Does this bean have a name...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does this bean have a name...

No not looking for "Brian" or a list of baby names, Im curious what this double headed coffee bean is clasified as.

Peaberry is when one half a bean wraps to be the only seed in the fruit, this one I assume is one of a pair with a mutant double crack.

I have seen them from time to time when roasting or packing. Its rare to see a green one but they must standout more when brown.

Not the best photo (camera phone) but you can see what Im talking about.

Anyone come across them before?

Re: Does this bean have a name...

Well, its got a face that only a mother could love, thats for sure.

Maybe you could sell it on ebay? ;D

A "bifurcated peaberry" maybe?

Comment

And I thought the Bani Ismail were ugly.

Never seen one before.

Comment

Maybe call it "Ettin," named after a two-headed giant.

Comment

Andy.... out with it. If youre playing around with genetically modified coffee... just say so... chuckle...
          Ill keep an eye out for GM WOW... heheeh

PS... hello Wine_of_the_bean, I eat out at Makan@alice... across the road now and then... I will drop over and say "gday" next visit.

Comment

Hhhhmmmm....I seem to recall having a batch of Kenyan Peaberry awhile back that had some of those in it. No idea what that type of mutation is called though.

Java "Grown on an ancient alien LZ perhaps?" phile
            Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Roasted some Ugandan Bugisu this morning and came across this peaberry. Its so shiny that I thought it was plastic - no bifurcation at all, and imho much prettier than the first bean in this thread! ;D

Is this the prefect coffee bean?

Pics taken front and back...

Comment

Well I noticed my recent roast of Kenya A had some weird looking beans with double cracks in them. Most likely because of my fantastic roasting skills... NOT. Dont recall if they had chaff remnants in both cracks though,..probably not,.. but you have piqued my curiosity enough to take another look.

Comment

Also roasted the Kenya A and saw one with double crack after roasting! If i remember correctly there wasnt much chaff between it.

Comment

Well yes they do have chaff remnants in both cracks as it turns out.  Here is a bunch of mutant beans with double cracks of varying degree. Kenya A mutants.

Yours looks to be a more exagerated mutation of the same.

Do I win?? *snort*

Comment

Remy,

Thats what you get when you start to inbreed your beans. ;D ;D

Comment

Originally posted by The Goodies link=1206361827/0#10 date=1206784034
                        Remy,

Thats what you get when you start to inbreed your beans. ;D ;D
                        Oi know.....but how am I to stop it, I thought I was doing the right thing by storing them in the sack in the dark. :-/

Comment

Originally posted by Remy link=1206361827/0#11 date=1206786382
                          Oi know.....but how am I to stop it, I thought I was doing the right thing by storing them in the sack in the dark. :-/
                          Well jeeze, theres the problem Remy! Not only did you give them permission to get with each other in the sack, you actually put them there! And then to make matters worse you turned out the lights for them!! Sheesh! What did you expect teens beans to do alone in the dark in a big pile in the sack?!?!?! Youre just lucky they werent Tribbles!!!! : ;D

Java "Bean me up Scotty!" phile
                          Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X