Growing Coffee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Growing Coffee

While on a recent trip to Sth Queensland I saw some coffee growing. Because I am interested in coffee, I looked for some internet info.

This link is to some research that the NSW DPI conducted (late last century by the look of it).

http://www.rirdc.gov.au/pub/handbook/coffee.html (there is a link to .pdf on the page if your prefer better resolution)

Anyway it sparked my interest. One of the coffee shops I randomly visited in Nth NSW used Zentvelds coffee. The report has a short feature about this business.

I am just hoping that climate change makes coffee growing possible in the more southern parts of Australia Or more seriously, the economic policies implemented to avert climate change will make a local inductry viable.

Where do CSers grow coffee? What success? How do you process beans?

Re: Growing Coffee

I have two plants here in Sydney I bought last year.
    They survived their first winter (covered) and have about tripled in size.
    A long way to go yet for the first crop.

Comment

Like Thundergod, you can count me in on the attempt to grow my own coffee.

Plant is still way too young for the first crop. Its going on about 2.5 years old now... in fact, I thought it died during the first Winter (all the leaves fell off, and left just the main stem). Someone courteously dumped the pot it was in, out onto a big mossy, shadowy sandstone shelf out the back. I was sad to see it go, but about the following Summer, I noticed a plant growing out of the rock cracks. Did a quick image search to compare the leaf patterns to coffee plants and it certainly -does- look similar.

I chipped away the sandstone and managed to extract the plant (roots and all) in pretty much one piece, transferred it to a nice big pot, and gave it a little fertiliser.

Since then, the plant has quintupled, at least, in size - I did buy it when it was -very- small though (about 12cm in height, with two leaves).

Thundergod, do you have any photos of your plants?

I just hope that I am not tending a cuckoo coffee plant.

Comment

I cant find the original post so heres the old picture again of when they were little.

Comment

very cute, TG ...  

Gadget ... any cultivars commercially grown in Oz are most likely K7 - yes, developed as a climatic-friendly hybrid (Nth NSW was the test case, DPI researched & honed ... & Im sure RIRDC was on board).

Mountain Top, near Nimbin, grow coffee - Im yet to try, but I hear as an espresso very sweet in the cup palatably.

Nats (Golden Bean accolade thingy of some sort, from Alstonville) are assuredly K7 origin.

Some bearded-bloke I recall seeing on this forum also got some shiny bean Logie of some sort ... anyway, back to topic!

And this is not surprising if MT is touted as a pinnacle Oz bean ... we basically DONT have the climatic conditions to grow fantastic quality coffee (if a stand alone bean means body).

Sure, MT is based on the volcanic, rich red-soil ranges, up high ...

So are PNG farms - but they have the humidity factor, & are higher in altitude

Tasting the varietal beauty of global SOs that I have, Im yet to be convinced that we can match it, vis-a-vis offering a complex bean in the cup.

... but our wines are bloody up there  

cheers,
          Tony

Comment

Hello Gadget,
            Here is a fantastic link to a nursery that sells "Coffea arabica" Coffee Trees. They say there is a viable Coffee Farm in Berry in Southern NSW although I do not know of it.

http://heartgarden.com.au/description.asp?id=189

these guys also sell coffee plants on evilbay if you search..

The botanical name of the plants they sell states it is an "arabica", although if you live at sea level up to about 700-800 feet you will grow "robusta" beans. All this means is the coffee plant will produce more of its natural pesticide ie: "caffeine" than a plant grown at altitude where the plant has less pests to deal with so the plant grown at altitude will naturally produces less pesticide and the beans will contain less caffeine and will be known as "arabica"

The site also gives a good idea of how to harvest your beans and the fermenting process and the drying out process too..

I have two little plants on order, it will be fun to see them grow into fully grown trees and hopefully in a few years Ill harvest a few beans to roast and try.

good luck

IbW

Comment

Originally posted by Javanation link=1206526309/0#5 date=1206688968
              Hello Gadget,
              Here is a fantastic link to a nursery that sells "Coffea arabica" Coffee Trees. They say there is a viable Coffee Farm in Berry in Southern NSW although I do not know of it.

The botanical name of the plants they sell states it is an "arabica", although if you live at sea level up to about 700-800 feet you will grow "robusta" beans. All this means is the coffee plant will produce more of its natural pesticide ie: "caffeine" than a plant grown at altitude where the plant has less pests to deal with so the plant grown at altitude will naturally produces less pesticide and the beans will contain less caffeine and will be known as "arabica"

The site also gives a good idea of how to harvest your beans and the fermenting process and the drying out process too..

I have two little plants on order, it will be fun to see them grow into fully grown trees and hopefully in a few years Ill harvest a few beans to roast and try.

good luck

IbW
              Oh really?  :-?

Does that mean if I breed poodles at high altitude Ill get great danes?

My botany training suggests that species dont normally morph into new species just based on environment....

Given that the gene which produces caffeine may be more heavily expressed at low altitude, but to imply there is a change of species?  :-?

Comment

Originally posted by 2muchcoffeeman link=1206526309/0#6 date=1206691652
                Hello Gadget,

good luck

IbW
                Oh really? :-?

My botany training suggests that species dont normally morph into new species just based on environment....

Given that the gene which produces caffeine may be more heavily expressed at low altitude, but to imply there is a change of species? :-?
                its how it was explained to me. Im no botanist. let me know how you go with the great danes!

cheers
                IbW

Comment

Oh really?  :-?
                  Dont be absurd Chris ... youd get rottweilers

Comment

Originally posted by GrindOnDemand link=1206526309/0#8 date=1206693212
                    Oh really? :-?
                    Dont be absurd Chris ... youd get rottweilers
                    Youre both off the mark. Everyone knows you get Yetis!! 8-) ;D

While the same arabica plant grown at different altitudes may produce differing amounts of caffeine, as Chris has said it most certainly will not change species!

Even if when grown at sea level the arabica plant(s) produce the same amount of caffeine as the robustas [i]that does not mean their genes suddenly rearrange themselves and turn the plant into a new species. Unless perhaps you wanted to wait around for a few thousand years of course. :

Java "If Homo sapiens breed in a cave do they produce Cro-Magnons?" phile
                    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Mmmmm,Australia cant grow good coffee eh? I think its time for some people to switch off their computers,get in your cars and start the tour .It appears the rest of the world is "on to it" before the locals become aware of it. There are a couple of growers in my area who produce a "top" product,and one particular grower who has recently been visited by a group of foreign producers who were amazed at the quality and amount of product he was getting off his few acres. I beleive there are some "business talks"happening as a result. I personally think its time we all get behind the locals and help create a real industry in this country that we can be proud of before its too late.

Comment

Originally posted by elbeano link=1206526309/0#10 date=1206708828
                        Mmmmm,Australia cant grow good coffee eh?
                        I was wondering when some CSr would be a tad outraged with my comments  .

Thanks Elbeano, for responding directly ..

I was not dumping Oz grown beans in the bin, I was basically saying that for a consumer (meaning cafe-client) oriented audience, Im afraid that because theyre predominantly milk based coffee drinkers, then the Oz grown stuff just wont cut the mustard.

It aint got the oomph of body to distinguish its intrinsic qualities through milk - Pura pure & simple.

Its basically VERY difficult to convince a customer to change from their predictable milk saturated coffee experience, to a pure espresso & its variations (even if diluted with water as a long black ... say).

each to their own ...
                        Tony

Comment

I like the variety of beans from around the world. I do wonder if we can do with coffee the same that we have done with wine.

The Mountain Top Estate Boomerang Peaberry if have purchased from Bean Bay, roasted and prepared myself has been excellent. It stands out among the coffee beans I have tried from around the world. I am not any sort of an expert and hardly even a coffeesnob, yet my mouth and nose tell me this is good. Likewise the Mount Tamborine Coffee I have tried stands out. My comments arent aimed at a discussion about these two producers/varieties, nor to invite reviews of their products.

The trouble is, I know so little about coffee growing, and there is so much to learn. I guess thats what i like about the coffee hobby. Every time I feel like i have reached a plateau in my knowledge or experience, it only takes about two weeks before another huge area opens up for investigation.

So this week it is hobby coffee growing. Spurred on by my recent acquisition of two plants, their transportation from a warm sunny paradise to a hostile place which is hot and dry in summer and cold and frosty in winter.

They are about 400mm tall and have recently been put into a potting mix and prepared to be brought inside for winter. They appear to have suffered no ill effects.

Comment

IbW
                            Javanation, thanks for link. Another piece to the jigsaw of info about growing coffee!

Comment

Originally posted by Thundergod link=1206526309/0#1 date=1206532373
                              I have two plants here in Sydney I bought last year.
                              They survived their first winter (covered) and have about tripled in size.
                              A long way to go yet for the first crop.
                              TG,
                              I hope they continue to flourish. Some friends in Sydney say their neighbours have a couple mature plants which seem to grow happily.

Comment

Working...
                              X