X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best type of sugar for coffee

Hello everyone!

Just a quick update;
    Got myself an old BM from a garage sale the other week and picked up a DMM today
    I too have entered the world of Corretto roasting and am eager to start roasting with a little more hit than miss

Once again Im after some expert advice and again, on behalf dad who still refuses to drink any sort of coffee without sugar.

He has been using raw sugar to sweeten his coffee, but was wanting to ask you all if another type of sugar would be better suited to this.

Do other types (or brands even) of sugar do more sweetening and less flavouring than raw sugar?

Many thanks! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Re: Best type of sugar for coffee

Marco,

Id say just plain white sugar is probably the best. Its used by practically every cafe as its what comes in single serve sachets.

Mostly, there is no hard or fast rule to sugar. I think that there are cafes who are selling the best coffee in Australia who dont put any emphasis on their sugar supply at all, purely because they believe you shouldnt be putting sugar in their coffee anyway! I dont blame them for that attitude mainly because I also, as a professional, hate seeing people pour 6 teaspoons of sugar into my perfectly made coffee!

Even when Ive made an espresso, I see that customers will throw a sugar into that as well! :

Having said all that...

At home, I will actually serve up demarra sugar to guests and then if Ive run out of that, I will give them raw sugar. I dont have sugar in my coffee at all but when I used to (years ago now it seems!), it was demarra as it seemed to blend well with the coffee flavour and not mask it too much.

Comment

Another vote for demerara sugar!
      http://www.csrsugar.com.au/ViewProduct.aspx?id=7

I dont do sugar in coffee as a rule but if I do its demerara. In fact the CSR "coffee sugar" satchels is demerara but they dont say so on the packet. I bought a box of the satchels when I did a fund raiser, they cost double the white sugar satchels but well worthwhile if taste is important.

I assume the standard cafes use white because of the price.

The strange (and mostly unknown) thing about demerara sugar is that it is far more natural than raw sugar.

Comment

Second that one Andy! Best sugar in the world.

Makes a nice crust on some strawberry muffins.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Freeman link=1203161063/0#2 date=1203167612
          The strange (and mostly unknown) thing about demerara sugar is that it is far more natural than raw sugar.
          Wow,.. I didnt know that (pun intended  :) ...we only ever have raw sugar here at home, so this is what our guests are given if they reeeally must have sugar their coffee.  I buy raw because of it being natural and not suffering the disgusting process of white and *gasp* brown sugar too.  I hadnt even heard of demerara sugar before this thread,.. and if it is even more natural than raw...then I better get some me thinks.

EDITED TO ADD: Andy,..how do you know this about demerara? do you know where I can find info about it being more natural than raw? I just googled and couldnt find anything that gives this info.

Comment

I have to say I enjoy demerara sugar too,
            most of my local quality Cafés I visit have it available

Comment

Originally posted by Remy link=1203161063/0#4 date=1203255581
              EDITED TO ADD: Andy,..how do you know this about demerara? do you know where I can find info about it being more natural than raw? I just googled and couldnt find anything that gives this info.
              lookidy here Remy ...

http://www.billingtons.co.uk/

Available at good delis, & catering supply places.

Great in cupcakes too

Comment

Hi,
                or if you want to go even more natural again - try muscovado sugar.
                Its dark brown/black and a little sticky.
                Virtually none of the natural malty sugar or molasses has been removed or filtered from this stuff.
                I remember having a link once that showed where in the process each type of sugar was taken off - from the raw juice through to the highly refined white. It also showed that some of the brown sugars are white sugar with some of the malt returned to the mix.
                There is a little info on wikipedia - but not the list I seem to remember.

Frankie

Comment

Originally posted by GrindOnDemand link=1203161063/0#6 date=1203283931
                  Available at good delis, & catering supply places.
                  Our local Supermarket seems to sell it too so maybe your neighbourhood Woolies will have some....

Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by gz20tt link=1203161063/0#7 date=1203297773
                    It also showed that some of the brown sugars are white sugar with some of the malt returned to the mix.
                    I seem to remember someone telling me that that was what happened with raw sugar - but I could be wrong...

Juls

Comment

Raw sugar is what I use everyday at work. I find it is more complimentary to the coffee than white sachet sugar.

Comment

Usually dont have sugar, but some coffees do go well with sugar. I tried some Raw organic sugar the other day and it took a while to dissolve it. So i grounded the Raw sugar thru a blender "Thermomixer" to make it finer. Looks like icing sugar. Freshly ground sugar is so much better, a lot like freshly grounded coffee beans.

Comment

Alternatively, put the sugar in the cup prior to pouring your espresso. In addition to the hot espresso dissolving the sugar faster, the heat will slightly caramelise it, adding some extra flavour dimensions (or so Im told).

Comment

you cant caramelise sugar at that temperature. Sugar caramelises at around 160 deg C.

Comment

Extracting espresso at that temperature would definitely introduce some extra flavours!

Comment

Working...
                              X