What is a Ristretto?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is a Ristretto?

I was at a place that serves coffee tonight, and was bluntly told by someone that has 10 years experience making coffee around the world that a Ristretto was the "Middle" part of a pour.
    From what I have read, and the way that I have been trained, the first 15-20ml of the pour is whats known as a Ristretto.
    Its a restricted pour, thus being a Ristretto.
    I go to places where they know more about coffee than I will ever know, and watch them pour my coffee, and I have never seen a Middle pour.
    Which of us is right?

Re: What is a Ristretto?

Ristretto--restricted.
    Usually restricted to the first part of the shot, i.e. pour cut short, but I guess they could define it any way they wanted.
    How did it taste?
    Greg

Comment

After being told that I had no idea what I was talking about, i went elsewhere.
      Maybe if I had have dropped the big names, or had have made coffee around the world, I might know more....
      Can you tell Im not that impressed...

Comment

AHHH! theres nothing like good customer relations!
        Greg

Comment

And the customer relations where sadly lacking at that shop, which is surprising, as it always seems to be full of people....
          The uneducated masses-Sheep...

Comment

Hi Ghost....

If you do a search of the forum for "Ristretto" Im sure you will glean a wealth of info on the subject. As youve already gathered, nothing is set in concrete where coffee is concerned...

Cheers,
            Mal.

Comment

I asked for a Ristretto once and they said they didnt have rice dishes on the menu!!!

Comment

Originally posted by greenman link=1220016954/0#6 date=1220049308
                I asked for a Ristretto once and they said they didnt have rice dishes on the menu!!!
                Haha
                Thats funny ;D

KK

Comment

Originally posted by greenman link=1220016954/0#6 date=1220049308
                  Having a mild form of dyslexia, spelling and pronouncing some words get me into strife..

I have on a number of occasions made a mess of;

1: Ristretto and asked for a well known rice disk :-)
                  2: Affogato in addition to which my mother says as Affo Farto

A restricted time ie. the first 2/3 of the standard time.

However, I also insist that it be from a full double shot and not a single...

As to the middle... I guess some could do it and promote a unique coffee shot... But hell, why waist the first few drops :-) My taste buds would knot know the diff.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghost Who Walks link=1220016954/0#0 date=1220016953
                    I was at a place that serves coffee tonight, and was bluntly told by someone that has 10 years experience making coffee around the world that a Ristretto was the "Middle" part of a pour.
                    From what I have read, and the way that I have been trained, the first 15-20ml of the pour is whats known as a Ristretto.
                    I go to places where they know more about coffee than I will ever know, and watch them pour my coffee, and I have never seen a Middle pour.
                    Which of us is right?
                    I thought thats called a middle pour ristretto.
                    To be honest the guy sounds like a dick.

Comment

I digress somewhat...

To me a ristretto is a double shot (14g) of coffee extracted in over 15s (varies by bean.. and how long post-roast the bean has matured), and the shot is "restricted" far before it turns pale/watery --> the opposite of a lungo.

It emphasizes the body of the coffee and subdues the acidic notes. It is very savoury/umami and intense, rather than sour or bitter.

A ristretto requires grinder recalibration to prolong the time to blonding and to get the ~25-30ml in a proper ~30s pour time.

Comment

Originally posted by cyrilgoldenrock link=1220016954/0#9 date=1220064748
                        Originally posted by Ghost Who Walks link=1220016954/0#0 date=1220016953
                        Which of us is right?
                        I thought thats called a middle pour ristretto.
                        To be honest the guy sounds like a dick.
                        Actually it was a girl, who didnt look old enough to have worked around the world as a Barista...
                        But then, what would I know? Im only a member of the public, Not a Barista....

Comment

What is a Ristretto?
                          ...what you get when you order an espresso from most of the well known Baristas?
                          (they are getting better though)

My take on a Ristretto is the same amount of ground coffee and the same pour time as an espresso but its restricted to half the volume.
                          (it could be a finer grind or an updose or a heavier tamp to get the same punchline in a different way)

Comment

If you ask for a ristretto at a good coffee shop you should get the best of what they have to offer in a shot I reckon - tight short pour with heaps of rich flavour and low or nil acidity. I ask for them at Naked Coffee or Campos and dont get blank looks...just a very nice coffee. I normally pour ristrettos at home. I love them and even in a standard (itialian standard not typical Australian - except the better cafes) flat white. In slightly larger milk coffees I still like the smoothness of them, although I know a lot of people who prefer the full volume to cut through the milk. Having said that you can always pour a double ristretto for that larger milk coffee...

Cheers

Comment

Hi Ghost

My understanding of a ristretto that it is a restricted short black - its just the crema of the espresso, served in a warmed demi-tasse cup.

This is about 15ml, and extraction time is 15 seconds - made under correct tamping and grind conditions.
                              As for gram age, if I ordered one out in a espresso bar/cafe,
                              I would expect a double = 16gm (8gm per 15ml) any more ground coffee in the basket will result in a over the top syrupy espresso, and can end up tasting like Bonox instead of a sweet mind blowing coffee!

Bean quality and roasting if not perfect will reduce the viciousness’ and mls of the crema.

I hope this information is helpful to your quest!

warm regards,

Mahalia

Comment

Working...
                              X