Question on Growing Coffee Trees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on Growing Coffee Trees

As I live in Brisbane I have been contemplating about growing some coffee trees for some time now.
    I have prepared a garden bed of approximately 1.5 mt X 5 mt sheltered next to corner fence line and gets morning sun until 2 to 3 pm

I am looking at these 2 varieties below. (Information found on the internet)
    However I am leaning towards the Catui as it will grow as a shrub and is originally from South America I believe it is an Arabica variety
    They are available in Australia to buy as seed or plant

Dwarf Coffee Tree - Catui
    A dwarf coffee tree suitable for handpicking, prolific cropper of quality beans.
    Makes an ideal plant for growing in a pot as an ornamental

Coffee K7
    Resistant to both Berry Disease and Coffee Rust this tree was developed and recommended for growing in the Northern Rivers Area by NSW Agriculture Department after extensive trials at Alstonville NSW. An open spreading variety, it is a reliable cropper, producing large flavour-filled beans.
    :-/
    I can’t find information on planting distance between trees to judge how many plants I can fit in the garden bed
    Thoughts and comments appreciated  
    KK

Re: Question on Growing Coffee Trees

My two are currently only 2 feet apart and after a year or so it seems to be too close.
    They are a couple of feet high now and their leaves are beginning to touch.

The stems are still quite thin, less than a cm in thickness.

I think come spring I might try moving them.

Have you tried ringing the NSW Ag. Dept?

Comment

I have been given a phone number of a grower somewhere in or near Murwillumbah
      They also sell plants
      Might give them a call next week and ask what soil is preferred by coffee trees and ask how far apart to plant as well

KK

Comment

Trees are spaced between 0.75m and 1.0 m apart within the rows and 3.0 to 4.0 m apart between the rows (depending on the cultivar and climate).

This is the spec for machine harvesting from a NSW DPI publication.

Comment

I dont think I need a machine for harvesting so Ill wait for KK to come back with the results of his queries.

Comment

The K7 variety is more for farming and suitable for machinery harvesting

The Catui variety is more like a small bush growing 1 to 1.5 mt high and suitable for small gardens and pots

Some people have used the Catui as hedge bushes

I also came across this Australian forum of Q&A by accident
            http://www.daleysfruit.com.au/forum/coffee/

Its like coffee snobs but about coffee trees plus stacks of other useful information if you take the time to navigate and read

There is a funny video on first coffee crop made into espresso coffee

Thanks gadget for the NSW DPI lead

Will call the farm during the week and get back to you
            In the meantime read that info from the link above

KK

Comment

Below is a quote from the Daleys Nursery forum regarding preparation after harvesting the beans. A bit of work involved.

Hi,

Weve moved to a property that has 30 coffee plants and we have started harvesting and processing them.

We pop them out of the red outer layer within 24 hours of picking. They are then soaked in water for up to 48 hours to ferment. The slippery beans will get a grainy coating. When they feel grainy, wash them out a few times and put in the sun in a thin layer to start the drying process. After a few days (depending where you live), 5-30 days (it doesnt take long here on the Sunshine Coast) the husks will start to split - they will then come away easily and reveal the little inner bean, they expand when they are roasted. This will have a papery covering, which you dont need to remove, it will not affect the coffee.

Leave these to dry in the sun. They are ready to be roasted when you can bite into them and dont leave a dent.

They are then ready for roasting in your kitchen oven. 200 -230 degrees until they are all the same colour - you can vary the depth, but keep an eye on them. Could take as little as 20 minutes to roast a thin layer but will take longer if you have a thicker layer - up to an inch. Give them a stir during the roasting process to roast then evenly.

We then grind them in a mortar and pestle. The ground coffee can be stored in the fridge, or the unroasted bean can be stored in airtight jars ready for roasting.

The DPI have more detailed info on how to process coffee at home - it tastes great and its nice to know you have grown it.

Comment

All that work and then they go and mess it up by grinding it with a mortar and pestle then store it in the fridge.

What a pity!

Comment

All that work and then they go and mess it up by grinding it with a mortar and pestle then store it in the fridge.
                  : ;D

Comment

Peeling, fermenting the beans; drying them = lots of work

Im going to stick to buying them green and roasting my own which is already alot of work

Jas

Comment

"Peeling" is a bit of an exaggeration. You just squeeze one end and the seed shoots into the bucket. Takes maybe 2 second per bean. QLD DPI also covers coffee processing at home. http://www2.dpi.qld.gov.au/horticulture/5471.html

Comment

Originally posted by Al_Cappuccino link=1214659531/0#9 date=1214793245
                        Peeling, fermenting the beans; drying them = lots of work
                        Or you could just eat them and then... Oh, never mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Thundergod link=1214659531/0#4 date=1214745347
                          I dont think I need a machine for harvesting so Ill wait for KK to come back with the results of his queries.
                          Yes I was wondering whether you might plant them .75m apart and use the harvester on one side only, or plant them at 3m and bore up the middle.

I keep mine indoors in pots, so I could vary the harvesting procedure from year to year! (after taking pots outside of course)

Comment

LOL

I have one growing on my balcony that I got off evilbay.
                            It is doing well - but Melbourne is not known for its coffee plantations

Any idea how many years before I might get enough beans to make 1 espresso?

Comment

Ive read about one in a pot cropping after 2 years.

Comment

Working...
                              X