Clover?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clover?

Has anyone been following the fortunes of the new Clover coffee machine in the US?

This has been making interesting press in highbrow places - eg. the Economist and the Atlantic Monthly - see http://cloverequipment.com/news/in_the_press.aspx for links.

Re: Clover?

had a look at the link, navigated around it, through it and over it, and still havent found a pic of the machine... :-?

L

Comment

Originally posted by Lizzi link=1199411850/0#1 date=1199412792
      had a look at the link, navigated around it, through it and over it, and still havent found a pic of the machine... :-?

L
      Try here: http://cloverequipment.com/whyclover/why_clover.aspx

Its only a filter coffee machine though, not espresso.

Bill

Comment

thanks Bill, on the research-ball as usual!!

found some too.... here: http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/busine..._coffee16.html and

here: http://www.espressoparts.com/product...ee_brewer.html

concept is intrigueing... super-aeropress...

now,i f they combine it with a PIDed boiler, e61 GH and steam arm so we can choose whether to have espresso or drip... it could well become the ultimate snob-machine!! ;D ;D

L

Comment

There is a pic at http://cloverequipment.com/whyclover/why_clover.aspx

The Atlantic Monthly article is a very interesting read.

Comment

Originally posted by Lizzi link=1199411850/0#3 date=1199412971
            now,i f they combine it with a PIDed boiler, e61 GH and steam arm so we can choose whether to have espresso or drip... it could well become the ultimate snob-machine!! ;D ;D
            Actually it does appear to have PID. Check out the specifications page: http://cloverequipment.com/whyclover/specifications.aspx

Bill

Comment

youre right, Bill, i missed the PID at first glance...

... 4800W is quite an element on single phase; that would want/need a separate fuse on the board if you were to put it in a domestic/small commercial environment?

it doesnt say how big the boiler is :-/

still, looking at the reviews they have managed to get it right!!
              good on them

L

Comment

hi there.

i havent been following on the fortunes of the clover, rather ive been hooked on trying various coffees from it.

BBB in melbourne has the clover installed and brews that come out of it are very nice indeed - very clean and you can really get a feel for the origin and roast of the coffee. however, it is hard to compare clover brews with espresso. they are two different kettle of fish. apples and oranges one may say.

the capabilities of this machine is amazing. you can customise what coffee youd like to try. it is also very programmable to the barista/consumer - temperature, brew duration, etc.

the last coffee i had there was a tanzanian kilamanjaro. a beautiful beautiful coffee. i felt i could drink it all day without milk, sugar... which is what i nearly did until i felt the buzz :/

Comment

I am keen to try this new fangled coffee squeegee.

It looks like it comes with everything - including the kitchen sink.

So, what does BBB stand for and what is the address? Ill give it a go next time Im in Melbourne.

(Also, I wonder if there is one in Perth somewhere?)

Comment

Oops, I see the adjacent thread has answered my question re BBB.

But Perth?

Comment

If you go to the clover website (http://cloverequipment.com/) you can actually view a map of where all the clover machines in the world are located - unfortunately, according to the map, there are only two in Australia - BBB in Melbourne, and Allpress in Sydney.

Comment

Ive read on three blogs this morning (Sweet Marias, James Hoffmans and Cafe Grendel) that Starbucks have now acquired the Clover. I cant see this being a good thing for anyone really :-/

Comment

I do....Starbucks has a huge market in America. If theyre able to generate mass interest in specialty coffee, it can only be a good thing...right?

Comment

Originally posted by Bill link=1199411850/0#2 date=1199412896

Its only a filter coffee machine though, not espresso.

Bill

You say that like its a bad thing Not everything good about coffee is tied up in espresso. There are other methods of serving quality coffee.
                            The Clover is actually not "just a filter" coffee machine. Its more or less an automated plunger style coffee machine producing a full bodied drink and preserving the subtleties of single origin coffees. . With the benefit of a fast turn around and easy use for the operator.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=clover+coffee&search_type=
                            Theres heaps of videos here about The Clover, showing them in action.

As discussed there was a working Clover on display at the recent CTB 2008 in Melbourne. Was interesting to see one working live, and it really is VERY simple and fast to use.
                            As was also mentioned the guys from St Ali were up against it on the day, and the taste of the coffee served was lacking somewhat. But I imagine in a dedicated setup in a restaurant, or cafe with controlled conditions (water, non-paper cups, grinder dialed in) that Clover can produce spectacular results.

For business owners the advantage of a Clover is that they can offer their customers a large range of single origin coffees that can be ordered and made on the spot. Limited only by the number of grinders a cafe/rest is willing to dedicate to The Clover. It allows for a table of six diners to each order a different SO coffee after the meal and the operator can whip through six different brews and have the hot coffees on the table in just a few minutes. Or more traditional espresso cafes could have a Clover thats running the chosen SO of the day, as a special for customers who want a change from the daily dose of low fat soy double mocha latte.

I imagine the reason Starbucks is interested in The Clover is that they can offer a different range of specialty coffees, made correctly with little chance for the operators to screw it up.

Comment

Originally posted by lochness link=1199411850/0#13 date=1206241255

For business owners the advantage of a Clover is that they can offer their customers a large range of single origin coffees that can be ordered and made on the spot.  Limited only by the number of grinders a cafe/rest is willing to dedicate to The Clover.  It allows for a table of six diners to each order a different SO coffee after the meal and the operator can whip through six different brews and have the hot coffees on the table in just a few minutes.    Or more traditional espresso cafes could have a Clover thats running the chosen SO of the day, as a special for customers who want a change from the daily dose of low fat soy double mocha latte.

I imagine the reason Starbucks is interested in The Clover is that they can offer a different range of specialty coffees, made correctly with little chance for the operators to screw it up.  
                              Will small cafes still be able to get one though? I may have misunderstood what I read, but I got the impression that cafes that already have one can keep it and it will continue to be serviced and supported, but only Starbucks will be able to get new ones from this point forward.

Funny you should say that David, Tom from Sweet Marias had this to say

"A lot of respectable people have been cheerleaders for the Clover , and I imagine they feel really burned. But think of all those small places that coughed up $11k per machine (or a bit more). What’s it worth to them now if Starbucks will have one just across the street. Clover was part of a quality initiative to elevate the level of brewed coffee, to give the independent a better chance against the chains. Of course, it’s a very savvy move by Starbucks, something called “recuperation” in culture studies. But it’s a sad day for specialty coffee (it that term still means anything)."

(P.S. I hope Im allowed to quote that, sorry if I shouldnt).

Comment

Working...
                              X