Books about coffee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Books about coffee

Just wondering if you guys have any recommendation of a good book on coffee?

Re: Books about coffee

Hi Afton

Depends on what you are looking for? Are you looking for a how to, history, general information etc? Espresso Quest, sold in BeanBay would be a good start, as it is a great read with great photos. You will definitely learn something.

Ben

Comment

Hi Afton

I can also commend Espresso Quest. I have read about 1/5 of the book. The author writes well, he engages the reader in his quest for perfection in coffee from the growing to the brewing by the barista. The photos are excellent and the book is well typeset and produced. Its a very good "coffee table" book also to just leave lying around for friends to have a look at whilst they sip your coffee as you can open it just about anywhere and start reading.

Mike

Comment

Have bought and read too many coffee books for a newbie. :-[

Just finished an older one I found called "The Perfect Cup" by Timothy James Castle. Very good country, region and estate break downs of coffee bean growing, processing styles and quality. I enjoyed it.

Comment

If chemistry doesnt bore you, you should buy the Illy book.

Some others books and websites listed in the thread below.
          http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1207724527

Comment

Theres heaps of books on plantations and processing...theyre all about $200+ each though.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben_S link=1215543548/0#1 date=1215549339

Espresso Quest, sold in BeanBay would be a good start, as it is a great read with great photos. You will definitely learn something.

Ben
              Im curious about the authors name - Instaurator - is that a real name?

Comment

Its his real name.

http://www.mountaintopcoffee.com.au/assets/Courier%20Mail%20-%20Master%20of%20the%20brew%20_Mar%2005_.pdf

Comment

Did you know Instaurator is the only WBC certified judge ever to score 100% on sensory?

Comment

Originally posted by Wushoes - David S link=1215543548/0#8 date=1217333545
                    Did you know Instaurator is the only WBC certified judge ever to score 100% on sensory?
                    Woot! Inny!

Comment

Originally posted by Wushoes - David S link=1215543548/0#8 date=1217333545
                      David do you mean he gave a score of 100% to a contestant
                      or
                      His sensory perception is at a level of 100%

KK

Comment

Hi all

Another excellent book is Scott Raos "The Professional Baristas Handbook". Its one of the few books that has some data on aspects such as the percolation of water through the coffee puck, the extraction process, basket shape and other aspects of "puckology". It also has sections on grinding, milk techniques etc.

I would certainly recommend this book as its technical content is excellent but its also written very well.

Mike

Comment

I have an awesome book called

"Coffee floats Tea sinks"
                          (Through history and technology to a complete understanding.)

by Ian Bersten it is a fantastic, interesting and knowledgeable read.

Craig.

Comment

not so much a technical guide (no technique here), more a novel of sorts but a good read nonetheless.
                            "the devils cup"

Comment

I have read the devils cup - really enjoyed.

Another good read is Black Gold - more historical and factual than the devils cup - which was more of a travel book I think.

Black Gold shows what an unbelievable impact that the coffee trade has had on the world.

Comment

Working...
                              X