Extending the useable life of one-way bags

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extending the useable life of one-way bags

I dont know if its just me, but 500g gusseted valve bags dont seem to last more than a couple of uses. I find that the resealable strips come adrift from the bag rather than just opening. Maybe Im just too eager to get at the contents first thing in the morning. Not such a problem with the smaller bags - less resealable strip, I suspect.

Here is my solution. Im sure there are others. I got two large bag clips and made them into one very large bag clip.

cheers
    Andrew

Re: Extending the useable life of one-way bags

A bag resumes useful service.

Comment

Excellent.
      Australian ingenuity. Reuse like this also reduces waste in the rubbish tips as well as saving money for more coffee beans.
      Well done.

Mike

Comment

Kudos ajay

I will adopt this in my sealing technique if it becomes necessary

KK

Comment

Thanks Mike, I just wish Id thought of the bag clip in the first place.

Comment

Excellent idea ajay..... 8-)

Ive never seen these "bag clips" though ( a bit sheltered out here in the bush :). Where do you get them from?

Mal.

Comment

Brilliant !

Comment

I have seen them (in various sizes) sold at Ikea, but there must be other places that have them.

Comment

Originally posted by Mal link=1218979308/0#5 date=1218988850
                  Excellent idea ajay..... 8-)

Ive never seen these "bag clips" though ( a bit sheltered out here in the bush :). Where do you get them from?

Mal.
                  Hi Mal,

these ones came from a $2-style variety shop (10 assorted sizes for ..$2) but you can get them at IKEA http://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/70083252
                  or even Ebay, although the postage is a bit of a shame

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/BAG-CLIPS-SET...2em118Q2el1247

cheers
                  Andrew

Comment

Time for a trip to IKEA by the sounds of it. I need some more meatballs anyway.

Cheers

Comment

great ingenuity, but from memory there was a thread here a while back regarding re-using one way valve bags - i think the outcome was basically to ensure a VERY thorough cleaning b/w uses to try to rid old rancid oils from upsetting the new bean batch.

aaron

Comment

Originally posted by roknee link=1218979308/0#10 date=1219026535
                        great ingenuity, but from memory there was a thread here a while back regarding re-using one way valve bags - i think the outcome was basically to ensure a VERY thorough cleaning b/w uses to try to rid old rancid oils from upsetting the new bean batch.
                        Yeah I picked up a spray bottle of Isopropyl Alcohol from Bunnings to fix that

And the Impulse sealer does the rest. I managed to get almost 5 seals out of one bag, Im sure I could go tighter though.

ajay, thats a great little mod youve down there. Im eyeing off the ones keeping my bag of chips fresh now haha.

Comment

Originally posted by roknee link=1218979308/0#10 date=1219026535

aaron
                          I line my valved bags with cheap freezer bags.
                          No need to clean ever.
                          Just toss out the old freezer bag and line with another.

Comment

good one yeeza and tg

Comment

Add ajays idea to mine and the bags may last forever.

Comment

Working...
                              X