Measuring Shot glasses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Measuring Shot glasses

I had a little shot glass size measuring glass with measurements in ounces and mililitres up to 30ml. Dropped it while cleaning and it broke. Anyone know where I can buy a replacement? Prefer to go to shops to buy rather than online.

Re: Measuring Shot glasses

My wife bought mine from coffeeparts late last year.

I guess you could get it from a good homeware shop eg Myer? Or possible, from a local coffeeshop near you that sells accessories?

Comment

House, minimax, essential ingredient and other homeware stores sell them.

Price varies; from $18 for a 3 pack upto $12 per shot glass...

StAli and 1st Pour (Veneziano) have the bumper shot glass in stock, 30ml

For calibrating the pour, I like to use the coffeeparts 60ml one cos I can just use one shot glass - it is wide enough to catch the pour from both spouts.
      http://coffeeparts.com.au/accessories/cups.html

Comment

Hiya NTE,
        I got mine at "howards storage world"- $5!
        Cheers, Anthony

Comment

When I feel the need to measure my pours, I also use the calibrated CoffeeParts one which is graduated at both 30ml and 60ml.....

Mal.

Comment

After reading this post i decided to by the measurement cup from coffee parts so will be able to do some adjustments on the weekend. I often wonder how often i should calibrate my grind etc. but the difficult part in all of it is to get a suitable cup with a measure wide enough to take a double pour.
            For $6.50 its not bad.
            I am doing a barista course on Saturday morning so it will be interesting to see how the experts do it all.

Mal

Comment

Any ordininary household glass of suitable size will serve the purpose for calibating pours. (from liqueur glass upwards)

Then use a cough medicine measuring cap with graduations marked on the side to pour out 30 ml of water into the glass. Mark the level with a permanent marker, or stick on a thin strip of adhesive.

Do likewise at the 60 ml level.

Comment

Robins Kitchen sells nice little calibrated glasses, thats where I got mine.

Ray.

Comment

I got the coffeeparts one and its a beauty. It is close to half an inch thick on the bottom and of itself makes a nice short black glass for me at least.

Cheers

Comment

I like the Pyrex ones from general trader, measurements up to 30ml/1oz and 60ml/2oz when filled to the rim.

Dimmeys has non measuring ones I think I paid $2 for 12 or something ridiculous like that, then just drew a line at 30ml with a permanent marker. Get the really thick ones that are round at the top and octagonal at the base, 30ml is about a cm from the top.

Comment

When using shot glasses and similar, do others find that they lose crema when pouring into the cup or glass to serve it in? Or is it my dodgy technique?

Also, when measuirng the 30mls, does the crema on top count or do you only measure from the black... ie. the crema sits above the line?

Comment

I count the crema in the measurement. Its all coffee goodness and it all counts!

Comment

A very cheap option is the $2 measuring glass from Wheel & Barrow. Oz and ml, and at that price you can buy a couple of spares.

Comment

Already got a couple of spares David, also from CoffeeParts......

Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by PiccoloLatte link=1199852082/0#10 date=1199930326
                              When using shot glasses and similar, do others find that they lose crema when pouring into the cup or glass to serve it in? Or is it my dodgy technique?

Also, when measuirng the 30mls, does the crema on top count or do you only measure from the black... ie. the crema sits above the line?
                              Best to drink from the same cup it pours into. That goes for espressos and milk coffees.

To count crema or not to count, that is an age old question.

With a good machine, and a good technique and fresh beans, most of the initial volume in the cup during the pour tends to be crema. Obviously you dont count that. As the pour progresses, the bubbly crema dissipates. The coffee may also turn blond before the 60 mls is poured, so you dont want to keep extracting just to make up the nominal volume.

I aim for 60 mls plus or minus a few mls of settled crema.

Comment

Working...
                              X