how to make a double ristretto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to make a double ristretto

people told me a long black requires a double ristretto as a base, so do I use a double basket to start with and how many ml is the accepted standard and is it still a 25sec pour? thanks

Re: how to make a double ristretto

Originally posted by summercrema link=1225949445/0#0 date=1225949445
    people told me a long black requires a double ristretto as a base, so do I use a double basket to start with and how many ml is the accepted standard and is it still a 25sec pour? thanks

Long Black / Americano / Cafe Lungo: Fill a 170-220ml cup ½ to ¾ full (90 to 150ml) with hot water and top with a double espresso (50-60ml) or doppio ristretto (30-40ml) served with a saucer, spoon and sugar.

Comment

I tend to go with about 40ml of espresso over the hot water and providing the shot is as it should be then sugar wont be required.
      If my shot is a little off (and lets face it, i am no perfect barista) i still drink the coffee with no sugar so as to get me to think about what i may have done differently during the espresso process.

Mal

Comment

I prefer my long blacks with a double espresso rather than double ristretto.

Comment

i tend to agree with pioneer here
          to me the beauty of a ristretto is in the mouthfeel, and when you dilute the ristretto you lose that...

Comment

Speaking of this, I have become a recent espresso/ristretto convert and learning to enjoy coffee without milk.

If im at a cafe and served a short black with a glass of water, is there a correct procedure e.g. sip of water to cleanse the palate then a sip of coffee?

Comment

Now I have to drink it the right way or look like an uneducated buffoon?

Greek coffee always comes with water and Ive never sipped it first unless Im thirsty.
              Ive always thought it was there to rinse your mouth afterwards.

Comment

Originally posted by flynn_aus link=1225949445/0#5 date=1226023562

If im at a cafe and served a short black with a glass of water, is there a correct procedure e.g. sip of water to cleanse the palate then a sip of coffee?
                If the coffee is good - throw the water over the shoulder - if the coffee is bad - throw the coffee over!

Comment

Originally posted by runfast link=1225949445/0#7 date=1226036412
                  If the coffee is good - throw the water over the shoulder - if the coffee is bad - throw the coffee over!
                  That explains your CS username then

Originally posted by Thundergod link=1225949445/0#6 date=1226023789
                  Now I have to drink it the right way or look like an uneducated buffoon?

Greek coffee always comes with water and Ive never sipped it first unless Im thirsty.
                  Ive always thought it was there to rinse your mouth afterwards.
                  Nah, I just wondered why water is nearly always served with a SB. I dont need anyones help to look the buffoon :P

Comment

i dont know if this is entirely correct, but a coffee technician once told me, that because coffee is a diuretic, espressos should be drunken with water

Comment

Thats not logical soupy.

You can drink the water before or after to offset the effect.

Even soup would do.

You dont need to drink the water WITH the espresso.

Comment

Ok, I dont know if this is the definitive answer but it works for me:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuban_espresso

Finer Cuban restaurants will serve a patron a glass of water to cleanse the palate before drinking the espresso, although some Cubans think the water is to dilute the café once it hits your digestive system. For purist coffee drinkers, drinking water after the espresso brands one as a non-appreciative espresso drinker. In some circles, an acceptable end to a Cuban espresso is to lightly dunk the tip of a Cuban cigar in the bottom of the demitasse and then light it up. A shot of Cuban espresso is typically served in small amounts and is not drunk from a large coffee cup.

Comment

Just bumping this for Summercrema as I do not think that the actual question has been answered.
                          I do not know the answer but Im sure someone here has prepared a doppio ristretto before

Comment

I drink my doppio ristretto differently straight or with milk. I use about 20 gm of beans in a synesso double basket in my VBM.

For straight I usually aim get a 15 second pull with about 15-20 ml in the cup for a sweet, chocolate burst.

When I make a piccolo latte (enough steamed milk to top up a 100 ml glass) I aim for 20 seconds and 25 ml.

While Im sure there are standards somewhere, I now go with what tastes right to me. There is also some variation to the above depending on the bean.

Greg

Comment

A traditional double ristretto would be 30-45ml in 25 seconds using a finer grind than would be used for a double espresso.

However, variations are many including not adjusting the grinder and extracting for less time (ie 15 seconds - or simply taking the cup away after the first 1/3 or half of the pour).

Comment

Working...
                              X