disgusting cafe coffee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• disgusting cafe coffee

hi everyone, is it just me or is it hard to get a decent cup of coffee these days outside of a capital city at a cafe ?
    i am in Newcastle and friends and i had sussed out some cafes where we could get a consistent great cup of coffee, very few and far between indeed, i like my coffee to be not only hot i.e. cant drink it in 3 mouthfuls and i actually like it to taste like coffee ;D

how sad is it when you have to resort to going to GJs just so you can have a consistent cup of coffee and even that is a struggle lately

at the end of the day surely a poor cup of coffee from a cafe purely comes down to incompetence ?
    had a friend just come back from staying in Melb CBD and he said he did not have one poor coffee whilst down there

Banjo

Re: disgusting cafe coffee

Originally posted by Banjo link=1217640728/0#0 date=1217640728
    ...hi everyone, is it just me or is it hard to get a decent cup of coffee these days outside of a capital city at a cafe? ... Had a friend just come back from staying in Melb CBD and he said he did not have one poor coffee whilst down there ...
    Gday Banjo - I reckon its all a bit relative mate.

Ive had some repulsive shots from some reputedly great yet over-rated cafes in Melb CBD, & Ive had some great extractions in regional areas of Oz (notedly Yandina at Pioneer ... free plug Jason, do I get a kg of beans mate! ;D)

I suppose thats why most of us here at CS roast our own - Andy offers superb greens every month to entice, & the cupping is by far better & more satisfying than venturing to a dubious cafe & paying for your poison thats often poorly prepared by an under-paid, disinterested barista only interested in keeping their job behind their machine because it pays their Uni/TAFE/rent/food/clubbing expenses ... and the owner instructing such barista to use as little grind as possible in the pf to minimise over-heads. :P

Basically if youre not happy, roast your own mate

Tony

Comment

GrindOnDemand wrote:
      the cupping is by far better & more satisfying than venturing to a dubious cafe & paying for your poison thats often poorly prepared by an under-paid, disinterested barista only interested in keeping their job behind their machine because it pays their Uni/TAFE/rent/food/clubbing expenses ... and the owner instructing such barista to use as little grind as possible in the pf to minimise over-heads
      Bingo

Tony i am definitely going to start looking into sourcing some gear for home roasting but seems the biggest problem will be getting the beans because they sell out so quick

Banjo

Comment

Banjo
        Pioneer roaster has green beans for sale on there site via the online shop
        So you can start right away

KK

Comment

banjo, if you are starting out on your home roasting journey then I suggest you take up the offer of the starter pack in the beanbay section - you wont get better value!

Comment

thanks KK/Dennis

checked out Pioneer and yep i will definitely get a CS starter pack

still a few weeks away from getting a machine and grinder so happy to keep researching on the roasting side at this stage

just getting back to drink temperature though, i know its possible to have a decent HOT coffee because ive had them in the past but what is the general consensus or norm for temperature ?

excuse my ignorance but is it that much harder to make them hotter, like are you treading a fine line and the quality of the coffee can be effected by having it to hot ?

*edit* i guess i should add at this stage i drink caps when i head out but that will change when i start experimenting at home

Banjo

Comment

just getting back to drink temperature though, i know its possible to have a decent HOT coffee because ive had them in the past but what is the general consensus or norm for temperature

Banjo
              When extracting the coffee the general rule for brew temp is 90 deg Celsius

You can make your cuppachino hotter when adding the milk
              Some people like milk temp less than 60 deg Celsius
              I like it about between 60 - 65 deg Celsius and that would be my personal upper limit,
              I would class 65 deg C as hot but not hot enough to burn your whiskers

Hope that helps

KK

Comment

sure did, thanks KK

what is the standard practice in cafes in regard to warming/heating the cups ?

has anyone ever measured what effect using a cold cup has in regard to the temperature ?

Banjo

Comment

what is the standard practice in cafes in regard to warming/heating the cups ?

Banjo
                  Generally the cup warmer does the job for me and that’s what cafes rely on for heating the cups as well

If cups are cold I run them under the hot water tap and wipe dry before pulling a shot.

has anyone ever measured what effect using a cold cup has in regard to the temperature
                  Probably but not me? :-/
                  Sorry cant help on this one but I am sure there will be someone that can answer this question and then we will both know  
                  KK

Comment

Originally posted by Banjo link=1217640728/0#5 date=1217663524
                    thanks KK/Dennis

checked out Pioneer and yep i will definitely get a CS starter pack  

still a few weeks away from getting a machine and grinder so happy to keep researching on the roasting side at this stage

just getting back to drink temperature though, i know its possible to have a decent HOT coffee because ive had them in the past but what is the general consensus or norm for temperature ?

excuse my ignorance but is it that much harder to make them hotter, like are you treading a fine line and the quality of the coffee can be effected by having it to hot ?

*edit* i guess i should add at this stage i drink caps when i head out but that will change when i start experimenting at home

Banjo
                    Banjo..  A mate of mine likes his coffee that hot, that it scalds...   Thus the issues of what is good for one may not be for another..

Old saying... Coffee Boiled is coffee spoiled...  True even for good instant..

Why the chock sprinkle on some drinks... I have heard it said that it was to hide the smell and taste of scalded milk..

Thus... In an ideal world the following is a guide... but is subject to the tastes of each individual.

Water presented to the coffee grinds at ~90C - 92C  To do this the PF needs to be warm, which will also warm the grinds and when the water hits you get good oils etc and your not loosing too much heat.

It falls through the air to you collection vessel.  Here you stand to loose even more heat as you may have a large mug but only 20 - 30 ml of warm coffee nectar.  If you into physics and all the maths you can work out all the heat losses etc.  

Then it may sit before the Milk is added...  As stated previously and if you look at all the milk temp gauges.. 60 - 65 is the accepted target value.

Once again... How do you know ... Temp gauge or by feel ?  Problem with many places is that every one has a different feel and can become de sensitised to heat to some degree..   CONSISTENCY - Either use a temp gauge or re check and calibrate your hand etc.

Then we add either stretched milk,  frothy milk or even outright foam to our mug which is loosing heat.  Now depending on the viscosity / status of teh milk it will do a better job at holding the temp.

Either way, you drink will end up at a temp of less than 60C and could be much less.   It can also be so hot that you get blisters....  

Not unlike Beans, Grind, Tamp etc they all have an impact on the final product..  

The trick is finding cafes that  are consistent  and too your liking.  Be willing to try others, but  use your observation skills to get an understanding first.  I have been to many places, where  what I have seen - means I do not even bother to try the coffee.

Trust this rant adds to your understanding and does not detract or discourage..

Comment

Originally posted by Banjo link=1217640728/0#7 date=1217701651
                      has anyone ever measured what effect using a cold cup has in regard to the temperature ?

Banjo
                      One of the judging notes from Hazel at the Di Bartoli Aroma Festival shootout was that my espresso cup was not warm enough and it detracted from the taste.

So although that doesnt answer your question regarding the effect on temperature it may be more important, being an effect on taste.

Comment

Originally posted by Thundergod link=1217640728/0#10 date=1217738966
                        Originally posted by Banjo link=1217640728/0#7 date=1217701651

Banjo
                        One of the judging notes from Hazel at the Di Bartoli Aroma Festival shootout was that my espresso cup was not warm enough and it detracted from the taste.

So although that doesnt answer your question regarding the effect on temperature it may be more important, being an effect on taste.
                        Wow! ;D

Comment

I miss one comma and Dennis has to notice.

Comment

Originally posted by Thundergod link=1217640728/0#12 date=1217752274
                            I miss one comma and Dennis has to notice.
                            Yeah, but you have to agree, it is funny.

Comment

So who got first prize again?
                              From judge Hazel

KK

Comment

Working...
                              X