Obsessed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obsessed?

I think I have reached "Obsession" level, in less  than a month I have gone from "wanting something to steam 4 cups of milk" to owning Silvia and Rocky, a Pullman tamper, popper, a starter pack and I am waiting to taste my first roast (which was a bit quick so I will need to mod the popper)

As a result my ears pricked and my heart started racing when I heard, loud and clear from the radio "Green beans $3.99 a kilo" the next word was "lettuce" and my heart sank - the other green beans.

Am I totally and utterly obsessed or are there more stages to come? [smiley=undecided.gif]

Re: Obsessed?

Originally posted by coffee mum link=1231467203/0#0 date=1231467203
    I think I have reached "Obsession" level, in less  than a month I have gone from "wanting something to steam 4 cups of milk" to owning Silvia and Rocky, a Pullman tamper, popper, a starter pack and I am waiting to taste my first roast (which was a bit quick so I will need to mod the popper)

As a result my ears pricked and my heart started racing when I heard, loud and clear from the radio "Green beans $3.99 a kilo" the next word was "lettuce" and my heart sank - the other green beans.

Am I totally and utterly obsessed or are there more stages to come? [smiley=undecided.gif]
    You have only just left the front gate... The journey is never ending... Enjoy.

Comment

After modifying the popper all items will start to look like potential roasting equipment.

Comment

The worst/best thing I did was start up my old Breville Roma about 2 months ago. I hadnt used it in a year, but before I packed it away I was enjoying daily/twice daily coffees from it. Coffees were now pretty crappy, so I figured I should get an unpressurised basket and a metal tamper. Only $12 for the basket and $25 for the tamper, upgrading is cheap as! Of course, this was followed by further crappy coffee, and so I figured time to upgrade the machine. Nearly went with the 6910 as it looked very nice, but so glad I ended up with a Silvia. Figured a Sunbeam EM0480 would be a good grinder for now. That has lasted about 5-6 weeks and I just ordered a Mazzer Mini. got a good tamper, but not a great one. Have managed to pull some good shots with it so far, so Ill wait a week or two before getting my Pullman made. Add in a naked p/f, a couple of synesso baskets & blind filter and Im pushing $2K. Some consolation in knowing that I can be comfortable for a little while, and I probably wont bother upgrading the grinder until money doesnt matter to me anymore. Of course, should be moving into the new house soon, at which time Ill be making a nifty Coretto roaster.

DAMN YOU UPGRADITIS! Another notch on your bedpost...

Comment

Im trying to scale back the outward signs of obsession. It is what I have become known for amongst family and friends, to the extent that every single person apologises beforehand when offering me coffee, all eyes turn to me in the expectation of a withering critique in cafes and restaurants, I get introduced to random waiting staff and baristas as an expert, so make sure its a good one. Its become a disability.

Comment

Originally posted by þ[ch945
            [ch8467][ch273][ch915][ch1209][ch1179] link=1231467203/0#4 date=1231476469]Im trying to scale back the outward signs of obsession. It is what I have become known for amongst family and friends, to the extent that every single person apologises beforehand when offering me coffee, all eyes turn to me in the expectation of a withering critique in cafes and restaurants, I get introduced to random waiting staff and baristas as an expert, so make sure its a good one. Its become a disability.
            Oh so true.....

I do not consider my self an Expert or even one with a great pallet...   I know what I like and my observations and smell assist in my understanding and ability to discern the good from the bad.

But this status  that  
             I have become known for amongst family and friends, to the extent that every single person apologises beforehand when offering me coffee, all eyes turn to me in the expectation of a withering critique in cafes and restaurants, I get introduced to random waiting staff and baristas as an expert, so make sure its a good one.
            It is a disability and I wonder how the REAL top guns must feel and manage any number of situations?

Comment

This sounds like a list.

Fw:Fw:Re:Fw:Top ten signs youre a coffee snob

Comment

[smiley=smiley.gif] Next step taken down the path, have just finished my first cup of Ethiopian yirgacheffe, about 20 hours since roasting, way better than what I bought from the local cafe/roastery last week. If that is the best I can do Ill be a happy little learner snob for years to come. Palate training on the horizon?

Due to Shed rule No.1 - Do not touch/operate any tools more complex than a screwdriver, unless you are lord and master of the shed. I will have to wait until Sunday to get the popper modified, until then Ill be happy drinking what I have already roasted and researching my other beans [smiley=laugh.gif]

Caryn

Comment

Osessed, whos obsessed?, not me, in less than two years Ive gone from a drip filter to a Saeco Via Venezia, added a Sunbeam EM450 grinder, had to have a Silvia, had to PID it, had to have a Rocky, modded it to stepless, just moved up to an Isomac HX and Silvia is on her way to a snoblet in Victoria at this very moment. Popper roaster until I killed it, now a Corretto, DMM datalogger, laptop, bean cooler a cupboard full of green beans, but one can never have enough green beans, gotta get more!!
                  Its a great obsession to have, I have met some fantastic people through my newfound passion for the bean and all things that go with it.
                  Go for it Caryn.......................cheers gm

Comment

Thats some journey gm. You have my vote for the obsessive CSer of the year (2008). The Isomac looks very nice indeed but I cant help thinking how long before you lash out on the LM GS3 + Mazzer SJ.

Should we run a poll folks ;D

Comment

Originally posted by Thundergod link=1231467203/0#2 date=1231473947
                      After modifying the popper all items will start to look like potential roasting equipment.
                      Here I was thinking I was the only one. Toasters, wall heaters, food mixers...

God help you if you have to visit the hardware store. It takes about three hours to get back out again.

Comment

Originally posted by greenman link=1231467203/0#8 date=1231481324
                        Osessed, whos obsessed?, not me, in less than two years Ive gone from a drip filter to a Saeco Via Venezia, added a Sunbeam EM450 grinder, had to have a Silvia, had to PID it, had to have a Rocky, modded it to stepless, just moved up to an Isomac HX and Silvia is on her way to a snoblet in Victoria at this very moment. Popper roaster until I killed it, now a  Corretto, DMM datalogger, laptop, bean cooler a cupboard full of green beans, but one can never have enough green beans, gotta get more!!
                        Its a great obsession to have, I have met some fantastic people through my newfound passion for the bean and all things that go with it.
                        Go for it Caryn.......................cheers gm
                        I think Im getting this obsession under control.

My bean stash is under 100kg and Ive had no feelings of anxiety.

Comment

Originally posted by coffee mum link=1231467203/0#7 date=1231478445
                          Due to Shed rule No.1 - Do not touch/operate any tools more complex than a screwdriver, unless you are lord and master of the shed. I will have to wait until Sunday to get the popper modified, until then Ill be happy drinking what I have already roasted and researching my other beans [smiley=laugh.gif]
                          LOL.... [smiley=laugh.gif]

If I tried to enforce rules like that in our household I just know that I would end up wearing most of my tools very uncomfortably indeed. Ive always found it much more beneficial to show my better half how to properly use tools and as a result, there isnt much that she can not do these days. She even insisted that I show her how to use a jack-hammer a few years ago when we were putting up a patio in rocky ground. Should have seen the looks on the neighbours faces.... Priceless ;D

Mal.

Comment

I used to live in Franklin St so Roasting and brewing your own is by far the best way to go unless Traralgon has changed that much in the last 10 years

When the popper wont keep up grab a heat gun for the bigger batches Or bite the bullet and Gene ot Hottop.

12 months ago I was on Plunger and Stupormarket beans ;D That was before 40kg of Green and several to many coffee devices arrived.

Have Fun

Comment

This hobby/obsession/coffee addiction is becoming contagious, daughter heard the same add and came racing to tell me what she had heard and where the shop was, she was crestfallen when I explained that it was the veggie green bean.

TG - I had a think about what could be modded, the only equipment that would be eligible for modification would be a sunbeam vertical grill, but Im not sure what I could do with it. I have discounted the current bread maker, it works too well as a bread/donut/pizza dough/hot cross bun etc. maker. However there is an old barrel vac minus its hose (lost an argument with the back wheel of the car) if I can get a hose for it there is a possibility of a bean cooler happening [smiley=smiley.gif]

How far over the 100kg of green were you before anxiety faded? and how far under do you think you can go before it re-surfaces?

GM, you definitley beat me for obsession, I am not feeling any signs of upgraditis, just aquisitionitis, but more for experience and knowledge at this stage, other than a proper knock box, hubby has agreed that the beetroot tin mod wont last too long.

Mal the Shed rule No.1 was meant for a laugh, I can, and have operated most of the gear out there, drills, trailer, boat, cement mixer (expert mud maker) shovels, wheel barrow, even a hired whakker, but I havent had the opportunity to try a jack hammer.

By chosing to follow that rule I was able to get my dearly beloved involved (other than drinking the results) in what I was doing, and devious little me (apologies CarrieK another one has slipped) was able to explain the roasting process and the need for the popper mod. One of his first questions was "isnt there a machine that does this propperly?" when I told him they started at $700, and the cost of green Vs roasted, he was very happy to help get the popper working.

So the popper now has 44 very neat 6mm holes in 7 rows, very symetrically placed around its body.  And will be wearing a sexy black stocking as a chaff filter.And I have to wait until my shoulder gets better to try it out because I tripped over the BL**** dog while we were doing it [smiley=angry.gif]

Bean flying, Franklin st has changed, it now goes all the way around to Park Lane, there are lots more places to drink coffee, but I havent found one that can make a nice long black. There still isnt anywhere to buy coffee bits and pieces, not even a small milk jug!

My Obsesson is slowly being controlled, I now need to get competent with the toys that I have, and enjoy the jouney, with the help of all on this wonderful site  [smiley=laugh.gif]

Comment

Working...
                              X