Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Melbourne Roastery Cafes? (Perth CS needs info)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Melbourne Roastery Cafes? (Perth CS needs info)

Im going to be in Melbourne mid May for a work conference - and seeing that Ill be traveling without family (queue fan fare  ;D ) , Im hoping I might have a day or two committed to nothing but visiting Melbournes Coffee landmarks.  Specifically tho, Im wanting to visit roaster cafes because Im really keen to see Cafe set-ups, chat with their Owners (or Managers), sample wares and no doubt be a right pain in the ar$e during customer peak-hour  .

Veneziano and St Ali are definites... are there any others?

Unfortunately, I dont think Ill have the time or means to go beyond Melbournes outer limits (ie: will probably have to limit my choice to within 15-20 klm radius of CBD).

Cheers and thanks!

-Alchemist-

Re: Melbourne Roastery Cafes? (Perth CS needs info

They dont have a roastery, but you must, must, must visit The Maling Room in Canterbury.

Best. Cafe. Ever. (IMHO )

(And Andrew is quite possibly the nicest guy ever!)

... Michelle sobs cuz she cant make her annual Melbourne pilgrimage this year ...

Comment

Originally posted by Michelle link=1207836491/0#1 date=1207867575
      They dont have a roastery, but you must, must, must visit The Maling Room in Canterbury.

Best. Cafe. Ever. (IMHO )

(And Andrew is quite possibly the nicest guy ever!)

... Michelle sobs cuz she cant make her annual Melbourne pilgrimage this year ...  
      Was that Andrew L- (aka Gordon Ramsay) you were referring to Michelle :-? ;D

Nar- he really is a nice bloke. Passion and coffee go a long way towards a great cup.

Comment

Originally posted by 2muchcoffeeman link=1207836491/0#2 date=1207868396
        Was that Andrew L- (aka Gordon Ramsay)  you were referring to Michelle  :-? ;D

Nar- he really is a nice bloke. Passion and coffee go a long way towards a great cup.
        ;D Ramsey? Really?

If I lived in Melbourne hed have to use a similiar amount of profanity to get me out of his cafe at closing time

Comment

Originally posted by Michelle link=1207836491/0#3 date=1207869599
          Originally posted by 2muchcoffeeman link=1207836491/0#2 date=1207868396
          Was that Andrew L- (aka Gordon Ramsay)  you were referring to Michelle  :-? ;D

;D Ramsey? Really?

If I lived in Melbourne hed have to use a similiar amount of profanity to get me out of his cafe at closing time  

Believe me, he would ;D

Comment

Sam, Liar Liar in Hawthorn has had good reviews.

Comment

Gigante Coffee/Peaberrys Cafe are ones definately worth seeing too.

Comment

Originally posted by greenman link=1207836491/0#5 date=1207871859
                Ive read the reviews, but didnt know it was a roastery cafe?

You learn something new every day!

Thanks everyone - Id better book myself in for an extra night and make a full weekend of it

Cheers,

-Alchemist-

Comment

Originally posted by -Alchemist- link=1207836491/0#7 date=1207875488
                  Originally posted by greenman link=1207836491/0#5 date=1207871859
                  Ive read the reviews, but didnt know it was a roastery cafe?
                  It isnt. Five Senses supply them. Im not sure if thats Five Senses mornington, or if Five Senses Melbourne is up and running.

Cheers,

Luca

Comment

Hey guys,

I have screamed at a barista in a long time. I usually scream in the kitchen now. Only made 6 people cry this year so thats pretty good for me. 2 were customers. They really deserved it.

Thanks for the nice words Michelle.

Actually taking a trip down our direction you can make a few hits.
                    There is 7 grams
                    First pour
                    Liar Liar
                    And my end. Its all in the same direction. We roast our own coffee, Matty our barista heads down Atomica every Wednesday to roast.
                    Going to roasters is great but there are cafes that are really pushing the coffee side. I dont see any roastery as focused as 7 grams behind the machine. There are cafes that have amazing teams working at the machine and all they are focused on is pulling great coffee after great coffee. Missing that out would be wrong.

Andrew

Comment

theres also
                      Caffea on Elizabeth st, near Victoria market - CBD
                      another one is The Coffee Company on Carlisle St, Balaklava.
                      they both roast their coffees...

Comment

Originally posted by AndyL link=1207836491/0#9 date=1207915047
                        I dont see any roastery as focused as 7 grams behind the machine. There are cafes that have amazing teams working at the machine and all they are focused on is pulling great coffee after great coffee. Missing that out would be wrong.
                        I take your point Andrew and believe me, if time were on my side Id definitely be trying all of exquisite cafes Melbourne has to offer (wish I had a week instead of the weekend  )

Im skewing my visits to roastery-cafes primarily as Im particularly interested in these as a business model.  That said, Im also trying to negotiate an extra (third) day with the Social Director of the household so I can have some extra time to sample cafes (I know its gonna cost me tho  ).... If I do, rest assured, Maling Room will be on the list!

Cheers,

-Alchemist-

Comment

Working...
                        X