Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much do you drink? What is your limit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much do you drink? What is your limit?

It seems everyone drinks different amounts of coffee. I personally restrict myself during the week to one single shot espresso in the morning, and usually two shots on weekend days. I try to be moderate otherwise I probably wouldnt sleep or Id cause myself harm.

People think Im crazy only drinking one a day. When I do experiments with my machine Ill taste and spit shots like a wine taster.

So I ask coffeesnobs - how much will you drink in a day? What do you consider your upper limit? What effects you first - insomnia or heart palputation? Ive read forums where devout coffee drinkers sell off their dream machine and grinder because they must get rid of it for health reasons. I dont want my relationship with coffee to end that way!!

jprm

Re: How much do you drink? What is your limit?

Like you I try not to over do my consumption as Im paranoid about the health impacts of drinking too much coffee but also I find if I drink too much it affects my eating. So I like to limit my consumption to around 2-3 cups a day.

Comment

Two double-shot ristretto lattes, last one prior to 2pm. Any more caffeine than that... Im wired like a jerky puppet.

Comment

My 3 doubles a day does not give me insomnia or heart palpitations.

Comment

I normally put away 3 coffees a day on average, usually a couple of flat whites and an espresso.  The time of day has no bearing on my coffee consumption - I could quite easily drink a double espresso and then promptly climb into bed and go to sleep!

Ive never discovered my limit. I think the most Ive had in one day was 5 and it didnt affect me in any way.

Comment

One double shot latte week day mornings, 2 double shot lattes some time between the time I wake up and go to bed on weekends. Thats my limit. Stomach starts to hurt if I drink any more.

I used to drink one more during the day at work (week days) but our coffee set-up is currently pretty pathetic.  . We dont have room in the staff kitchen for a decent espresso machine but I think Ill start pushing for a better grinder to go with the plunger(s) we do have.

Comment

I usually stick to 2-3 cups a day. Espresso or syphon/filter brew. Doesnt seem to have any affect on my health. 9pm is my caffeine-curfew, unless Im planning on being up late.

Then sometimes I go completely mental and drink like two dozen shots in 90 minutes doing research, or go on a café crawl and drink a load of coffee in a few hours (they were all awesome but, Im so pretty sure that makes it ok ).

I feel a bit ill after doing something like that, and apparently I get a little flushed, but Im fine within a few hours. I dont do that kinda thing too often though

Comment

2-4 doubles a day - espresso/ristretto
                Filter/syphon - sometimes 4 small cups + usually a double or two later.

Weekends are a different story, usually closer to 4+ doubles.

Note that most of my doubles are ristrettos not espresso always.

Then, like Michelle, will drink 2 dozen in the name of science, or on a cafe crawl I run out of fingers and toes to keep count.

Doesnt usually affect me too bad though most days. I can have one right before bed.

Only been sick from too many coffees about twice.... where im absolutely wrecked mentally, but physically cant sleep - thats the worst. I dont love it. Both have been this year, including one night in Melbs a few months ago.

Comment

I usually have 3-4 ristretto based drinks a day, none after 4pm usually and I get a good nights sleep.
                  I helped out at the WA Barista championships last week and got to taste all of the competitors coffees and signature drinks, I didnt have a good nights sleep after that!!!

Comment

I drink about 3 to 4 ristretto based drinks a day as well but mainly tea at work. But some days I might have just 1 cuppa.

Comment

3 flat whites a day using a single basket. I can have the 3rd straight before bed with no problems. Have been cracking off ectopic beats my entire life, gave up coffee once,(worst 3 months of my life) and made no difference.

Comment

Hi All
                        Now back up tp 22 ristrettos a day. none after 6pm, except mondays. most shots in a day was 34, felt a little shakey.
                        already suffer insomnia, and doc said coffee wasnt the cause.

LE

Comment

Originally posted by Sketchy link=1228059443/0#11 date=1228226560
                          Now back up tp 22 ristrettos a day. none after 6pm, except mondays. most shots in a day was 34, felt a little shakey. already suffer insomnia, and doc said coffee wasnt the cause.

Me, one double espresso/ristretto (depending on mood and beans) flat white plus one double espresso/ristretto. Occasionally an extra single espresso. Nothing after 12PM.

Comment

8-10 espresso a day, 2 of those in a double shot cap in the morning and all espresso after that. A day can also include up to 15 cups at a cupping, even though you spit you still absorb caffeine.

Last Thursday we were doing barista comp training, I had a small sip of over 200 espresso and caps. No heart problems but I felt I was going to throw up for hours after.

Comment

Sketchy,

At 22 ristrettos a day you are well above what most medical professionals would say would contribute to poor sleep. The usual limit for no sleep effects is well less than 10. Of course YMMV.

Greg
                              (Dealing with insomniac clients daily.)

Comment

Working...
                              X