe. So, oh well. Next time.

I didnt see many espresso machines there. Only 2 or 3 from just looking into a store. Generally, the best coffee to be had is from a can. It is consistent, not too offensive and available everywhere. Which I think is better than trying your chances with a cafe. And cheaper. About $1.20 on average.

Yes, the tea was good. The food was good too. I think the qualityrice ratio is higher than Sydney.

Comment

Working...
                X