X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choosing coffee for coffee plunger

Is there any difference between coffee for plunger and espresso machine,
    which brand should I choose?
    Are the stuffs on Coles/Woolies shelves any good?

Re: Choosing coffee for coffee plunger

Whatever you do, dont touch the stuff from supermarkets as this isnt fresh.
    Your options are to buy preground in small amounts from a local roaster or fresh coffee outlet or to buy whole beans and grind yourself as requred.
    Both options will give a far superior flavour than supermarket coffee.

Mal

Comment

Originally posted by bolb link=1215310732/0#1 date=1215311111
      Your options are to buy preground in small amounts from a local roaster or fresh coffee outlet

Mal
      Thanks Mal for replying - any suggestion for such places in Sydney?

Comment

I would try the site sponsors on the left of the site, in particular Cuppacoffee who are in the sydney southern suburbs

Mal

Comment

Most definitely.

Firstly there is the grind to consider. In espresso we typically brew for say 20 to 30 seconds...extremely short. For plunger we brew for anywhere between 3 and 4 minutes. The longer your brew time, the coarser your coffee has to be. Plunger is in fact the coarsest grind you will ever need for any brewing method.

To get the best flavours in a plunger, you need to roast coffee a lot lighter than what is used for espresso. Whilst espresso roasts may be good, you can get even better with light roasted single origins specifically roasted light for plunger/syphon/drip.

The best single origin as a non espresso brew I have ever had was just recently, a fresh picked and processed El Salvador pacamara varietal air freighted to Australia through a syphon.

Comment

Originally posted by Wushoes - David S link=1215310732/0#4 date=1215337200
            air freighted to Australia through a syphon.
            I think youre one comma shy.

Comment

Working...
            X